History Lesson for Young Uconn Fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

History Lesson for Young Uconn Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Perno years were pretty lean. I often wonder what Calhoun would of done with Corny, Mike, Karl Hobbs and Chuck Aleksinas.

77-81 were solid teams, with three consecutive 20 win seasons and then 17-11. An NCAA bid and three NITs. Then it went downhill when we joined the Big East. .549 winning percentage. But there were already fans then, that was the point. The program didn't miraculously come into existence in the late 80's. We would never have been invited to the Big East otherwise.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
With all due respect to Perno, our program didn't go downhill when we hit then Big East. The BE showed us what we we were: a good regional program now playing at a national level and taking a beating.

Reaction Score
25 years ago.... never gets old.

The only time I ever rushed the court. MSG on Sunday afternoon with our 1st BE Tourny Championship.

We need some throwback jerseys (including shorts with the dribbling Husky) & a Johnny Gwynn bobblehead with machine gun tongue action.
Me too! I was in the front row right behind our cheerleaders. I'm pretty sure I was the first one on the loor. I was jacked on adrenaline. Celebrating with the team was awesome.

Reaction Score
Me and my buddies were heading down the Merritt for the Clemson game and started early dipping into the cooler. We were down in the little DOT driveway or something in between Fairfield and Greenwich somewhere ridding ourselves of some early cold ones. Suddenly we were trapped by a statey and throwing ourselves back in to place, basically red handed. He walked over and saw us all donning our UConn jackets, sweatshirts, etc etc and said "you guys going to NJ to the game?" As we nodded nervously yes he said "do me a favor don't do this when you get over the state line they won't be as nice as I will be and also please promise me you will be very careful? It won't be nay fun if something happens right? Have fun and Go Huskies" True story. The WHOLE state was into ti for sure!

Reaction Score
Me and my buddies were heading down the Merritt for the Clemson game and started early dipping into the cooler. We were down in the little DOT driveway or something in between Fairfield and Greenwich somewhere ridding ourselves of some early cold ones. Suddenly we were trapped by a statey and throwing ourselves back in to place, basically red handed. He walked over and saw us all donning our UConn jackets, sweatshirts, etc etc and said "you guys going to NJ to the game?" As we nodded nervously yes he said "do me a favor don't do this when you get over the state line they won't be as nice as I will be and also please promise me you will be very careful? It won't be nay fun if something happens right? Have fun and Go Huskies" True story. The WHOLE state was into ti for sure!

Great story!

Reaction Score
Remember that well.

Looking at the UConn website archives, there are only game scores for that season - no roster, no stats.
Is there another spot for such info?

Reaction Score
I had moved to CT in the fall of '88 and it took me until the next season to figure out what the local news was talking about when they were talking about "Yukon" basketball". I finally figured it out, started watching, got hooked and have been following them ever since. That season lead to the immortal comment by my clueless non sports-fan husband "Oh, oh, look at that slam dump!"

Reaction Score
I remember watching the Clemson game. With a second left, Tate caught the in-bounds pass. spun and shot, and BOOM. My CRT TV blew up in with a literal ball of smoke. Man did it stink. A transformer probably blew - or the tube. Can you imagine me hanging there in mid-air? Anyhow, had to call someone for the result. Got a Big TV next day. Wasn't called 'the shot' for nothing.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I remember watching the Clemson game. With a second left, Tate caught the in-bounds pass. spun and shot, and BOOM. My CRT TV blew up in with a literal ball of smoke.

That has to be the most memorable story of this memorable game.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
History lesson?

Read the Joe Marrone thread. That is UConn history...
How does Joe MOrrone have anything to do with basketball. (God rest his soul).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom