Hey Swofford: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hey Swofford:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ACC was so bent on destroying the Big East that they ended up destroying their own league in the process. That league is a mess, they've destroyed or watered down all their natural rivalries.
So my guess, you'd wait for the BIG phone to ring, if this "watered down, "destroyed,"... " mess " of a dysfunctional ACC offered Uconn an invite tomorrow ? Just trying to get a handle on your thinking here, thats all.

Did the BE's incompetence in Providence have anything to do with the eventual collapse of the BE, in your opinion ?

Reaction Score
UConn fits in the ACC, especially with the ACC tourney slated for Brooklyn a little ways down the road. ACC would also have 4 of the last 5 champions playing the in the conference.

Reaction Score
The only bullet left in the chamber for our BC visitors is that we are not yet in a P5. Seems to me they ought to be focused on earning their keep within their own conference.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The only problem with the ACC is its arrangement with ND. Its the same arrangement the BE had - a place to park their olympic sports.

ND will stay with the ACC as long as it serves their purpose. Once something better comes along, ND will move. ND does what is best for ND, conference affiliation aside.

Reaction Score
The only bullet left in the chamber for our BC visitors is that we are not yet in a P5. Seems to me they ought to be focused on earning their keep within their own conference.

Yeah ok. Here's an opinion backed up with some facts from Stewart Mandel at ESPN. Until UCONN football has a a winning season there really isn't a whole lot to crow about Conference Realignment wise if you're a UCONN fan.

As a Boston College fan, what is a reasonable ceiling to expect from the Eagles in the coming years?
-- Kris, Edwardsville, Pa.

It's high. Boston College is not that far removed from winning consecutive ACC Atlantic Division titles in 2007 and '08 under Jeff Jagodzinski (the first with quarterback Matt Ryan). Unfortunately for the Eagles, their division has become considerably tougher following Florida State's resurgence, Clemson's rise and Louisville's arrival.

However, Boston College has more history than Louisville and was arguably stronger than Clemson for about 15 years before Tajh Boyd suited up for the Tigers. Now the Eagles have a coach, Steve Addazzio, who both preaches the physical style of offense that's long been a hallmark at Boston College and, along with his staff, may be the best recruiter to come through Chestnut Hill in a long, long time. Getting to 7-6 last fall given the state of that roster was no small feat. The Eagles may take a step back this year without Heisman finalist Andre Williams, but I'd bet on them becoming a Top 25-caliber team again soon.

Reaction Score
Yeah ok. Here's an opinion backed up with some facts from Stewart Mandel at ESPN. Until UCONN football has a a winning season there really isn't a whole lot to crow about Conference Realignment wise if you're a UCONN fan.

As a Boston College fan, what is a reasonable ceiling to expect from the Eagles in the coming years?

It's high. Boston College is not that far removed from winning consecutive ACC Atlantic Division titles in 2007 and '08 under Jeff Jagodzinski (the first with quarterback Matt Ryan). Unfortunately for the Eagles, their division has become considerably tougher following Florida State's resurgence, Clemson's rise and Louisville's arrival.

However, Boston College has more history than Louisville and was arguably stronger than Clemson for about 15 years before Tajh Boyd suited up for the Tigers. Now the Eagles have a coach, Steve Addazzio, who both preaches the physical style of offense that's long been a hallmark at Boston College and, along with his staff, may be the best recruiter to come through Chestnut Hill in a long, long time. Getting to 7-6 last fall given the state of that roster was no small feat. The Eagles may take a step back this year without Heisman finalist Andre Williams, but I'd bet on them becoming a Top 25-caliber team again soon.

I don't think you understand the difference between an opinion and a fact.

Reaction Score

The only fact presented is that BC went 7-6 last year......

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score

And UConn is even less removed from a BCS bowl in 2011.

Your point was?...

Reaction Score
the acc hates UCONN: why do boneyarders yearn for it? acc elitists with big endowments that dwarf UCONN only see UCONN as a drain on their resources & prestige & are searching 24/7 for any UCONN graves they can dance on

Reaction Score
The only fact presented is that BC went 7-6 last year.

BC won back to back division titles - that's a fact. Another fact not mentioned is BC won them in a Division that included Clemson and FSU. As I said UCONN should have a winning season again before beating their chests.

Reaction Score
Sportsart, those were definitely Matt Ryan years. The kid was and is a stud. That throw he made against VT was astounding, so much better than the Flutie miracle, which was really just a hail Mary that got caught. Without Matt Ryan, they are just the typical 7-5 club, but with Ryan they got into the top 10. Remarkable, but not easily replicable. Kind of like our Orlovsky days- they don't happen every year.

Reaction Score
BC won back to back division titles - that's a fact. Another fact not mentioned is BC won them in a Division that included Clemson and FSU. As I said UCONN should have a winning season again before beating their chests.

BC is so yesterday. You lost your identity and went from a storied national program and Beast of the East to a geographic oddity in a weakening also ran southern basketball conference. At one time BC was an amazing program. Those days are long gone. Nobody cares about BC . You lost New England.

Reaction Score

...with players who were recruited to play in the Big East. Coincidence?

Reaction Score
BC is on an uptick thanks to a Ct bred coach. Answer this question Why does BC refuse to play us?

Reaction Score
Why would FSU want to go to the SEC ? their recent ACC TV contract negotiations was to their approval.. and even more telling, they just got themselves a clear shot last season to win their National Championship coming out of their division in the ACC. Why would they give THAT up, by going to an SEC where they would have a much more difficult path to the National Championship ? FSU is not about to give up that good strategic football position in my view anytime soon.
They want out. If not the SEC then the Big 12.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-foot...estion-of-when-not-if-and-big-12-is-best-fit/

Reaction Score
The only problem with the ACC is its arrangement with ND. Its the same arrangement the BE had - a place to park their olympic sports.

ND will stay with the ACC as long as it serves their purpose. Once something better comes along, ND will move. ND does what is best for ND, conference affiliation aside.

College sports would make lots of money even if Notre Dame cease to exist anymore. The ACC agreed to the same stupid arrangement with ND that the BE had. Time for every other school in America to stop tripping over themselves and tell ND that when it comes to conference affiliation - its either all in or all out. Screw the Knute Rocknes. If they weren't on television, people would simply watch other games. Nothing special about them. NOTHING.

Reaction Score
No idea where Swofford stood in all of this, but the ACC has become the Big East. It's a better conference than the AAC for sure, but not as good as the B1G, and it is bound to be divided by political rivalries and a lack of shared values and goals among its members. A move to the ACC would be an improvement, but wouldn't be as exciting as a move to the B1G.
The problem I have with Swofford is that he lacks perhaps the primary qualification for his job: leadership. Either he doesn't have a vision for his conference or he lacks to ability to explain that vision. I think Swofford wanted the northeast. I think he realized the value of being a truly Atlantic Coast organization. I think he foresaw that taking a commanding position in the Boston/D.C. corridor could enable his conference to truly rival the SEC along the South Atlantic and render the B1G impotent along the North Atlantic. The problem was he couldn't fashion that vision into an actionable plan.

Perhaps frustrated in his desire to create something truly monumental, he lashed out, choosing destruction as Plan B. Of course he fumbled the opening kickoff of the Realignment Bowl. He picked a small, private institution exhausted by years of serving as a bad example for the value of college athletics and looking for a sugar daddy to help it de-emphasize football and burnish academics. He coupled them with another small, private school of marginal sports value situated on the moon (in terms of conference geography), and an undistinguished public university who climbed aboard the Vick brothers' shoulders to temporarily pop the top half of their heads above the college athletics horizon. The destruction of the Big East phase I failed. The ACC had landed at Omaha beach and was pushed back into the North Sea.

Swofford version 2.0 was released. The northeast was still wide open. All Johnny-boy needed to do was grab it. Instead of doing what rationality suggested and surrounding NYC in NJ and CT, he was off picking wild flowers along the Finger Lakes. (At least Warde had the sense to do his monitoring from the Caribbean). While JS and the ACC presidents were out hunting rabbits and squirrels, the big game headed off in the direction of Chicago. So much for Big Ten flaccidity Swing and a miss. Strike two.

I don't know if the abandonment of all principle, a.k.a., the addition of Louisville, is strike three or not and I really don't care. The fact is that with all his temper tantrums, all Swofford has managed to accomplish was to secure the plushest chair at the kids table for Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom