Here's a Talent Indicator For The Non-Believers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Here's a Talent Indicator For The Non-Believers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Summers and Fatukasi are locks in my opinion. If Carrezola continues on his upward trajectory he should be in there too. Stapleton will get looks just based on athleticism alone...
And these guys are all under classmen too.

Reaction Score
I can't believe we have no one on the roster who can return a punt. Speaks to depth, recruiting and scheme
Its less about returning a punt than it is:
  • Blocking for a Punt Return
  • Actually scheming to return a punt. The entire year our Special Teams was focused on not making errors to lose the game. We were content on just taking the ball wherever they would give it to us. Which in respect to our recent history, was not the worst decision of all time.

Reaction Score
Summers and Fatukasi are locks in my opinion. If Carrezola continues on his upward trajectory he should be in there too. Stapleton will get looks just based on athleticism alone. Campenni should be in the late rounds this year, and if Adams has a good series of workouts/combine he might get a look as well. Maybe Obi if he keeps playing the way he did the second half of this year.
Agree on Summers even though that is a year or two down the line, but I would be willing to make a big wager Campenni is not drafted.

Fatukasi sure maybe I dunno.

Obviously a lot depends on workout but Summers and maybe Adams are the only two I see as possibilities.

Reaction Score
I don't think Campenni gets drafted just because his only NFL position would be a 3-4 nose and he's just not big enough for that.

I think Fatukasi is a likely NFL pick. Summers almost certainly. Obi could end up as one of those workout warriors who gets into the very late rounds based on great measurables.

Reaction Score
UConn has had a lot of guys drafted. I think Obi will absolutely get drafted. He will wow people with his measurables. One guy of this years team that may shock you is Graham Stewart. I have always been critical of him believing he was overrated, but he played much better. Another guy who will show outstanding measurables. This year he played with great game speed, and tackled really well in the open field. Jhavon Williams is another guy to keep an eye on.

Reaction Score
Projecting draft beyond this year's vintage does not make sense to me. Who saw Summers as draftable before this year began. For this lass I see Campenni, Adams, and Stewart as draftable. Will any of them? Who knows, but I rank them as Adams, Camp and GS. I can see Stewart, Vann and Kenton as camp guys.

As for comments on specials - seems offbase, but, to be successful in the return game you have to put a PR team on the field. If you watch, we often leave D on field and pull a S and swap in PR - that's not a PR team, that's let protect against a fake and can the guy back there wave his hands really high. I'm told Ike Turner will tell you that he loved Tina.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Its less about returning a punt than it is:
  • Blocking for a Punt Return
  • Actually scheming to return a punt. The entire year our Special Teams was focused on not making errors to lose the game. We were content on just taking the ball wherever they would give it to us. Which in respect to our recent history, was not the worst decision of all time.

They don't even seem to have anyone who can catch a punt.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know if Summers is a true lock down corner (seems to be on his way), but talent evaluators rarely form their full opinion based on 5.5 games of a player's true freshman season.

Reaction Score
They don't even seem to have anyone who can catch a punt.

We have several but the coaches don't allow them to run. There were even restrictions placed on Nick Williams. He was told to fair catch or let it hit the ground many times. Part of it is no strategy to rush the punter who simply waits then punts, allowing cover team to swarm our returner.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We have several but the coaches don't allow them to run. There were even restrictions placed on Nick Williams. He was told to fair catch or let it hit the ground many times. Part of it is no strategy to rush the punter who simply waits then punts, allowing cover team to swarm our returner.

Vitale can barely catch the ball. It's a three ring circus on punt returns.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How is it limiting errors if the returner muffs one punt a game.

We were extremely lucky on returns this season.

Reaction Score
I can't believe we have no one on the roster who can return a punt. Speaks to depth, recruiting and scheme

I wouldn't blame it all on the player catching the punt. No matter who it was, it seems if he caught it, as opposed to letting it bounce away, when he looked to run he was surrounded by special teams players wearing a different color jersey.

Meanwhile, UConn's special team players were still at the LOS trying to block air!

No wonder one of the commentators at the Temple-UConn game spoke with amazement when he said UConn had two return yards.......for the year!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
What would our offensive numbers look like without the Temple debacle and the Tulane monsoon? Somewhat in jest, but trying to keep some perspective here...

(and to those who will flog this - keep in mind you're talking a grand total of 12 data points for every team. When 1/6 of your games are "flawed," it matters)
don't forget the Missouri morass, the cincy surrender, or the running of the bulls...

Reaction Score
When have you seen our OT's who are every bit the right size for FBS football really bury someone on the other team. I mean drive them back and into the ground? Act like they want to kick some butt? The lack of a solid consistent run game makes our defensive stats more impressive. Our punt return game needs to be addressed and the press should ask BD WTF is up with that aspect of our game. We don't really rush the punter so if he muffs the snap it is no big deal, he has all day to pick up the ball and kick it. We don't block so our returner if he catches it has to fair catch it. Other teams love this aspect of our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom