Hockey Celebration Video | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hockey Celebration Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2. I hope for next season a media package is put together for hockey... I know its not hoops or football, but we need a viable radio outlet to cover these games (home and road) to be meaningful to the state's fans.

Strongly suggest you find WHUS (http://whus.org/). The radio calls by Will and Alex are awesome. Various ways to access the feed on different devices.

Reaction Score
College hockey is cheaper and more accessible and no one can take it away from us. Aside from that, there are fewer games making each one more important to the viewer. A great UConn hockey team will shock people with the following it will have. We don't share the market with an NHL team or other great hockey schools. This is exciting hockey against great programs---in a hockey starved region of rabid UConn fans. This can be a very big deal in CT, NHL or not. I've always felt we were missing the boat on it. Put it this way, nothing close to the excitement from this game has happened in Hartford in 20+ years as far as hockey goes.

Not to take away from last night's atmosphere but just to be fair the re-brand game for Whale-WP was just as electric with over 13k.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was a great turnout but the Hartford Hellcats had huge crowds on a few special occasions too.

First game. Magic Johnson All Stars.

I firmly believe they need to play hoops at XL, but hockey belongs on campus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's an outside shot, but I could see SNY going after UConn hockey games. NYC is a hockey town... and UConn's ratings have been strong in NYC.

Of course all this is predicated on UConn having a competitive program... good things will happen if they reach their potential be it increased TV coverage/money. A fourth revenue producing sport certainly couldn't hurt.
And thankfully the games are part of the AAC so we don't have to worry about Aresco giving them away to ESPN.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I firmly believe they need to play hoops at XL, but hockey belongs on campus.
I know last night was awesome but I think many are having wishful thinking that a game vs someone other than BC would have the same excitement year after year. There were so many factors that played into this (It was BC, they were #3, we hadn't played BC in hockey before). Some hockey games in Hartford would be good but to have all HE games there would be wrong.

Let's see if the turnout stays the same all season. I hope it does but I have a feeling not as many would show up if the opponent was Umass-Lowell.

Reaction Score
I was there last night and went to many Whalers games. I have never been to a Wolfpack game, not out of protest, but just wasn't interested. Last night felt big time. These were knowledgeable hockey fans, not just fans looking to be part of an event. I say this because you could tell by their reactions to the game action. I think UConn hockey is entering the picture at the right time. Connecticut will support big time. Hockey East is big time and the only conference that can hold that interest due to the fact that there will be a number of nationally ranked programs year in and year out visiting the XL. The "dregs" of the league will be better than most programs in other conferences. I think the typical Whaler fan will return to root for the Huskies. There are a relatively small number of home games per year and at only $12-$17 per ticket the season ticket base may grow rather quickly.

Reaction Score
Of course UConn could have been in Hockey East 20 plus years ago had not two prima donna basketball coaches stopped the installation of ice making capabilities during the construction of Gampel.

Reaction Score
I didn't even purchase ST's myself because I plan on attending the games with a few people and I didn't see how'd that work if I was in a permanent location all the time. I'd have to hope and pray there would be open seats next to my ST's.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Of course UConn could have been in Hockey East 20 plus years ago had not two prima donna basketball coaches stopped the installation of ice making capabilities during the construction of Gampel.

You mean the two basketball coaches who have season tickets and were there last night?

Reaction Score
bc puckett said:

I prefer that we kept them happy.

Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:
Haha hey I know... it's great. But I just think comparing college hockey to the heyday of the Whalers is a bit silly. I am very happy for the team, but I don't think this means hockey is "back" in Hartford like it once was.
When was the Whalers' hey day? Unfortunately, however short-lived it was on the ice most of CT's hockey fans in the strongest hockey towns never transitioned from Rangers' or maybe Bruins' fans, never cared, and playoff success was limited. UCONN is CT's sports brand, it's great that may now extend to hockey, and CT residents including ex-whalers fans, UCONN students and alumni have a team to support. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I would hope UCONN can do better than the play by play guy on Whus. The color commentator is ok but the play by play guy is not very good. I grew up listening to Chuck Kaiton, so maybe I am expecting to much from a college radio broadcast.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would hope UCONN can do better than the play by play guy on Whus. The color commentator is ok but the play by play guy is not very good. I grew up listening to Chuck Kaiton, so maybe I am expecting to much from a college radio broadcast.

Yeah I'd say comparing a college station kid doing the games for free is unfair against a hall of fame broadcaster.

Reaction Score

Geez - Comparing the WHUS guys to arguably one of the best hockey announcers in the game is a bit unfair. For a university radio broadcast - they do a pretty good job.

FWIW - Kaiton started his career as a college hockey PBP guy for Michigan. Gotta start somewhere.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I grew up listening to Chuck Kaiton, so maybe I am expecting to much from a college radio broadcast.

Anyone remember who called the games before Kaiton? Yup, it was Bob Neumeier who unfortunately suffered a stroke last week.

Reaction Score
Yes, Neumie, I remember him well. His famous call of the brawl against the Fighting Saints will never be forgotten.

"Jack Ferreira and I talked about the conspicuous absentee of Bill Butters in period number 1, and he's out there drawing another minor penalty........."

The "brawl" was on the b side of the brass bonanza record.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As great as Kaiton is. He was never better than with Andre Lecroix.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember who called the games before Kaiton? Yup, it was Bob Neumeier who unfortunately suffered a stroke last week.
And before Neumeier, it was Bill Rasmussen, who along with his son Scott had a crazy dream about starting up a 24 hour all sports network centering around UConn athletics. Yes, the founder of ESPN was the Whalers first pbp announcer after the move to Hartford. But, I digress...

Reaction Score
First of all my Thunderchicken visitor: "Thank you for your support of UConn athletics"!
Secondly, get your facts straight: John Toner had the blueprints & mockup of Gampel drawn up in the late 70's. Plans were for a multipurpose arena with seating capacity of 8000 to be used for both basketball & hockey. The State wouldn't allow a larger facility on campus as it felt that such a facility would negatively impact attraction of events to the Hartford Civic Center, which it had just rebuilt after the roof & ceiling collapse post blizzard. It was a time of fiscal austerity, & Toner only got State funding for the project after lowering building cost by trimming out the hockey rink & associated refridgeration system.

Reaction Score
Don't think the two future HOF's had the juice before Gampel was funded. It was interesting to read from Malloy that UConn had an open invitation to join HE, didn't know that.

Reaction Score
I am very happy with the win and excited for UConn hockey, but let's not act like college hockey is even close to as big a deal as the NHL is. I'll go to a few games, but if the Whalers came back, I'd be scooping up season tickets without thinking twice.
on a national stage you're right. but locally the crowd that showed up indicates there is a huge interest in meaningful hockey when it's played at the highest level. you can't substitute a NHL franchise with a minor league team and expect the fans to remain interested. At least now uconn is competing at the highest level against the best teams. and winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom