Hockey East Power Rankings | The Boneyard

Hockey East Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hockey East Power Rankings: October 27, 2014

12. Connecticut (1-3-1)
Outside of a lopsided second game at Penn State, Mike Cavanaugh's Huskies have performed admirably through five games as the newest member to Hockey East. Tough one-goal road losses at Merrimack and Vermont are nothing to sneeze at. The Huskies picked up their first win of the season last Tuesday over Quinnipiac, 4-1, thanks to a complete 60-minute effort and another great goaltending performance from sophomore Rob Nichols. As Kevin Sneddon pointed out in the postgame after UVM's 2-1 win Saturday, the Huskies have some big defensemen and a solid goaltender who will make it tough all season for UConn's opponents.

Last Week: W 4-1 at Quinnipiac, L 1-2 at Vermont
This Week: vs. Merrimack (10/31), vs. Princeton/Yale (11/2)

Reaction Score
It's rather laughable that Cox ranked Northeastern above UConn. NU has been woeful through three games this year, utterly woeful.

Agree. I don't see how you beat the 15th ranked team in the nation and narrowly lose by 1, in low scoring games, on the road, against two of the top ranked teams in the league and take a back seat to an 0-4 team that has had really bad losses. Then again, I'm not all that surprised. Gotta keep plugging away.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree. I don't see how you beat the 15th ranked team in the nation and narrowly lose by 1, in low scoring games, on the road, against two of the top ranked teams in the league and take a back seat to an 0-4 team that has had really bad losses. Then again, I'm not all that surprised. Gotta keep plugging away.

Once they knock off a few HE teams, this will change. I don't seem much chance of cracking the top half, but I don't think they'll be last either.

Reaction Score
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...ersity-umass-lowell-providence-uvm-notre-dame

Ahead of UMass and Northeastern this week:

10. Connecticut (1-4-2)
The Huskies are moving up two spots in this week's rankings. A tie and a loss don't seem all that appetizing, but it's the way UConn is playing. With the exception of a lopsided loss to Penn State, the Huskies have been in every game they have played. It's hard not to be bullish about the future of UConn hockey with Mike Cavanaugh at the helm.

Last Week: T 2-2 vs. Merrimack, L 1-2 vs. Yale
This Week: vs. Boston College (11/5), at Boston University (11/8)

Reaction Score
We should aim for 8th in conference, that would give us home-ice advantage in the 1st round of the conference tourny.

Reaction Score
Hockey East Power Rankings (November 10, 2014)

8. Connecticut (2-4-3)
In a development very few people out of Storrs probably expected, UConn picked up three of four points last week against BC and BU. Wednesday's home opener in front of a raucous crowd at the XL Center in Hartford should put the rest of Hockey East on notice that there will be backing behind the Huskies program. This writer picked UConn last in preseason, but I'm going on record now as saying Cavanaugh's squad will not finish last.

Last Week: W 1-0 vs. Boston College, T 4-4 (OT) at Boston University
This Week: vs. Sacred Heart (11/14)

Reaction Score
We should aim for 8th in conference, that would give us home-ice advantage in the 1st round of the conference tourny.

Now that would present an interesting problem if UConn were to get home games. The AAC women's basketball tourney is in Hartford the same weekend that the first round of the Hockey East playoffs take place. It would seem Hartford would be out of the picture. Would they play in Bridgeport, or would Hockey East let them play in Storrs?

Reaction Score
Now that would present an interesting problem if UConn were to get home games. The AAC women's basketball tourney is in Hartford the same weekend that the first round of the Hockey East playoffs take place. It would seem Hartford would be out of the picture. Would they play in Bridgeport, or would Hockey East let them play in Storrs?

I thought they swapped the Women's tourny for the Men's? And I'm seeing March 11-14th for the AAC tournament, opening round Hockey East playoffs take place March 6-8th. So it doesn't appear there would be a scheduling conflict but for the 2nd round there might be but then UConn would likely only have 1 home game in that scenario.

Reaction Score
I thought they swapped the Women's tourny for the Men's? And I'm seeing March 11-14th for the AAC tournament, opening round Hockey East playoffs take place March 6-8th. So it doesn't appear there would be a scheduling conflict but for the 2nd round there might be but then UConn would likely only have 1 home game in that scenario.

AAC women's basketball tourney is March 6-9, with the men's tourney going on the following weekend. Both tourneys are in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Hockey East Power Rankings (November 18, 2014)

No change...

8. Connecticut (2-5-3)
The Huskies had an inevitable letdown game against the Pioneers, an old foe from Atlantic Hockey, but give SHU credit. This is a big weekend for Mike Cavanaugh's Huskies. Two home dates, albeit in Hartford, against two of the top teams in Hockey East right now can go a long way in determining how consistent UConn can be this season.

Last Week: L 0-2 vs. Sacred Heart
This Week: vs. Vermont (11/21), vs. Boston University (11/22)

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
So the game against RPI didn't exist according to this guy?

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
He mentioned the loss to sacred heart and in the last poll sacred heart as the next opponent. I know they were the only opponent last week but still seemed odd to leave a game out.

Reaction Score
He mentioned the loss to sacred heart and in the last poll sacred heart as the next opponent. I know they were the only opponent last week but still seemed odd to leave a game out.

Fair point...

Reaction Score
Bit late w/ this post:

Hockey East Power Rankings (November 25,2014)

8. Connecticut (3-6-4, 2-3-1 HE)
Mike Cavanaugh's team once again proved it is capable of beating any team in Hockey East on any given night. The Huskies upended Vermont, 2-1, Friday night before keeping it close with BU on Saturday before ultimately falling short. A driving force behind UConn's success continues to be sophomore goaltender Rob Nichols whose .932 save percentage ranks second in Hockey East, only behind BU's Matt O'Connor.

Last Week: T 1-1 (OT) vs. Rensselaer, W 2-1 vs. Vermont, L 2-5 vs. Boston University
This Week: at Brown (11/29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro