High class, high character | The Boneyard

High class, high character

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Something that always makes me incredibly proud to be a UConn fan is that the basketball teams (men & women) are the gold standard when it comes to class and character.

I don’t think that gets talked about enough on here or among the CBB media.

The people we have repping us on the national stage (Kemba, Donny, Ray, Maya Moore, Calhoun, Hurley, Geno, etc.) have always been great on the court and off the court.

With all the scandals, dumb arse comments, punk players & coaches across the game, our guys have always seemed to buck that trend. Of course Calhoun & Hurley rub some people the wrong way because they are brash & fierce competitors, but they have always cared about their players like they are their own kids. They have always been upstanding citizens off the court.

Love the team Hurley has built. Love how much the team cares about the game (Cole & Hurley embrace last night). Love how Hurley has made them all into great men.

Whether it’s this March or a March in the near future, that character will become results on the court and return us to glory.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’m proud as hell of our programs and the people who built and maintain them, but I hesitate to hold anyone out as a model of purity and integrity when I know there are more than a few bumps in our road over the years.

Reaction Score
I popped over to the Creighton board and man they have no respect for us. They believe the opposite of everything you said.

I can’t give them any credibility because they also believe the refs were in UConn’s pocket last night. I just cannot believe that level of delusion. How can you be that biased?

Reaction Score
I could run off a list of less than upstanding former Huskies, but I'll refrain.

Reaction Score
I popped over to the Creighton board and man they have no respect for us. They believe the opposite of everything you said.

I can’t give them any credibility because they also believe the refs were in UConn’s pocket last night. I just cannot believe that level of delusion. How can you be that biased?
yeah, i think a lot of the league feels this way about uconn. the seton hall board is convinced that we paid sanogo to come here.

i more or less agree with @8893 -- i am really proud of our history and what hurley has built, but there have certainly been some less-than-spotless periods. every program has them.

Reaction Score
See the smiles on the Creighton players faces when RJ went down with the blood streaming out. Glad they lost to Gtown.
What a shot of RJ Cole crying with Hurley at the end of game.
That boy wants to WIN.
TEAM wants to WIN.,
LET'S GO AND GET A SOME WINS.

Reaction Score
Give Hurley credit for this team's off-court behavior, including academics. No battles to fight with the NCAA for violations, no recent police encounters, and no penalties for inadequate progress toward graduation.

Reaction Score
yeah, i think a lot of the league feels this way about uconn. the seton hall board is convinced that we paid sanogo to come here.

i more or less agree with @8893 -- i am really proud of our history and what hurley has built, but there have certainly been some less-than-spotless periods. every program has them.
I think UConn is a major threat to the status quo of the Big East and thus the animosity.

Reaction Score

They are insufferable. Especially on the Reddit game threads last night. “Why are UConn fans commenting on OUR game thread, it’s not like we did that”. They sit on those 3 wins like it’s some invincible armor. Softest set of fans in the big east, god I can’t wait for next year.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
the seton hall board is convinced that we paid sanogo to come here.
And many on the Boneyard are convinced that Illinois paid Kofi and Memphis paid Precious. When a school misses out on a prized recruit the fans default reasoning is another school paid them off. Yet, when their school is accused of the same offense the response is "nope, we are just excellent recruiters". @buddy's post is spot on. As for the character reference in the OP the one thing that DH did that I will always respect him for is the fact that he didn't run any players off when he was hired.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m proud as hell of our programs and the people who built and maintain them, but I hesitate to hold anyone out as a model of purity and integrity when I know there are more than a few bumps in our road over the years.
I still catch a ton of crap about laptopgate, the 2012 ban, et al. from my non-UConn friends down here in ACC country. Strangely enough, the volume of crap seems to increase when UConn is doing well.

Reaction Score
In my mind we are still the only major program to accept a post-season ban for reporting legitimately bad grades. Both evidence of our own stupidity and an indication of some principles. So we can hang our hats on that I guess.

I'd also add that touting principles and character in modern sports is a bad idea. All the programs have some dirt. Eventually you'll have some egg in your face.

The current sports landscape is so out of wack I frequently debate in my own mind the benefits of simply paying student athletes. Don't force them to go to class (unless they want to). Get rid of the facade of amateur athletics entirely.

The OK State situation is completely backwards relative to the typical NCAA suspension from 5 to 10 years ago. It wasn't long ago that you were essentially guilty until proven innocent. Boatright's freshman year is a perfect example. Boat was suspended until cleared. Sort of. It was assumed if we played a player while being investigated, the player and school would be punished further for allowing the player to play if eventually found guilty.

OK State is apparently innocent until proven guilty. Which also applies through their current appeal. Oddly enough, the NCAA's handling of the OK State seems to align with the actual legal system more than suspensions of the past. So maybe this is a good thing.

I actually think NCAA suspensions are a thing of the past. I don't think we'll see suspensions anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom