Holdsclaw at UConn | The Boneyard

Holdsclaw at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All I know is that Holsclaw won three titles for PHS and when she failed to win a fourth the coach gave her both barrels. I'd be depressed, too.

Reaction Score
My guess is that a portion of her speech will be on depression and her experience with it. Athletes are not exempt from mental illness and with all the pressures they face on and off the court or field, they have a unique perspective . Yes , I agree this is an excellent event for all Uconn athletes to attend.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Are any of you Going?
She is one of the best basketball players of all time.
When she lost her grandmother. Is when she really started having problems.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
not sure the topic of depression is a good punch line but to each their own.....;)

Some people don't have much empathy.

Holdsclaw is one of my all-time favorite players. I can relate to her depression, although not on the same level, and it is a disease that needs to be spoken about. Too many people suffer from depression for years and years before they finally seek help.

Reaction Score
this doesn't sound nice...

The former Vols coach layed into her players, at times, either publicly or privately--one stays in the mind--Ace, who was chewed harshly prior to the UConn/Tn game in Philly--then Ace came up limp and could not be their point guard.

Reaction Score
incredibly timely conversation. suicide research itself is deeply disturbing, because try as they might, they can't come up with confident predictors. So, the best thing is for kids to be conscious of the problem and err on the side of caution.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
All I know is that Holsclaw won three titles for PHS and when she failed to win a fourth the coach gave her both barrels. I'd be depressed, too.

Pat became the first coach (and only for a long time) to win one, two, and three NCs in a row. Had she won her fourth in a row in 1999, there wouldn't have been a sequence- "just" one, two, and four in a row. As it is, Geno won one, two, three, AND four NCs in row later, but both in this respect and in others, Holdsclaw helped Pat set the bar that Geno strove to meet and exceed.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
For some newer fans...Holdsclaw's career didn't pan out as expected in the pros, but she's easily one of the very best collegiate players of all time. She was the female Michael Jordan of her day and was absolutely sensational all four years at Tennessee. It has been nearly 20 years since she was at Tennessee, but if you haven't seen her, watch some footage of her on youtube from her heyday at UT.

1999 Tennessee at Connecticut
1998 99 Tennessee Louisiana Tech
1997 2nd Round Tennessee vs Oregon

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For some newer fans...Holdsclaw's career didn't pan out as expected in the pros, but she's easily one of the very best collegiate players of all time. She was the female Michael Jordan of her day and was absolutely sensational all four years at Tennessee. It has been nearly 20 years since she was at Tennessee, but if you haven't seen her, watch some footage of her on youtube from her heyday at UT.

1999 Tennessee at Connecticut
1998 99 Tennessee Louisiana Tech
1997 2nd Round Tennessee vs Oregon

Agreed. She wore #23 like Michael and had a nice handle and had a true jump shot. She played like a guy. In some ways, she looked like an earlier version of Maya.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Agreed. She wore #23 like Michael and had a nice handle and had a true jump shot. She played like a guy. In some ways, she looked like an earlier version of Maya.

I always thought that, too. Exceptional midrange games, incredibly smooth players who rebounded well for their size and were a step ahead of everyone else at the collegiate level.

Holdsclaw was more post oriented than Moore and Maya was more of a perimeter shooter, but very similar games and similar numbers for their career.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A 4x All American, 3x National Champion. There aren't many players who can say that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Perhaps I could say the same in reverse. All I was doing was giving CH more credit than you did initially.
You doubled up on missing the point so I will explain it to you. It wasn't about CH. She gave all she had, a 4x All American, 3x National Champion. Yet when she didn't win a 4th her coach ripped her in public. I'm sure stwainfan remembers.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
You doubled up on missing the point so I will explain it to you. It wasn't about CH. She gave all she had, a 4x All American, 3x National Champion. Yet when she didn't win a 4th her coach ripped her in public. I'm sure stwainfan remembers.

What I remember is a sobbing Holdclaw walking over to the sidelines at the closing moments of that game and being embraced by her head coach...her mentor...and a woman she has said numerous times was a hugely important part of her life. One of the most poignant moments in sports for me. Broke my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom