Hockey East has a better TV deal than the AAC | The Boneyard

Hockey East has a better TV deal than the AAC

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

8 #IceBus games on NESN/NESN+. Presumably another 2 will be on SNY (Connecticut Ice), plus more on CW20. UConn hockey getting a lot more coverage on TV going forward.

Also, its 100 games on NESN/NESN+; the AAC has 65 on ESPN networks on the men's basketball side in their new deal, lol.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Sounds like great coverage. Do we have an idea what the value is?

zls44

Reaction Score
Probably minimal. There's no money in college hockey.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Exposure... ;)
Does that mean I shouldn't ask and just take the expanded coverage?
BTW, isn't that what the first AAC contract got us. Less pay and full exposure. I hope the next NESN contract doesn't turn out like the AAC contract we won't be a part of. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is good news. Of course it in no way compares with the AAC deal. Kind of like saying being a guest on a local public access cable show 5 times is better than being featured on 60 minutes once. Is NESN even carried on systems west of the Merit and south of Hamden?

Reaction Score
Could have sworn I posted this link w/ my exposure comment - damn mobile gremlins:

Hockey East To Announce League-Wide Streaming Package With CBS? Plus NESN Partnership

>>But the news yet to be announced is where everyone’s games will be that aren’t on NESN. If you do a crawl through each team’s schedule, you’ll notice that nobody has their streaming links up, either to their provider from last year or otherwise. BC’s games no longer show on ESPN3 either on the schedule or on an ESPN search.

Well, sources close to BC Interruption have told us that Hockey East has partnered with CBS College Sports Live for its first-ever league-wide streaming package. And there’s some evidence out there to support an imminent announcement, too. If you head over to CollegeSportsLive.com, you’ll notice under “Partners” that there’s a selection in the dropdown for “Hockey East,” with several men’s and women’s games across the conference already loaded.

Now, the games at this point are all listed as “free,” but don’t get too excited about that. Our source has said they expect the streaming deal to be subscription-based. Fortunately, College Sports Live’s model is very affordable at only $9.99 per month — more than reasonable considering you should be getting every game across the league. <<

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Of course it in no way compares with the AAC deal.
I wasn't really comparing the deals, just having fun. With medic pointing out it was about the exposure it reminded me of Aresco saying the same about the AAC deal.
I should have included a wink or laugh so you knew I wasn't serious.

Reaction Score
I wasn't really comparing the deals, just having fun. With medic pointing out it was about the exposure it reminded me of Aresco saying the same about the AAC deal.
I should have included a wink or laugh so you knew I wasn't serious.
Me too.

Reaction Score
Could have sworn I posted this link w/ my exposure comment - damn mobile gremlins:

Hockey East To Announce League-Wide Streaming Package With CBS? Plus NESN Partnership

>>But the news yet to be announced is where everyone’s games will be that aren’t on NESN. If you do a crawl through each team’s schedule, you’ll notice that nobody has their streaming links up, either to their provider from last year or otherwise. BC’s games no longer show on ESPN3 either on the schedule or on an ESPN search.

Well, sources close to BC Interruption have told us that Hockey East has partnered with CBS College Sports Live for its first-ever league-wide streaming package. And there’s some evidence out there to support an imminent announcement, too. If you head over to CollegeSportsLive.com, you’ll notice under “Partners” that there’s a selection in the dropdown for “Hockey East,” with several men’s and women’s games across the conference already loaded.

Now, the games at this point are all listed as “free,” but don’t get too excited about that. Our source has said they expect the streaming deal to be subscription-based. Fortunately, College Sports Live’s model is very affordable at only $9.99 per month — more than reasonable considering you should be getting every game across the league. <<
I don’t quite know how to react to this. I sort of think it is making the same mistake everyone has been making in other sports. Why shlep to Hartford or Chestnut Hill or Orono on a freezing January when you can watch at home? Too much media coverage is killing attendance in other college sports I think and the B12 commissioner agrees fwiw. On the other hand I like to watch UConn on the road.

zls44

Reaction Score
The paywall actually helps in that regard for stuff like college hockey. It's so niche that if you're paying $10 a month for it, you're probably buying tickets too and just using it for away games.

For some of these schools, a blizzard is as likely to impact attendance as anything.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
NESN is completely blacked out in lower Fairfield County. A conversation with a friend/UConn grad who works for NESN indicates it has something to do with the relationship of the carriers with MSG/YES/SNY in the NYC market (which encompasses lower FFC) and protecting those regional sports network.

But in the wide scope, somehow because the market is physically in the state of CT, the blackout carrier over. I know when the Sox are on MLB network, I get blacked out. I understand the NYM and NYY being blacked out (I can get them on SNY/YES), but I can't access NESN but still subject to blackout. Does anyone have some insight? I'd buy that package in a minute to watch UConn hockey games.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
NESN is completely blacked out in lower Fairfield County. A conversation with a friend/UConn grad who works for NESN indicates it has something to do with the relationship of the carriers with MSG/YES/SNY in the NYC market (which encompasses lower FFC) and protecting those regional sports network.

But in the wide scope, somehow because the market is physically in the state of CT, the blackout carrier over. I know when the Sox are on MLB network, I get blacked out. I understand the NYM and NYY being blacked out (I can get them on SNY/YES), but I can't access NESN but still subject to blackout. Does anyone have some insight? I'd buy that package in a minute to watch UConn hockey games.

No NESN in Fairfield County is pretty easy - all of their pro live sports are blacked out (Sawx, Bruins). NESN would basically have to pay Fairfield County providers to expand the range of Charlie Moore.

Your blackout on MLB I'm guessing is because you live in an area where you're in NY territory, but yourcable head-end sits in Boston, and they're too stupid to manage the one-off blackout. PM me your info if you want more help here...

Reaction Score
Looks like something fell through with the CBS Sports streaming deal.. I was looking forward to not paying the $10-12 for one game anymore..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom