Historically UConn does more with less | The Boneyard

Historically UConn does more with less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why we shouldn't fret too much over missing a recruit here or there... This data is fascinating. We hardly ever get McDonald's All Americans, but when we do, they sure seem to develop. http://statsheet.com/bhsb/mcplayers_by_college

If there was ever something I'd like to show a recruit, it's this website. See all the talent other schools get. But, Calhoun and Ollie make the most (and develop) what they've got.

Reaction Score
Great chart! Kind of just like I imagined with Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and NC at 4 to 5 times us. I would also think a chart could be made for how high the McD's are rated on the list because those schools have gotten the big fish more often.

Reaction Score
The "more with less" mantra doesn't really work with UConn. Sure, they don't get anywhere near as many 5-star recruits and McD's All-Americans as the Kentuckys and UNCs of the world, but it's been a long time since UConn was scrapping for 3-stars.

From a pure development standpoint, you could argue that UConn does a better job than any other program in the country. They've managed to turn no-name recruits (Hilton Armstrong) into NBA draft picks and turn pretty good recruits into NBA stars (Ray) at an extraordinary rate. No other program can hold a candle to UConn in that regard.

But when you look at the aggregate recruiting rankings, the "more with less" mindset doesn't quite hold up.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Yeah I wouldn't consider us getting "less". An advantage of having 4 star guys instead of McDonalds AA guys is that they often stay in school longer and have a dominant year or two before leaving rather than McD AAs having solid freshman years and leaving because they'll get picked in the first round already. Also our scouting deserves a lot of credit because regardless of ranking we've pulled in great players.

Reaction Score
Yeah I wouldn't consider us getting "less". An advantage of having 4 star guys instead of McDonalds AA guys is that they often stay in school longer and have a dominant year or two before leaving rather than McD AAs having solid freshman years and leaving because they'll get picked in the first round already. Also our scouting deserves a lot of credit because regardless of ranking we've pulled in great players.

I've been wondering this for years. Is there a sweet spot in recruiting that gets you more value than just getting the super-elite guys?

Reaction Score
Well I guess that means that we shouldn't want Diamond Stone because he's a five star one and likely done? I agree with the 4 star thing but I want the 5 too.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I've been wondering this for years. Is there a sweet spot in recruiting that gets you more value than just getting the super-elite guys?

It's probably best to have a mix than it is to be at one of the extremes, which we have done. But at the same time, not everyone who gets a degree is guaranteed to have a great year. In my opinion, what really counts is if the staff can tell how good a player really is/can be. If there was a market inefficiency there, someone would have exploited it by now. Calhoun was just a great coach with a great eye. Ollie seems to have the potential to get there too. We're lucky

Reaction Score
The "more with less" mantra doesn't really work with UConn. Sure, they don't get anywhere near as many 5-star recruits and McD's All-Americans as the Kentuckys and UNCs of the world, but it's been a long time since UConn was scrapping for 3-stars.

From a pure development standpoint, you could argue that UConn does a better job than any other program in the country. They've managed to turn no-name recruits (Hilton Armstrong) into NBA draft picks and turn pretty good recruits into NBA stars (Ray) at an extraordinary rate. No other program can hold a candle to UConn in that regard.

But when you look at the aggregate recruiting rankings, the "more with less" mindset doesn't quite hold up.

I dont know, since 1990, we've won more national championships than everyone on the list outside of Duke, and did it with 4-5 times less 5 star recruits than the top 3 on the lists. Isnt that the definition of more with less? We're not throwing scrubs out there, but we certainly are not fielding teams with 8 McDonalds all americans. Hell, we beat UK last year with one 5 star recruit.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not sure we won a championship w/o a 5 star recruit.
Think we had bad years that were worse than those guys too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom