Hilarious baseball play | The Boneyard

Hilarious baseball play

Reaction Score
It would be bad if there were less than 2 outs, but really... 2 outs and you do this. If I was the pitcher I'd tell Craig he's buying dinner for me he rest of he season.
Also, give credit to Baez for not just running into a tag and assuming the out. He made Craig make a decision and it was the worst you can make.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If I were Anderson, I would've actually physically restrained Craig, told Frazier to go to first, take the ball from Craig and toss it to Frazier for the force, which would've negated the run.

That apparently nobody was screaming at Craig to just go back to the bag and take the forceout, or to tell Craig to just run at Baez and tag him, or that Frazier didn't cover first... as announcer Joe Block said in his call, the calliope could be heard all the way to Sewickley (a suburb 20 minutes away).

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
OMG that might be the worst play I've ever seen, legitimately.

Gotta hand it to the Pirates, they manage to top themselves often. Can't believe the Braves lost to them even once, haha

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Doesn’t Baez concede the out when he back pedals towards home?

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Being a Pirates fan is essentially just varying levels of pain. I truly like Cherington and think he’ll get this thing on track, but between the never ending gut punch that was the Chris Archer trade and stuff like this, it’s been a brutal last few years.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Being a Pirates fan is essentially just varying levels of pain. I truly like Cherington and think he’ll get this thing on track, but between the never ending gut punch that was the Chris Archer trade and stuff like this, it’s been a brutal last few years.
2022 will still suck, but at least we'll have Hayes for a full season (hopefully).
2023 will probably look like 2011/2012 - they'll be competitive but flame out in August.
2024 should be a good year. Of course by then Hayes will be in 1st arb year and Nutting will want him traded to Yankees ;-)

Sad thing is that even when they were horrible when Huntington first took over, at least they were watchable. They had some talent (Bay, McLouth, Cutch, Alvarez, Hanrahan) you could root for. This team has nothing when Hayes isn't out there. And he's only played half a game this season.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
2022 will still suck, but at least we'll have Hayes for a full season (hopefully).
2023 will probably look like 2011/2012 - they'll be competitive but flame out in August.
2024 should be a good year. Of course by then Hayes will be in 1st arb year and Nutting will want him traded to Yankees ;-)

Sad thing is that even when they were horrible when Huntington first took over, at least they were watchable. They had some talent (Bay, McLouth, Cutch, Alvarez, Hanrahan) you could root for. This team has nothing when Hayes isn't out there. And he's only played half a game this season.

They have a ton of interesting arms in the minors, but it’s going to take some a year or before they start trickling in so I am inline with your timeline of 2023 being the start of the next “window”. I’m hoping we go with the Louisville catcher in the draft rather than one of the HS Shortstops. I get that you shouldn’t worry about guys being blocked, but I’m a huge fan of the Peguero kid we got in the Marte trade and think he’s going to be a big talent at SS.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They have a ton of interesting arms in the minors, but it’s going to take some a year or before they start trickling in so I am inline with your timeline of 2023 being the start of the next “window”. I’m hoping we go with the Louisville catcher in the draft rather than one of the HS Shortstops. I get that you shouldn’t worry about guys being blocked, but I’m a huge fan of the Peguero kid we got in the Marte trade and think he’s going to be a big talent at SS.
I'm pretty much on board with Tank Davis as well, but I'm a regular on PiratesProspects and guys who get MiLBtv and have seen him there or live do have concerns about his blocking skills, so he'll need a lot of work to stay behind the plate. But part of that is that Bucs have so many damn MIs in the system, I don't know how all of them will get playing time. I also wouldn't be totally upset if they took Leiter. I'm a big believer in genes and he's got pretty good ones.

Reaction Score
Yikes by far tops the all time bloopers list.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I loved Pirates Cutch and my buddy played in their organization in Altoona w/ Alvarez then eventually Indy, so those early 2010s group of teams have a soft spot with me. I thought they were on their way to having sustained “young team” success like a Rays or As but it never really happened.

Went to see them in Pitt in September against the Cards in a real pennant race (2013?) then double dipped and watched the Labor Day first game of Jameis Winston’s magical run to the Heisman and Natty.

I’m a FSU football fan, and I love Pittsburgh so that was a highlight weekend we still talk about.

Last edited:

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I loved Pirates Cutch and my buddy played in their organization with Altoona and eventually Indy with Alvarez, so those late early 2010s group of teams have a soft spot with me. I thought they were on their way to having sustained “young team” success like a Rays or As but it never really happened.

Went to see them in Pitt in September against the Cards in a real pennant race (2013?) then double dipped and watched the Labor Day first game of Jameis Winston’s magical run to the Heisman and Natty.

I’m a FSU football fan, and I love Pittsburgh so that was a highlight weekend we still talk about.

In theory they should’ve been able to sustain the success but the innovations that helped us from 13-15 became our undoing afterward. Forcing guys like Cole, Morton, and Glasnow to “pitch to contact and play defense” was just galaxy brain stupid and wasted the best chance we had at maintaining success. Cutch is a good dude, although “public Cutch” vs. the guy when cameras aren’t rolling are vastly different, but his production fell way off and the anger over his contract took a toll on his attitude/performance. It was just a very sad time to see them get so close but be undone by pitchers who were at the height of their game (Wainwright in 13, Bumgarner in 14, Arrieta in 15) and then spend 4 years shooting themselves in the foot before realizing it was time to rebuild.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Couldn't the fielder just backpedal (keeping eye on other baserunner) to 1st base and step on the bag?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Couldn't the fielder just backpedal (keeping eye on other baserunner) to 1st base and step on the bag?
Doesn’t even need to look at guy on third. Step on first period and it doesn’t matter.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I feel awful for Craig. Not only does he get hit with the “failed 1st round pick” tag but then that play happens and compounds the embarrassment/anxiety. For his MLB failings, he did have a solid minor league career including a Gold Glove and a spot in the Futures Game in 2019. For the guy to feel he needed to get out of the country says a lot about how the reaction to one bad play for a team miles away from competing got blown out of proportion. I hope he goes over there and rakes/makes a nice living and gets another shot over here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom