Highly ranked Rebecca Greenwell expands her list of schools (not UConn) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Highly ranked Rebecca Greenwell expands her list of schools (not UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
why would geno not want greenwell, a true shooting guard (which you only have 1 of in banks, i'm not counting engeln) but want 3 power forwards in the same class?

Who knows whether Geno ever showed interest in Greenwell. But I'm struck by the fact that you seem so certain that he wanted Greenwell because, well, because that's just how you see it. If you know anything about UConn under Geno you'd know that he recruits differently than other coaches, and yes that includes Summitt. He doesn't cast a wide net, never has and never will. He looks for versatility in all five positions. Your use of the term "true shooting guard" suggests you are looking at players through a different and traditional lens that speaks more about the offense in Knoxville than it does about the offense in Storrs. Geno obviously feels quite comfortable with players who can fill both guard positions during the next 2-3 years including Hartley, Banks, Mosqueda-Lewis, Faris, Jefferson and Doty. He appears to be pursuing Tucker and Samuelson in '13.

The last time Geno recruited 3 power forwards in the same class it worked out pretty well for him.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
not quite sure i understand your point. can you find a post on here that says Geno doesn't like Greenwell? any why would tennessee even be recruiting her as Davis and Simmons are true shooting guards. i think it's funny when other fans make comments like yours. unlike some schools, UCONN does not go after every top kid. they cast a very narrow net.

perhaps the reason Geno is not looking at Greenwell is because he's looking at Jannah Tucker, another top 10 shooting guard in the class, and Samuelson - another SG... Over the last 12 years, Geno has had the most success in WCBB by far winning 6 NC's. perhaps that causes some fans to have attitudes tinged with arrogance, but you can't argue that UCONN is at the top and there is no one else close in that category.

we have no idea why he focuses in on some kids and not on others, but there are a myriad of possible reasons, including the possibility that the kid is simply not interested in UCONN.

she's been all over this message board since the u16 tourney...fans wondering why there were no reports of interest or if geno was recruiting her. and i was responding to your initial post where YOU said "i can see why he's not looking at her." my point is that geno doesn't pick and choose his players. we all know that there are many players that want to play for uconn, but i'm saying becca greenwell obviously wasn't one of them.

and simmons will be a senior when greenwell is a freshman along with combo guard, kamiko williams. taber spani will be gone, so davis and greenwell would have the opportunity to come in and play the 2 and 3 for several years. i think tennessee will look to take one, maybe two out of jordan adams, becca greenwell, and diamond deshields.

and to UConnCat, i don't know what you're implying about traditional roles on the offense. we have had one of the most versatile teams in the country for years. stricklen is consistently playing 1-4. spani plays 2-4. manning plays 2-4. our limited post rotation has kept glory down low, but hopefully a healthy baugh and brewer this year means she can show her versatility, particularly on the defensive end where she can guard 1-5. the only players i would say were limited to a traditional position were the pg's avant and bass and then kelley cain. angie was usually on the wing as well, but i don't see a problem in filling the position of shooting guard with a shooter who's role is pretty defined.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i just want to expand on my post a little bit since it's already been quoted and i don't want to edit it. years ago and leading up to the Strother class and especially the following Sherwood class, Geno would not even look at a kid till their junior year. IIRC the main reason for that was he felt kids were still developing/growing/etc. and it was a crapshoot at best to know where kids were at developmentally until into their junior years. he'd always had terrific success that way but getting Ann, Nicole, Barb, Willnett and Gillian Goring was the last good class he got recruiting that way.

The following year, IIRC, players he may have wanted (plan A) were already gone by the time he started looking in earnest and we ended up with Sherwood, Robinson and Wright. Additionally he was stung when Brit Hunter seemed poised to verbal to UCONN only to change her mind and go to Duke. Wright never made it to campus, Robinson and Sherwood both transferred at the end of the year, even tho we won the NC that season.

The following season he scored a solid class of Charde, Mel, and Ketia, but was forced to explore the JUCO route nabbing Sadiq. and i believe that was when he shifted his recruiting to start identifying kids he liked earlier and at least communicating with them sooner. After nabbing Renee, Kalana, Cassie and Tahira, Geno really went on a roll of getting in early and nabbing Tina, Maya, EDD, and then KML and Breanna/Moriah - an unprecedented string of #1/2 players after the 2 year lull following Strother.

My point is that recruiting has changed a lot and Geno has had to change with it, especially with regards to identifying kids earlier. In fact, when you look at the number of top 5 kids Geno has nabbed over the past 7 years, it adds up to more than all the rest of the years he recruited combined, so clearly he's doing something right lately.

One other thing that is different with Geno compared to some/many other coaches is that he prefers not to use all 15 scholarships. i believe his ideal team number is 12. because of that, there are only so many kids he CAN go after and even less that he ends up focusing on. Do i wish he was going after Russell, Deshields, Greenwell, Reimer, Harper, Cooper, Grey, Tucker, Scaife, Muvunga and Johnson from 2013? of course as those are the top 10-11 players who are not committed yet. but from what we've read, he's after Deshields, Reimer, Tucker, and Muvunga - 4 out of the top 12.

so i really answer why Geno is not looking at Russell, Greenwell, Harper, Cooper, Grey, Scaife, or Johnson. nor can i say for sure he won't look at them or vice versa. i think it's more surprising if we find out he never looked hard at Russell than Greenwell. Russell is a much more unique player than Greenwell. But bottom line, one thing Geno has not changed in recruiting style is that he looks at less kids than other coaches. maybe the "less" just is an illusion as nothing gets publicized, but i think in general kids don't really hear from UCONN nearly as often as they do from other schools, volume-wise.

Perhaps other fans can recall interviews or comments from Geno that shed more light on his recruiting strategy than what i can recall.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
and to UConnCat, i don't know what you're implying about traditional roles on the offense. we have had one of the most versatile teams in the country for years. stricklen is consistently playing 1-4. spani plays 2-4. manning plays 2-4. our limited post rotation has kept glory down low, but hopefully a healthy baugh and brewer this year means she can show her versatility, particularly on the defensive end where she can guard 1-5. the only players i would say were limited to a traditional position were the pg's avant and bass and then kelley cain. angie was usually on the wing as well, but i don't see a problem in filling the position of shooting guard with a shooter who's role is pretty defined.

Thankfully versatility is defined much more narrowly at Connecticut. I'm comfortable with the different definitions, though. Good luck this season.

BTW, you said Greenwell is "obviously" not interested in UConn. Again, why is this obvious? Possible? Yes. But I'm not getting the obvious part. Explain, please.

DoreBurt

Je t'aDore
Reaction Score
of course you would! lol. welcome to the board!!

Thanks Eric, I am new to this board, as are we all. However, I've been around the Yard for several years, I even have a couple of UConn T-shirts. ;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks Eric, I am new to this board, as are we all. However, I've been around the Yard for several years, I even have a couple of UConn T-shirts. ;)

I hope Greenwell goes to Vandy. I like the offense your coach runs. It's fun to watch.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
she's been all over this message board since the u16 tourney...fans wondering why there were no reports of interest or if geno was recruiting her. and i was responding to your initial post where YOU said "i can see why he's not looking at her." my point is that geno doesn't pick and choose his players. we all know that there are many players that want to play for uconn, but i'm saying becca greenwell obviously wasn't one of them.
Again I suggest that that is not obvious since to the best of my knowledge neither Geno nor Rebecca Greenwell has made any statement per any form of relationship between the two and recruiting. She may have been interested and Geno is not or Geno may have been interested and she is not. We simply don't know.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Again I suggest that that is not obvious since to the best of my knowledge neither Geno nor Rebecca Greenwell has made any statement per any form of relationship between the two and recruiting. She may have been interested and Geno is not or Geno may have been interested and she is not. We simply don't know.
also to add to what you said ice - my earlier comment of "i can see why Geno's not looking at her", Bria is a phenom 2 who excels at the 1. KML is a phenom 3 who can play the 2. Banks is a natural 2 who has shown she "can" play the 1. and he's looking at Tucker and Samuleson, who play the 2. anyway, given the depth at the 2/3 positions, it's why i said what i did...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
also to add to what you said ice - my earlier comment of "i can see why Geno's not looking at her", Bria is a phenom 2 who excels at the 1. KML is a phenom 3 who can play the 2. Banks is a natural 2 who has shown she "can" play the 1. and he's looking at Tucker and Samuleson, who play the 2. anyway, given the depth at the 2/3 positions, it's why i said what i did...
Yup, that is at least an attempt at a logical discerning of what might be but we just don't know. And we must remember Geno would not be allowed to say anything other than we are or we aren't. Coaches can not give commentary on recruits.

DoreBurt

Je t'aDore
Reaction Score
I hope Greenwell goes to Vandy. I like the offense your coach runs. It's fun to watch.

Yeah, she is one of the better offensive minds around. I love to watch it too.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
Yeah, she is one of the better offensive minds around. I love to watch it too.

I would rather enjoy that too. Been a while since Melanie had a big time player, and she does more with what she has than any coach out there with possible exception being Bill Fennelly at I-State.

Also, PLEASE not UT or UK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69