Here's to Bouknight | The Boneyard

Here's to Bouknight

Reaction Score
The majority of the Bouknight threads lately have focused on his legacy, body language, frailness, and other shortcomings.

I just want to commend his heart, competitiveness, and determination.

He clearly worked incredibly hard in the off-season during a pandemic, He puts his body on the line on every play and goes up with and into the trees constantly. He came back from an injury and gutted out the season despite it not being necessary for his career prospects. He makes his bread on drawing hard fouls from the opposition who are keying in on him with multiple guys. He was a game time decision yesterday, got hit to the ground multiple times, got chopped in the neck, and still went out in the 2nd half and drew us a bunch of fouls and got us the lead with 5 minutes left.

He played to the point of exhaustion this weekend. He came back in the game despite suffering severe cramps on Friday and the game being a blowout. He was a game time decision yesterday and did his best.

He's a warrior and a GREAT Husky,

Reaction Score
Finally a positive post! Bouk has done so much for this team and every time we lose people need to come on here and crucify all of our players.

So proud of these guys. You can tell how much they care about this team based on their emotions after the game. Thank you to Bouk & all the players and coaches for helping get UConn our national recognition back.

Still work to be done.

Reaction Score
I have a ton of respect for Bouk battling it out when he could’ve entered the draft already like other players have, especially with the injury and in a covid year. Definitely wasn’t himself but he gave it a go when he didn’t have to and put us in position to win he didn’t come up clutch it happens no one else stepped up either it was a team loss.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
That rip away steal yesterday was awesome. I agree with everything you posted. It's ok to acknowledge he didn't quite meet our outsized Big East Tournament expectations for one reason or another, but he still has a golden opportunity to make March memories beginning next week.

Reaction Score
That rip away steal yesterday was awesome. I agree with everything you posted. It's ok to acknowledge he didn't quite meet our outsized Big East Tournament expectations for one reason or another, but he still has a golden opportunity to make March memories beginning next week.
If we'd have scored at the other end (and won the game), that play would have gone down as a permanent UConn highlight. But we botched it at the other end, lost the game, so it won't. Those are the breaks. Great play though.

Reaction Score
thanks for this post.

lots of people don't seem to understand what we have in bouknight -- a supremely talented young player who cares about his team and leaves it all out there.

he will go to the nba next year (and should) and our program will continue to benefit from him as an advertisement of what is possible when good players choose to play at uconn.

Reaction Score
And he could’ve mailed it in after the arm injury too. We’re not nearly as good without him. Hopefully he’ll do his part along with his teammates over the next few weeks.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I can’t imagine where the program would be without Bouk yet every time he slightly strays from these posters’ idealized version of what he should be, it’s:
1615679238957.gif

Reaction Score
Any one who wants to trash the kid should ask themselves one question. Whenever UConn's final game of the season is, if Bouk sat down at the post game presser and said "You know what, I've decided I love college and I'm coming back for one more year.", how would you react. I don't think there is a true UConn fan out there who wouldn't just yell out loud with joy.

Honestly, there has been a player or two who has come through the program that I was ready to move on from In no way is Bouk one of them.

Good luck to him in the NBA. His success will also be UConn's success.

Reaction Score
Excellent post.
I would love to see Bouk come back next year, but it ain't happening.

Upcoming NCAA games aside, I selfishly wish I could have seen a lot more games with him wearing a Husky uniform.

Reaction Score
My only concern about him in the NBA is that his style of play is going to do a number on him physically.

Reaction Score
My only concern about him in the NBA is that his style of play is going to do a number on him physically.
I think the opposite. He will obviously have to gain some weight and improve physically but I think the spacing in the NBA is going to allow him to play his game so much easier.

The spacing in the college game plus him being constantly double and triple teamed (all while being fouled almost every time he gets the ball) definitely has its downsides. I just don’t think he’ll get banged up as much cause he’s constantly being fouled and defenders don’t play clean with him cause they have no other way to stop him.

I can see him improving due to the NBA spacing. Again, definitely needs to put on more weight, but most players going into the NBA will. He’s still young, he’ll figure it out.

Reaction Score
I don’t think his legs have really been close to 100% since he came back. The Georgetown game I thought was one of the first times where he had his legs completely under him. Whenever he shoots it looks like he’s trying to push the ball in instead of just shooting it. The step back last night looked good. Off balance a lot since he came back.

Obviously he wasn’t 100% last night after the cramps vs DePaul.

Reaction Score
Whatever he’s been been doing to keep hydrated, he should do the exact opposite. Full body cramps after 20 minutes in a 30 point blowout on 5 days rest is unreal. Total fail on the training staff. Has anyone seen anything like that after watching UConn over the last 30 years?

Reaction Score
Whatever he’s been been doing to keep hydrated, he should do the exact opposite. Full body cramps after 20 minutes in a 30 point blowout on 5 days rest is unreal. Total fail on the training staff. Has anyone seen anything like that after watching UConn over the last 30 years?
You’re right. Unless he had the flu or something recently, this was really crazy.

Reaction Score
Listen, UCONN isn’t where they are today without him, yes. But, being a “great Husky” is still a bit of a stretch. The reason I say so is what other “great Huskies” there have been and how he stacks up. I’d say he’s towards the bottom of that group. Maybe our standards have been lowered from watching a poor product for many years? Where’s the defining moments? The big shots? The game winner? Historical games? There really aren’t any. I’ve been watching UCONN for 30 years. Bouk is good and has a ton of potential, but he’s not great, IMO. Not trying to knock him, I just don’t agree with how high some of you think of him.

He’s a lottery pick because of how his stats were this year in a weak draft class. Kemba was a PoY finalist, National Champion, king of MSG, countless unbelievable games and was the 9th pick.....9th.....Bouk is probably going to be around 15. You know what, if that’s where he’s projected to go, then he has to go. It’s his livelihood. Go get that money.

I believe he should be given credit for getting us back in the national conversation, but at the end of the day, this team is not a Top 25 team. Hasn’t beaten a Top 25 team all year and really played in a weak Big East this year. Realistically, UCONN is a 7-9 seed at best for the tournament. Granted, we haven’t been in the tournament in 5 years, so there’s that.

I’m excited for where the program is going, but I do believe we get caught up in some excitement because there hasn’t been much to brag about in years.

I hope his career at UCONN doesn’t end too soon and he can be a part of/lead a team that can make some noise in the tournament. God knows we have seen countless members here say how “dangerous” and “deep” this team is and how they are now “coming together”. Well, go show it!!! Because, honestly, I think WE think this team is better than they are. I’d like to be proved wrong. Let’s see some defining Bouknight moments. Let’s see him do great things. I just haven’t seen them yet.

Reaction Score
Listen, UCONN isn’t where they are today without him, yes. But, being a “great Husky” is still a bit of a stretch. The reason I say so is what other “great Huskies” there have been and how he stacks up. I’d say he’s towards the bottom of that group. Maybe our standards have been lowered from watching a poor product for many years? Where’s the defining moments? The big shots? The game winner? Historical games? There really aren’t any. I’ve been watching UCONN for 30 years. Bouk is good and has a ton of potential, but he’s not great, IMO. Not trying to knock him, I just don’t agree with how high some of you think of him.

He’s a lottery pick because of how his stats were this year in a weak draft class. Kemba was a PoY finalist, National Champion, king of MSG, countless unbelievable games and was the 9th pick.....9th.....Bouk is probably going to be around 15. You know what, if that’s where he’s projected to go, then he has to go. It’s his livelihood. Go get that money.

I believe he should be given credit for getting us back in the national conversation, but at the end of the day, this team is not a Top 25 team. Hasn’t beaten a Top 25 team all year and really played in a weak Big East this year. Realistically, UCONN is a 7-9 seed at best for the tournament. Granted, we haven’t been in the tournament in 5 years, so there’s that.

I’m excited for where the program is going, but I do believe we get caught up in some excitement because there hasn’t been much to brag about in years.

I hope his career at UCONN doesn’t end too soon and he can be a part of/lead a team that can make some noise in the tournament. God knows we have seen countless members here say how “dangerous” and “deep” this team is and how they are now “coming together”. Well, go show it!!! Because, honestly, I think WE think this team is better than they are. I’d like to be proved wrong. Let’s see some defining Bouknight moments. Let’s see him do great things. I just haven’t seen them yet.
What does being a great Husky mean to you? Is it really just big shots and defining moments? Championships?

I think that's where our disagreement starts and ends. It's a subjective term, and you're free to use it however you wish, but I encourage you to re-evaluate the criteria by which you're judging individual players. It's possible you're taking it to mean "A Husky Great" versus "A great Husky". To me, there is a distinction there. A great Husky embodies what it means to be a member of our program, whereas a Husky Great entails certain accomplishments.

He's a great Husky to me because of the effort, skill, and toughness he plays with. He leaves everything he has on the court and puts his body on the line constantly. Missing a clutch shot or two doesn't change my view on that at all.

As an aside, it's not a weak draft class at all. Experts have said the top 5 is as good as it's been in a decade+.

Reaction Score
What does being a great Husky mean to you? Is it really just big shots and defining moments? Championships?

I think that's where our disagreement starts and ends. It's a subjective term, and you're free to use it however you wish, but I encourage you to re-evaluate the criteria by which you're judging individual players. It's possible you're taking it to mean "A Husky Great" versus "A great Husky". To me, there is a distinction there. A great Husky embodies what it means to be a member of our program, whereas a Husky Great entails certain accomplishments.

He's a great Husky to me because of the effort, skill, and toughness he plays with. He leaves everything he has on the court and puts his body on the line constantly. Missing a clutch shot or two doesn't change my view on that at all.

As an aside, it's not a weak draft class at all. Experts have said the top 5 is as good as it's been in a decade+.
I agree we’re all entitled to view it as we may, but if I go by your criteria, there have been hundreds of “great Husky” players that left it all on the court and put their body on the line. To me, that comes with being a D1 collegiate athlete at a major program. You better do that, or frankly, you don’t belong.

Reaction Score
I agree we’re all entitled to view it as we may, but if I go by your criteria, there have been hundreds of “great Husky” players that left it all on the court and put their body on the line.
Yes there have been. We've been blessed. One of the reasons we've had so much success. It isn't always the case at every program.

Reaction Score

I agree with this sentiment. Bouk is a great player who represents our university and our culture very well. He just isn’t in the pantheon of UConn’s all time greats........yet! (I hope)

Reaction Score
It wasn't his night. Wasn't a good night for the guards in general. But in the second half Bouk attacked. Against solid defenders. Sometimes effectively. Sometimes not. This is something he needs to work on. This is not a criticism. It's not an easy thing to do. Fearlessly and effectively driving into your defender. Into the heart of the D. The players who do it well are the better players in the nba.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I agree we’re all entitled to view it as we may, but if I go by your criteria, there have been hundreds of “great Husky” players that left it all on the court and put their body on the line. To me, that comes with being a D1 collegiate athlete at a major program. You better do that, or frankly, you don’t belong.
How many of them averaged 20 ppg and made all BE 1st team as a sophomore?

Reaction Score

You’re right. Unless he had the flu or something recently, this was really crazy.

You guys are absolutely insane with these horrible takes. Also shows how much time you’ve spent doing highly athletic activities.

Sometimes things like cramps happen even with proper pre-activity preparation. Even in the highest-level athletes.

Give it a rest please. Or keep embarrassing yourselves. I’m fine either way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom