OT: - Hitch bike rack - hanging or tray version? | The Boneyard

OT: Hitch bike rack - hanging or tray version?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Hey BY-ers. I'm in search of a hitch mounted bike rack, preferably for 4 bikes, that has either a swing away, or tilt down option so that we can open the SUV hatch. Anyone have experience with this, and which do you think is better quality - hanging bikes, or slotting them in trays? Is the tray version best for bikes that have different x-bar angles? Is one more secure than the other? TIA.

Note - I posted this in the Home & Garden forum, however wanted to also post it here to see if anyone has experience with bike racks.

Reaction Score
We have 2 e-bikes. We recently bought a Thule bike rack for them. Yes, it’s expensive, but the thing is amazing. It’s the kind that slots the bike into a tray. The best part about it is that it has an integrated ramp, so you don’t have to lift the bikes up at all. It also has the bars that come down to secure the bike, so that makes it very easy as opposed to having to tighten straps. There are two straps that secure the wheels, but they are very intuitive and easy to operate. I drive a Subaru Forester, and the tilt of a function makes it possible to open the hatch without removing the bikes. This is an all-around win when we are on the road and I want to get something out of the cooler which I have stored in the back. It also folds up small for storage in the off-season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I had a two bike hanger and it was a pain because there was no clearance between the bikes, so one could wear at the other, even with straps. I suspect they have gotten much better with time. This was 15 years ago.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I use a Wilco Swingaway Hitchswing and a Thule rack as well for the 2 e-bikes I have. I keep the Wilco on my camper van to swing aay from the doors and use the drop feature when I put the carrier on my car but those bikes are heavy so the swingaway is really nice. A side issue with the Thule is when we cover the ebikes with a bike cover to keep the rain off, the Thule bike rack support tubes have bent and the bikes have traveled sideways before we noticed - it's happened a few times. There is a Komo carrier that is a big plastic bin but its $3,000 - it's on my some list and fits on a hitch.

Reaction Score
I had a Thule hanging bike rack which worked great for a men’s bike but not so well for a women’s or stepover. This was due to the fact that I had to use an adapter bar for the women’s bike. This was not as secure and allowed the bike to slip. In the future I will be buying a tray rack.

Reaction Score
We have a hanging Thule works great. Daughter’s is a Thule tray—agree with other posters more flexible re different bike configurations.

Reaction Score
I have a 2 bike Kuat tray type rack and love it. Prior to that my husband had a Thule hanging rack that was probably at least a decade old. The last time I used it I was driving from upstate NY to Michigan and back, and my bike kept bouncing out of one of the rubber holder thingies and sliding around on the bars. I suspect maybe the rubber was just more stretched out than we knew, but it was one of the reasons I opted for a tray rack when I got my own.

Two things that might make a difference for you, or not. One, I am very short (5'2") and while I am reasonably strong, I am also 50. I find it much easier to mount my Kuat rack onto the hitch by myself than the Thule one, both from a weight standpoint and from a length standpoint (most of them list their weight in the specs, but I didn't really think to look at that until someone else pointed it out). I also find it easier to mount the bikes on the tray rack instead of having to lift them up near to head height so I can slide them onto a hanging rack. Seems easier to me to mount both of our bikes on the tray racks than the hanging racks - less tangling happening.

Reaction Score
I had the opportunity to check out my neighbor's Thule rack this morning on my walk. I am not a biker but I must admit what a wonderful piece of engineering. I was told it is 50 pounds, but it has much flexibility/options when in use.

Reaction Score
I use a double Thule tray rack. I leave them mounted year round, use them very frequently, add a 3rd/4th bike attachment when needed. Replace them every 8 years or so when worn out. Many friends have them, no complaints that I remember.

One friend has a Kuat tray rack, seems very nice too.

Happy with tray racks, no experience with hanging racks.

Reaction Score
I have used Thule and 1up. 1up was a much better product in my opinion. I have not heard anything negative about Kuat racks...

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I have the Thule Pro 2x (as mentioned above), took it to Outdoor Sports Center and they confirmed the support sports that hold the bikes (61 pounds (I found out) bent and the supporting hardwear if f—-d up! The tech told me that he’s going to try to get them to trade it for the newer tray version with a central post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom