Hockey needs a TV contract | The Boneyard

Hockey needs a TV contract

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Why can’t we get some of these road games on TV. Or at least on an accessible streaming channel? It’s frustrating. I’m willing to pay for road games, but we need a reliable way to do it.

Reaction Score
You can watch an online stream of Friday's game at BU for free through BU's website. TV contracts for individual teams are few and far between. At this point, I believe North Dakota and Minnesota are the only two left with actual contracts with a network. UNH might still have something with NH Public TV, don't know offhand. TV deals for hockey aren't the most lucrative and networks don't benefit much from them since ratings are so low. A streaming deal for UConn would be the best bet - ideally following in the footsteps of many other HE schools and offering a live stream for free. BU, Northeastern, Maine, Vermont, and others do this already.

Reaction Score
You can watch an online stream of Friday's game at BU for free through BU's website. TV contracts for individual teams are few and far between. At this point, I believe North Dakota and Minnesota are the only two left with actual contracts with a network. UNH might still have something with NH Public TV, don't know offhand. TV deals for hockey aren't the most lucrative and networks don't benefit much from them since ratings are so low. A streaming deal for UConn would be the best bet - ideally following in the footsteps of many other HE schools and offering a live stream for free. BU, Northeastern, Maine, Vermont, and others do this already.

UConn does have a web stream of home games for various sports including hockey, but it isn't free. Forget what the exact cost is, it is something in the area of $10 a month.

Reaction Score
ND has a home game broadcast deal with NBC Sports.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I know. That never stops me, though.

I was just trying to point out that the bolded text was not correct. Later.

Reaction Score
Why can’t we get some of these road games on TV. Or at least on an accessible streaming channel? It’s frustrating. I’m willing to pay for road games, but we need a reliable way to do it.

I'm a little surprised they haven't thought of streaming their games live on Facebook or Youtube.

Reaction Score

This might be old fashioned, but I always figured UConn hockey would be good programming for CPTV a la WBB

Reaction Score
CPTV would be a great home for all of UConn's home games.

I feel as though UConn hockey has similar market potential as the WBB team in this one way:

I think there is a large demand in Connecticut for meaningful local hockey and I think there is large niche market of people who aren't really fans of the other UConn sports teams that would latch on to the hockey team.

All they need is semi decent local exposure to make it easy for people to follow and I think CPTV would be a great platform for that.

Reaction Score
I feel as though UConn hockey has similar market potential as the WBB team in this one way:

I think there is a large demand in Connecticut for meaningful local hockey and I think there is large niche market of people who aren't really fans of the other UConn sports teams that would latch on to the hockey team.

All they need is semi decent local exposure to make it easy for people to follow and I think CPTV would be a great platform for that.

CPTV did not start broadcasting UConn women's basketball until Gampel started selling out on a regular basis in the mid 1990's. UConn hockey attendance has declined this season, so this trend will have to be reversed in order to convince CPTV.

Reaction Score
CPTV did not start broadcasting UConn women's basketball until Gampel started selling out on a regular basis in the mid 1990's. UConn hockey attendance has declined this season, so this trend will have to be reversed in order to convince CPTV.

Fair enough.

I suppose it's a chicken or egg question!

What does CPTV broadcast on Thursday or Saturday night that would garner more viewers than UConn hockey? (Honest question, not rhetorical)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom