Hockey Novice | The Boneyard

Hockey Novice

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Wins against ranked teams, but a handful of losses too. How do teams qualify for the Post season/ Frozen Four. How many teams do? Can UConn?

Reaction Score
Wins against ranked teams, but a handful of losses too. How do teams qualify for the Post season/ Frozen Four. How many teams do? Can UConn?

Unless they run the second half of the season - UConn would be a longshot to qualify this year.

16 team qualify - 6 Auto-bids from D1 Conference Champs and 10 At Large.

Hope this helps but some of the stats are dates:http://www.collegehockeynews.com/info/?d=pwcrpi (the selection committee and bracket info is not current - 2014's)

Other info:

http://www.ncaa.com/championships/icehockey-men/d1/road-to-the-championship

http://www.uscho.com/bracketology/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCONN doesn't even have their full alotment of scholarships yet, and won't have them for two more seasons. With that in mind, it is unreasonable to expect UCONN to make the post season tournament. Give Coach Cavanaugh time to build the program before we place post season expectations on the team.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The tournament is seeded almost entirely based on a ratings system called the Pairwise. So there really isn't much drama in the selections since we know the math as the season goes on.

UConn would need to win the Hockey East Tournament autobid to make the NCAAs

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think we have 7 of the final 9 games against the bottom 4 HE teams. We're 3 games under .500. It's still probably a longshot but getting to .500 should be the goal.

Reaction Score
Top eight teams in the league advance to the quarterfinal round which is a 2 out 3 series played @ higher seed.

I think that's how they used to do it. All 12 teams make the tournament with the top 4 getting a bye. If Uconn finishes in the top 8, they'll have home ice for the first round of the playoffs. If they someone get to 4th or higher, they'll get a bye and then have home ice in the quarterfinals, which would be interesting because the AAC basketball tournament would have games on 2 of the same dates.

Reaction Score
I think that's how they used to do it. All 12 teams make the tournament with the top 4 getting a bye. If Uconn finishes in the top 8, they'll have home ice for the first round of the playoffs. If they someone get to 4th or higher, they'll get a bye and then have home ice in the quarterfinals, which would be interesting because the AAC basketball tournament would have games on 2 of the same dates.

My bad @Jimdish255, @lavuuk153 is correct. Our addition to the conference caused the change... new format this year: http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres1314/201405/may12hea.php

Reaction Score
Sounds good. Where will our "home" games be if we get them? I would think XL based on capacity.

Reaction Score
Would probably have to move to Webster Bank Arena if there is a time conflict.

Reaction Score
Assuming we finish 8th; Mar. 6th, Mar. 7th @XLC |Mar. 14th or 15th at Webster Bank most likely.

Reaction Score
If UConn finished in the top 8 and got home ice for the play in round, that would be a strong showing the school's first year, and the basement of HE is quite bad, a series win over UMass, UNH, or Maine is a very real possibility in that scenario. While an at-large to the NCAA is pretty much mathematically impossible at this point, if UConn found their way to the Garden, that'd be an enormous accomplishment. That's uphill, I don't see them getting to the top 4 for the bye, but with strong goaltending and a hardworking team, UConn is a tough out. I know I'd much prefer BU play someone else in the quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom