OT: - High School Sports Fundraising | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: High School Sports Fundraising

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I heard two coworkers talking about pay-to-play. How common is that? One said her daughter had to pay $195 for middle school track. Sounds outrageous but she does lie a lot. I think back when I was in HS (2002-2006) this concept was fairly new and it may have been like a $60 fee that covered you for the year for all sports.

I graduated in 2003, I think it was 25 or 50 bucks per sport back then.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Literally got an email for my son's football team this morning that May 11th is now a yard sale in the gymnasium. Parents donate stuff and man the tables. All profits go to the football team.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Try a cow plop contest. Grid the field, and sell each square for $20. Let a cow roam the field. Whoever owns the sq where he takes his first dump, win.

My town did this for a few years, and they made a lot of money doing it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I heard two coworkers talking about pay-to-play. How common is that? One said her daughter had to pay $195 for middle school track. Sounds outrageous but she does lie a lot. I think back when I was in HS (2002-2006) this concept was fairly new and it may have been like a $60 fee that covered you for the year for all sports.

There are the fees for my high school:

Athletic Fees

2018/2019

Baseball. $210

Basketball (B&G) $210

Cheerleading. $200

Cross Country (B&G). $180

Field Hockey $200

Football. $250

Golf. $180

Gymnastics. $200

Ice Hockey. $450

Indoor Track (B&G). $180

Lacrosse (B&G). $210

Skiing (B&G). $300

Soccer (B&G). $210

Softball. $210

Swimming (B&G). $180

Tennis (B&G). $180

Track (B&G). $180

Volleyball (B&G). $200

Wrestling. $210

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Athletic Fees

2018/2019

Baseball. $210

Basketball (B&G) $210

Cheerleading. $200

Field Hockey $200

Football. $250

Golf. $180

Gymnastics. $200

Ice Hockey. $450

Indoor Track (B&G). $180

Lacrosse (B&G). $210

Skiing (B&G). $300

Soccer (B&G). $210

Softball. $210

Swimming (B&G). $180

Tennis (B&G). $180

Track (B&G). $180

Volleyball (B&G). $200

Wrestling. $210

Any family cap?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Golf outings bring in good money. We had one for a few years for our HS football program. The coaches would come out and run games on the par 3's, raffles, etc. Then the principal said all money raised would go to a general booster fund for all sports. End of the golf outing. Check with the administration first and make sure where the money will be allotted. Banners on the fencing as mentioned earlier are a good fund raiser. They do take some effort at the beginning but once they're up your finished for the year. Also, fast food restaurants will give back 10-15% if you have a fund raiser with them. Chipotle was always a willing partner. Good Luck.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, it depends on your town demographics. I'm currently in a small somewhat affluent town that cares way too much about sports and probably has too much town pride. So people love to support the teams. If you are in that kind of town, find something to sell, but it's not even important what it is. The key is to get the kids and their parents to inundate town-based social media with the sob story. Put up pics of the crappy equipment. Engage all town groups you can find, and really focus on youth programs. Our high school soccer team sold a lot of stuff to our town-based club.

Speaking of youth programs, see if that program wants to help you guys out. If they have fund raisers they probably won't want you to steal their thunder, but "experiences" can be cool. Batting practice with the team. Bat boy for a game. You and your team guest-coach their games, etc. Split the proceeds with the program. If you can get that into an auction where people are drinking you could make a ton.

While I said the "what" may not be the most important aspect, it does help. People often have town-pride, but it's not always easy to show it. Think of all the UConn gear you probably have/had, but how hard it is to get nice stuff from your town. Get some quality stuff to sell. Emphasize the town over the "baseball" when possible. Tshirts, sweatshirts, blankets, umbrellas, water bottles, fleece pajama bottoms are big. Town colors seem to sell better than random colors.

If you're in a bigger town that is a bit more economically challenged, go after the businesses in town or even in nearby towns. Small businesses may be happy to help to be part of the community, and big businesses love trying to show they have a heart, especially if they can be seen as giving kids a chance to succeed.

Reaction Score

Athletic Fees

2018/2019

Baseball. $210

Basketball (B&G) $210

Cheerleading. $200

Field Hockey $200

Football. $250

Golf. $180

Gymnastics. $200

Ice Hockey. $450

Indoor Track (B&G). $180

Lacrosse (B&G). $210

Skiing (B&G). $300

Soccer (B&G). $210

Softball. $210

Swimming (B&G). $180

Tennis (B&G). $180

Track (B&G). $180

Volleyball (B&G). $200

Wrestling. $210
If we charged fees like this at Weaver we would never field a team of any kind. Times have changed and this is probably a more fair way to run an athletic department.

Reaction Score
Where are you located, I work for Jaypro sports in Connecticut, we make sports equipment. I would call Jaypro and ask for Lou Allen (Yes this is the same Lou Allen that played football for UConn). Go to Jayprosports.com and see what we have.
Lou can get you some really good discounts right now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Try a cow plop contest. Grid the field, and sell each square for $20. Let a cow roam the field. Whoever owns the sq where he takes his first dump, win.

My town did this for a few years, and they made a lot of money doing it.

Just heard a friend say they used to bet that in college dive bars with chickens and a grid.

Said you could make $100 off official winnings and side bets.

Reaction Score
Our high school charges $200 per sport with a max per family each year (not sure what the max is). Supposedly with that the school covers maintenance of the fields, coach's salaries and buses to away games. Booster Club and the funds each team raise go towards equipment and uniforms (usually the varsity teams get new uniforms every 5 years or so and then pass their old ones to JV and JV passes their old ones to Freshmen teams).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom