Hey basketball world | The Boneyard

Hey basketball world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The true test will be Notre Dame, IMHO. I think they're the toughest competition.

But they didn't look like it tonight. A 4-point home win over Green Bay is about as underwhelming as it gets.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mulkey, as spokesperson for WCBB:

Mulkey.jpg

Reaction Score
This sounds incredibly trite, but I wish I personally knew Kim a little so as to better understand her as a coach. She's such a fierce competitor and has had such a distinguished basketball career (3 NCs, right? player, ass't coach, head coach?). But she seems to pay such a high price for her competitive nature. Certainly, college basketball seems to attract "control freak" coaches. Maybe it's the nature of the sport, with intimate physical proximity between players and the bench, plus the game is so fast moving that it's virtually impossible to be confident of consistent and predictable referee's calls or even to control the tempo of your own team. And there is such impossibly high pressure about recruiting, since just one player can completely change your program. But of all the control freaks--and that certainly includes Geno--Kim seems most a prisoner to her emotions, and maybe that ain't so good for the team ultimately....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This sounds incredibly trite, but I wish I personally knew Kim a little so as to better understand her as a coach. She's such a fierce competitor and has had such a distinguished basketball career (3 NCs, right? player, ass't coach, head coach?). But she seems to pay such a high price for her competitive nature. Certainly, college basketball seems to attract "control freak" coaches. Maybe it's the nature of the sport, with intimate physical proximity between players and the bench, plus the game is so fast moving that it's virtually impossible to be confident of consistent and predictable referee's calls or even to control the tempo of your own team. And there is such impossibly high pressure about recruiting, since just one player can completely change your program. But of all the control freaks--and that certainly includes Geno--Kim seems most a prisoner to her emotions, and maybe that ain't so good for the team ultimately....

Totally agree here. She's not much of an in game coach IMO. Then there is the teams she builds. Not much flexibility/adaptability.

Reaction Score
Totally agree here. She's not much of an in game coach IMO. Then there is the teams she builds. Not much flexibility/adaptability.
Something similar might have been said about Pat Summit, though I sort of was amused by (and sometimes terrified of!) her in-game histrionics. But she never managed to let her offensive game evolve. Opposite of Geno who is always ready to throw away what worked yesterday for what he thinks will work today.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn is still UConn.

For the rest of the D-1 basketball world, that's a scary thought. Especially since this was supposed to be an "off" year for them. Other programs were excited about the prospect of UConn not being a viable contender this season, thereby clearing the way for the other 7-8 top ranked teams to win it all.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

During games, announcers invariably comment, and often, that "Mulkey is working the officials."

Maybe too much a "point of emphasis"?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Totally agree and her post game presser proves it. She said she has to review the tape to see what happened ( paraphrasing). If see doesn't know, and her assistants don't know (speculation) how is her team going to know how to adjust in real time. One of her players eluded to this.

She's a good coach and a very good recruiter. But her players do not seem to develop over their four years at Baylor - IMO.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Something similar might have been said about Pat Summit, though I sort of was amused by (and sometimes terrified of!) her in-game histrionics. But she never managed to let her offensive game evolve. Opposite of Geno who is always ready to throw away what worked yesterday for what he thinks will work today.
I was surprised to read on the Lady Vols board, post complaining that even during their championship years, Coach Summit's offense was not organized and that she was not as good an x's and o's coach that many people thought she was.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was surprised to read on the Lady Vols board, post complaining that even during their championship years, Coach Summit's offense was not organized and that she was not as good an x's and o's coach that many people thought she was.
Consider the source and also consider they were probably comparing it to Holly's X & O.

Reaction Score
Totally agree and her post game presser proves it. She said she has to review the tape to see what happened ( paraphrasing). If see doesn't know, and her assistants don't know (speculation) how is her team going to know how to adjust in real time. One of her players eluded to this.

She's a good coach and a very good recruiter. But her players do not seem to develop over their four years at Baylor - IMO.

Ah, I think the review the tape stuff was just a can'd answer to get on the next question. I'm sure she has an idea... just didn't want to discuss it for whatever reason.

Reaction Score
During games, announcers invariably comment, and often, that "Mulkey is working the officials."

Maybe too much a "point of emphasis"?
Way too much. At a crucial point with about 6 minutes? to go, behind by 6 or 8?, and her team struggling to score she had her top scorer Jones off the floor while she ragged the officials. Brought her back with about 3? minutes to go down 10?. Game over.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This sounds incredibly trite, but I wish I personally knew Kim a little so as to better understand her as a coach. She's such a fierce competitor and has had such a distinguished basketball career (3 NCs, right? player, ass't coach, head coach?). ...Kim seems most a prisoner to her emotions, and maybe that ain't so good for the team ultimately....
She was my favorite player when she was in college. She was relentless. Taking her foot off the gas must not come easy to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom