Hey Swofford:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He most likely does not care, since this was not a football championship

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
they've haven't added a football first school in a decade. everything they did was to destroy BE bball - they destroyed the conference but failed to raise their own game.

The ACC - where schools go to become irrevelant

Exactly. I guess Louisville could be seen as a football addition but I'm interested to see how the program does post-Strong (and with the very unreliable Petrino at the helm). The program could continue doing well or it could fall back to Kragthorpe football. But if anyone is claiming that Pitt and Cuse were "football" adds, then they haven't watched football in the past 20 years. Adding those schools had one purpose and one purpose only: destroy the Big East (with ESPiN's help) to monopolize east coast college athletics TV money.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I guess Louisville could be seen as a football addition but I'm interested to see how the program does post-Strong (and with the very unreliable Petrino at the helm). The program could continue doing well or it could fall back to Kragthorpe football. But if anyone is claiming that Pitt and Cuse were "football" adds, then they haven't watched football in the past 20 years. Adding those schools had one purpose and one purpose only: destroy the Big East (with ESPiN's help) to monopolize east coast college athletics TV money.
They're going to do great with Petrino at the helm. Don't even think about that. They did great with Petrino at the helm in Conference USA for heaven's sake. Petrino will have them competing for the NC. I'm sad that we didn't get picked, as bummed as you are, but don't sugar coat this. Petrino had Arkansas in the top 10. He will do the same with the Ville. Will he get caught? Unlikely.

Reaction Score
The ACC - where schools go to become irrevelant

I'm convinced after reading this site for awhile, that if Swofford retires, and if the ACC puts the lawsuit aside and invites Uconn, that Uconn will reject the invite as they won't want to become irrelevant in college sports. If not, then I'm confused totally as to why Uconn would ever want to join a league now that so many on here look down ,really dislike all its teams, its fans, its schools, its leaders, and consider so inferior, and worse, so sleazy in how it conducts its affairs.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced after reading this site for awhile, that if Swofford retires, and if the ACC puts the lawsuit aside and invites Uconn, that Uconn will reject the invite as they won't want to become irrelevant in college sports. If not, then I'm confused totally as to why Uconn would ever want to join a league now that so many on here look down ,really dislike all its teams, its fans, its schools, its leaders, and consider so inferior, and worse, so sleazy in how it conducts its affairs.
You know what...your right. Why should UConn take a lateral move to the ACC? Once Florida St and Clemson or Miami flee to the SEC, Maryland bolts to the B1G, what are you really left with? A glorified Big East? Been there.. done that. Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, New Orleans, Memphis, Annapolis all seem like better weekend destinations than Syracuse, Pittsburgh or Durham. Hell, Greenville is just as easy to drive to as Raleigh and there are 50,000 waiting for you when you get there. TV money will come as the markets get used to the new league and rivalries form. And then of course there's always the B1G lurking in the shadows. Now that's a league UCONN should be in.

Reaction Score
Won't get any of mine. No UConn, no watch.

Reaction Score
The Big East and the ACC had chances to create completely eastern coast conferences that would easily eventually have rivaled any other conference. The Pac-12 of the east. Hard to believe drama ruined such a possibility.

Reaction Score
You know what...your right. Why should UConn take a lateral move to the ACC? Once Florida St and Clemson or Miami flee to the SEC, Maryland bolts to the B1G, what are you really left with? A glorified Big East? Been there.. done that. Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, New Orleans, Memphis, Annapolis all seem like better weekend destinations than Syracuse, Pittsburgh or Durham. Hell, Greenville is just as easy to drive to as Raleigh and there are 50,000 waiting for you when you get there. TV money will come as the markets get used to the new league and rivalries form. And then of course there's always the B1G lurking in the shadows. Now that's a league UCONN should be in.

so the next round of realignment is going to be based on fans travel preference? lateral move? ugh

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Think of it this way....if your choice to get to work was a driving a Yugo or walking....you take the Yugo. You don't have to like it...but it beats walking. The ACC is our Yugo.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
When you are drowning, you take the first life raft offered. Period. That said I don't harbor as much butthurt as others regarding the ACC. I would LOVE to beat the crap out of BC and stick their faces in it on a regular basis- and quite frankly rekindling that rivalry would be great for both of us, as much as they are loathe to admit it. I think we would quickly develop rivalries all around. In short it would be great. Not quite B1G great, but still great. :D

Reaction Score
Be realistic for a second. I feel the ACC would be UConn's best, most natural conference to be in. We just understand that BC and maybe even SU would do everything in their power to keep us out, so our disdain comes from there. By now, you jamokes should get it. Keeping is out is not the same as keeping us down. Witness the last two nights, two national championships as evidence. At this point, I would love to join any P5 Conference, and if the ACC can't see that the premier overall athletic department in the NORTHEAST continues to be right under their noses, and want to risk another P5 conference upstage it on a regular basis in their own territory they can keep thumbing their nose at us. You know, the he who laughs last stuff.

Reaction Score
I think it's quite clear that the ACC via Swofford has been trying to bury UConn. The pretext is "football schools" for taking Pitt and Cuse, but they have not been strong national football schools for close to 15 years. Capturing the East Coast market is a main objective, BUT there is a motivation to destroy UConn, especially hobbling the basketball program. The years of Duke and NC being the premier programs is over... Remember that the ACC's claim to fame is Tobacco Road....basketball, not football. Swofford is a predator, and killing threats is also part if his game. If we ever go to the ACC, I'll vomit. We will be in the B1G, it is the right fit and we bring real value.

Reaction Score
When you are drowning, you take the first life raft offered. Period. That said I don't harbor as much butthurt as others regarding the ACC. I would LOVE to beat the crap out of BC and stick their faces in it on a regular basis- and quite frankly rekindling that rivalry would be great for both of us, as much as they are loathe to admit it. I think we would quickly develop rivalries all around. In short it would be great. Not quite B1G great, but still great. :D

This is exactly what Louisville did -- C-USA to the Big East to the ACC in ten years. Done.

I would love to be a Big Ten institution but I'd prefer that our teams play ACC schedules (as if that were possible).

The ACC is entirely within the Eastern Time Zone, with easy trips from Hartford, and with a few short or familiar road trips (BC and Syracuse). I'd also love a rivalry non-conference game with Rutgers, too, for the same reason.

Right now, however, we're beggars, not choosers. We need that first life raft to be offered.

pj

Reaction Score
No idea where Swofford stood in all of this, but the ACC has become the Big East. It's a better conference than the AAC for sure, but not as good as the B1G, and it is bound to be divided by political rivalries and a lack of shared values and goals among its members. A move to the ACC would be an improvement, but wouldn't be as exciting as a move to the B1G.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Be realistic for a second. I feel the ACC would be UConn's best, most natural conference to be in. We just understand that BC and maybe even SU would do everything in their power to keep us out, so our disdain comes from there. By now, you jamokes should get it. Keeping is out is not the same as keeping us down. Witness the last two nights, two national championships as evidence. At this point, I would love to join any P5 Conference, and if the ACC can't see that the premier overall athletic department in the NORTHEAST continues to be right under their noses, and want to risk another P5 conference upstage it on a regular basis in their own territory they can keep thumbing their nose at us. You know, the he who laughs last stuff.

I understand some of the bitterness, but we get carried away on this board. The ACC would be an excellent landing place. The basketball would be superb, and the football, plenty good enough. It's also strong in soccer and baseball. It lacks hockey, which doesn't matter now. It's really a great fit all around. The B1G is perhaps exciting, with basketball at a similar level and better, bigger name football. Baseball isn't as good, nor soccer (except Indiana perhaps). Hockey would mean leaving a great local league for a very good distant one. The appeal for me is mostly the idea of playing legendary football programs, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State. But each has strengths and weaknesses.

Reaction Score
I think it's quite clear that the ACC via Swofford has been trying to bury UConn. The pretext is "football schools" for taking Pitt and Cuse, but they have not been strong national football schools for close to 15 years. Capturing the East Coast market is a main objective, BUT there is a motivation to destroy UConn, especially hobbling the basketball program. The years of Duke and NC being the premier programs is over... Remember that the ACC's claim to fame is Tobacco Road....basketball, not football. Swofford is a predator, and killing threats is also part if his game. If we ever go to the ACC, I'll vomit. We will be in the B1G, it is the right fit and we bring real value.

Save for the last part of this post, I totally agree. I'd love for UConn to end up in ACC. If we have to travel great distances, please let it be measured in southerly latitude and not same latitude different longitude.

I do agree the ACC's end game was to destroy the nation's best college basketball conference. Mission accomplished and shame on the NCAA, the courts and those who work in the field of monopolistic (oligopolistic) and predatory practice to stifle completion. UConn should and soon must be in a major conference.

Reaction Score
The Big East and the ACC had chances to create completely eastern coast conferences that would easily eventually have rivaled any other conference. The Pac-12 of the east. Hard to believe drama ruined such a possibility.
I agree. Had Pitt and Penn State got themselves together and ironed out their football differences it might have had some slight chance. On the other hand the BE was almost from day 1 a basketball league started by basketball people out of Providence that had a basketball centric world mindset that did not, could not, adapt to the changing landscape all around them where football was increasingly driving the revenue bus in college sports. Thats my 2 cents worth of rear view mirror gazing on all this anyway in retrospect.

Reaction Score
I agree. Had Pitt and Penn State got themselves together and ironed out their football differences it might have had some slight chance. On the other hand the BE was almost from day 1 a basketball league started by basketball people out of Providence that had a basketball centric world mindset that did not, could not, adapt to the changing landscape all around them where football was increasingly driving the revenue bus in college sports. Thats my 2 cents worth of rear view mirror gazing on all this anyway in retrospect.
Unfortunately when the BE was created in 1979, football schools here preferred independence. Paterno saw the future while others didn't.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
No idea where Swofford stood in all of this, but the ACC has become the Big East. It's a better conference than the AAC for sure, but not as good as the B1G, and it is bound to be divided by political rivalries and a lack of shared values and goals among its members. A move to the ACC would be an improvement, but wouldn't be as exciting as a move to the B1G.

THIS!

Reaction Score
They're going to do great with Petrino at the helm. Don't even think about that. They did great with Petrino at the helm in Conference USA for heaven's sake. Petrino will have them competing for the NC. I'm sad that we didn't get picked, as bummed as you are, but don't sugar coat this. Petrino had Arkansas in the top 10. He will do the same with the Ville. Will he get caught? Unlikely.
Inviting the commuter college Lousiville over UCONN was a huge mistake for the ACC, not now but in coming years. The SEC will poach the best schools eventually. FSU wants out like now.

Reaction Score
The ACC was so bent on destroying the Big East that they ended up destroying their own league in the process. That league is a mess, they've destroyed or watered down all their natural rivalries.

Reaction Score
Inviting the commuter college Lousiville over UCONN was a huge mistake for the ACC, not now but in coming years. The SEC will poach the best schools eventually. FSU wants out like now.
Why would FSU want to go to the SEC ? their recent ACC TV contract negotiations was to their approval.. and even more telling, they just got themselves a clear shot last season to win their National Championship coming out of their division in the ACC. Why would they give THAT up, by going to an SEC where they would have a much more difficult path to the National Championship ? FSU is not about to give up that good strategic football position in my view anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom