Hey basketball world | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hey basketball world

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This sounds incredibly trite, but I wish I personally knew Kim a little so as to better understand her as a coach. She's such a fierce competitor and has had such a distinguished basketball career (3 NCs, right? player, ass't coach, head coach?). But she seems to pay such a high price for her competitive nature. Certainly, college basketball seems to attract "control freak" coaches. Maybe it's the nature of the sport, with intimate physical proximity between players and the bench, plus the game is so fast moving that it's virtually impossible to be confident of consistent and predictable referee's calls or even to control the tempo of your own team. And there is such impossibly high pressure about recruiting, since just one player can completely change your program. But of all the control freaks--and that certainly includes Geno--Kim seems most a prisoner to her emotions, and maybe that ain't so good for the team ultimately....
Sophia Young and Brittney Griner (Odyssey) made her look great. I'm not sure how beautiful her campus is but somehow she continues to attract good players

Reaction Score
Along with Texas, Maryland, and Ohio State. The schedule is tough. Very long odds to make it through that gauntlet unblemished especially with a young team.
The gauntlet is the correct description.\
It can be done---but chemistry and growth in positions --is needed. It can be done--but that is a probability type of question. No one is guaranteed a win--and that helps Uconn.

Reaction Score
I was surprised to read on the Lady Vols board, post complaining that even during their championship years, Coach Summit's offense was not organized and that she was not as good an x's and o's coach that many people thought she was.
There are idiots on all boards. 1000 plus wins says something about X n O.
Old saying goes; Never speak ill of the dead--they may speak ill of you (think about that one) Wooooo Woooo !

Reaction Score
Something similar might have been said about Pat Summit, though I sort of was amused by (and sometimes terrified of!) her in-game histrionics. But she never managed to let her offensive game evolve. Opposite of Geno who is always ready to throw away what worked yesterday for what he thinks will work today.
Lou Holtz, while at Arkansas, pulled every rabbit out his hat --and once in a while a wild cat. I began to believe he could pull a win out of anything anytime.
With Geno--back when he was down at times at half time, he'd pull some tigers out of his fedora or Danbury Beaver and win somehow. I became a believer.
Geno, by his own admission-will use and modify other coaches plays.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Even in her demented years --she outcoached Holly.

Holly was a loyal serf, nothing more. Amazed that next year's number 2 chose Tennessee. Maybe they will shock some day. I suspect not this year or next.

Reaction Score
This sounds incredibly trite, but I wish I personally knew Kim a little so as to better understand her as a coach. She's such a fierce competitor and has had such a distinguished basketball career (3 NCs, right? player, ass't coach, head coach?). But she seems to pay such a high price for her competitive nature. Certainly, college basketball seems to attract "control freak" coaches. Maybe it's the nature of the sport, with intimate physical proximity between players and the bench, plus the game is so fast moving that it's virtually impossible to be confident of consistent and predictable referee's calls or even to control the tempo of your own team. And there is such impossibly high pressure about recruiting, since just one player can completely change your program. But of all the control freaks--and that certainly includes Geno--Kim seems most a prisoner to her emotions, and maybe that ain't so good for the team ultimately....
You are right again=- abt control freaks. My only (usually) following of Pat Summitt was when she played Uconn--she was tough, she was vocal--I'm not sure I saw the "histrionics' some saw.
Mulkey with her over the top emotions during games isn't doing her physical or mental health any favors--if she doesn't have a stroke --I'll miss a bet.
Geno is the Master-essential-model--Control Freak. I cannot believe he and a dozen other successful coaches could be AS successful without the absolute control. The off side of his control--is he demands his kids THINK while in the game-analyze while in the game--change while in the game--to have that kind of players you need intelligent and coachable players.

Reaction Score
People said the true test was Bayor before the game.....LOL
Actually--I said the first TRUE test was Florida. The div2 games were just warm up.
Baylor was no warm up--neither is a half dozen others including ND and all of the out of conference games. Take none for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom