Hidden Gem Recruit: Who turned out to be the biggest surprise? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hidden Gem Recruit: Who turned out to be the biggest surprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I can't believe that anyone would think of someone other than Dolson. A big girl not highly recruited. A bit over weight and out of (Uconn) shape. Early in her Freshman year she is thrown against a highly mobile 6 fto8 in Center --baptism by the fires of hell.
Then the next three years she turns into super woman--lighter, faster, more stamina and a great BB player--shooting 3's on a regular basis and a bull under the basket---going up against the most elite centers in America and winning.
It is definitely STEFF DOLSON!!! Big Mama!!!
Dolson is the first person that came to mind, not because of any recruiting list but because of how far she went from frosh to junior. But I'm a little biased: She's one of my all-time favorites and some of these others are before my time.

But after reading other posts and thinking about it, I think it comes down to Wolters versus Conlon. Kara's story is remarkable, simply a great sports rags-to-riches, project-to-star story. I have to give it to Conlon, though. Wolters had the size endowment going for her; Conlon had no such outstanding physical characteristic. But what mental toughness! I feel she did the mostest with the leastest.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Kara Wolters wasn't a a high school All-American who went on to become a National Player of the Year.

I can't think of another NPOY who wasn't a high school All-American.

Wally East

Reaction Score
I can't believe that anyone would think of someone other than Dolson. A big girl not highly recruited.

She played in the McDonald's All-American game :D She considered Maryland, Rutgers, Duke and Penn State.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok, I'll pick some more.

Kara was just slightly before my time, but going from a lightly regarded recruit to NPOY is incredible.

Maria, who was infamously short but slow, went from a TO waiting to happen as a frosh to the starting PG on a team that lost only 5 games and won 2 NCs.

Stef was overlooked by many and struggled, not surprisingly, against Griner in her 2nd college game. She went on to become a 2-time AA, 2-time NC, and Natonal DPOY. She also recorded a rare triple-double at UConn, made the WNBA All-Star team, and became a strong candidate for Most Improved Player. Anyone who foresaw that level of success 6 years ago was delusional.

Reaction Score
Dolson is the first person that came to mind, not because of any recruiting list but because of how far she went from frosh to junior. But I'm a little biased: She's one of my all-time favorites and some of these others are before my time.

But after reading other posts and thinking about it, I think it comes down to Wolters versus Conlon. Kara's story is remarkable, simply a great sports rags-to-riches, project-to-star story. I have to give it to Conlon, though. Wolters had the size endowment going for her; Conlon had no such outstanding physical characteristic. But what mental toughness! I feel she did the mostest with the leastest.
I didn't see much of Wolters so my knowledge of her is limited. Conlon, a Derby Connecticut girl with the toughness of the Valley, has always been one of my favorites. I'm so biased about her, it hurt her here, I saw her as a very good shooting guard, and more than decent point guard from the start. But Gus I really really appreciate some one mentioning MARIA CONLON.

Reaction Score
I believe that Maria Conlon was one of the best. You forgotten, a great trey shooter, but she was great at stealing the ball from 'Kara Lawson' , one of which occurred at the very end of a National Championship game against Tennesee & gave us the crown . The year ?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
1. Maria Conlon
2. Rita Williams
3. Kara Wolters
4. Tiffany Hayes
5. Stefanie Dolson
6. Ketia Swanier
7. Kelly Schumacher
8. Mel Thomas
9. Barbara Turner
10. Jessica Moore

Reaction Score
1. Maria Conlon
2. Rita Williams
3. Kara Wolters
4. Tiffany Hayes
5. Stefanie Dolson
6. Ketia Swanier
7. Kelly Schumacher
8. Mel Thomas
9. Barbara Turner
10. Jessica Moore
Nice list.

Reaction Score
Since so many people like Maria Conlon. I do some research and yes, she is a big hidden gem.
Anyone can tell us who are in this lovely pic?
ConlonMaria_withfriends_lg.jpg

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Since so many people like Maria Conlon. I do some research and yes, she is a big hidden gem.
Anyone can tell us who are in this lovely pic?
ConlonMaria_withfriends_lg.jpg
Right to left: DT, unknown, Maria Conlon, unknown, Stacey Marron, Ashley Valley, Jessica Moore, Ashley Battle

Reaction Score
I believe that Maria Conlon was one of the best. You forgotten, a great trey shooter, but she was great at stealing the ball from 'Kara Lawson' , one of which occurred at the very end of a National Championship game against Tennesee & gave us the crown . The year ?
I think that's the 2004 game, and as a note, Conlon had steals at the end of the game and also at the end of the half.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If it was Lawson it would have to have been 2003.

Gblow8690

The So Called Troll
Reaction Score
I would say Maria Conlon. A player who most said she was way over her head at Uconn to starting PG for two years and 3 ships. Not bad for a valley girl.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Right to left: DT, unknown, Maria Conlon, unknown, Stacey Marron, Ashley Valley, Jessica Moore, Ashley Battle

Ahem.

I believe you identified them accurately from left (Diana) to right (Ashley Battle). ;)

Reaction Score
Dare I say Sue Bird? Lowly rated by Blue Star coming out of HS, tore her ACL in her freshman year, Sue became one of the best players at UConn, WNBA and won more championships than anyone could count.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can't believe that anyone would think of someone other than Dolson. A big girl not highly recruited. A bit over weight and out of (Uconn) shape. Early in her Freshman year she is thrown against a highly mobile 6 fto8 in Center --baptism by the fires of hell.
Then the next three years she turns into super woman--lighter, faster, more stamina and a great BB player--shooting 3's on a regular basis and a bull under the basket---going up against the most elite centers in America and winning.
It is definitely STEFF DOLSON!!! Big Mama!!!
Can't believe anyone would think Dolson. ????? She was a McD AA coming out of HS. I figured she had a decent shot at being AA when I saw her in the McD game. Didn't surprise me at all she became one.

I think the obvious choice has to be Wolters. JMoore and Conlon in the conversation. But Wolters was NPOY.

Reaction Score
This is a two horse race between Maria and Kara for me. I think the clear winner is Kara. You could have made yourself a lot of money if you offered to bet people at the end of her freshman year that she would go on to be NPOY.

Reaction Score
Can't believe anyone would think Dolson. ????? She was a McD AA coming out of HS. I figured she had a decent shot at being AA when I saw her in the McD game. Didn't surprise me at all she became one.

I think the obvious choice has to be Wolters. JMoore and Conlon in the conversation. But Wolters was NPOY.
Not only that, but it's not like UConn was the only top school offering Dolson. I know CViv recruited her, and I think Stef also mentioned Duke among others.

Reaction Score

I didn't see Steff in the McD classic--The first game out she looked a bit heavy, not particularly mobile, and sometimes lost in the process of the game. Her growth in all aspects of her life and basketball too, to me was truly amazing.
Wolters is another one I didn't see much of. Jessie Moore was a project and her growth is what I would have expected with the amount of one on one coaching she got while a red shirt and thereafter. Maria I thought her good from the start and while she was reliable and my emotional favorite (she is Connecticut born and bred) and she turned out to be a steady eddie 3 ball and foul shooter and underrated (I thank you for seeing the greatness in her)-- My choice still is Steff. You and others saw potential in the McD kid that I didn't have the luxury of seeing.
It would appear that many of the UConn women could have been chosen for this category's special Uconn Woman. That is a tribute to Geno/Shea/Marissa/CD's recruiting (player's that are willing to learn) and the Unique ability of Geno to mold less than great into greatness!!!

Reaction Score

That was my immediate thought. Over looked, over weight big girl to national player of the year and National and Olympic and pro champion!

Wally East

Reaction Score
Dare I say Sue Bird? Lowly rated by Blue Star coming out of HS, tore her ACL in her freshman year, Sue became one of the best players at UConn, WNBA and won more championships than anyone could count.

I think she was rated in the teens. In her first eight games, she had the offense running on all cylinders and was amazing. They scored 113 against UCLA and over 100 against ND.

Reaction Score
So, looking back across the years, which recruit grew into a better player than you expected?

Kara and Maria are good choices, but I am amazed that no one even mentioned Svetlana. Unknown girl from Russia comes to Storrs and becomes an All American.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom