Here we go again. | The Boneyard

Here we go again.

Reaction Score
Reading some of your post regarding Azzi, it appears some of you want to do the same thing some did to CW. Can you at least wait until she gets on the court with her college team before you pick her apart?
I read both the yard and Volnation. I’m beginning to see the similarities.

Reaction Score
These games don't matter, and the comments about them matter even less. Azzi's reputation does not depend on her work in Hungary. She's had many years to solidify her creds. Anyone who doesn't appreciate the fact that she's playing with UConn isn't paying attention. There is simply no one like her.
Let's just have her back home in one piece.

Reaction Score
This is a "TEAM" of very talented young ladies. Cori Close is
doing a nice job with the " chemistry" . Their is no "I" in team.
JUST WIN, BABY = remember Momma "E" : the goal is
" unfinished business". The WHOLE is greater than the sum of
it's parts. == just ask Australia ( Jade Melbourne), France, Canada
( Day Wilson), and, to some extent Mali ( e.g. Sika Kone ). The Kudos
should be spread wide and evenly!! ( after they win tomorrow, I hope).
Let the games continue!! Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Reaction Score
These games don't matter, and the comments about them matter even less. Azzi's reputation does not depend on her work in Hungary. She's had many years to solidify her creds. Anyone who doesn't appreciate the fact that she's playing with UConn isn't paying attention. There is simply no one like her.
Let's just have her back home in one piece.
Huskyd for President!!

Reaction Score
Reading some of your post regarding Azzi, it appears some of you want to do the same thing some did to CW. Can you at least wait until she gets on the court with her college team before you pick her apart?
It's boredom. As for Volnation...it's depression. Every player is their next "Candace" that they must get, but don't get. They would sacrifice their first born for Azzi.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It's boredom. As for Volnation...it's depression. Every player is their next "Candace" that they must get, but don't get. They would sacrifice their first born for Azzi.
Desperation, you can just feel it in their recruiting threads. Seems like life and death sometimes, I feel fortunate to be a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, on this board no one ever sweats over a recruit.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Not like them. What we do, once we land the prize recruit is bring her name up in every thread no matter what. We name a savior before we have won the NC. It gets crazy like that!
oh and we never blame Pat or any other coach ( well maybe MM). On that board EVERYTHING is Genos fault.

Reaction Score
How many players are superstars the first time out in Fiba competition? It takes experience to get used to the type of play allowed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
How many players are superstars the first time out in Fiba competition? It takes experience to get used to the type of play allowed.
This is Azzi's third FIBA competition, 2017 U-16 Women's Americas Championship in Argentina and in the 2018 U-17 Women's Basketball World Cup in Belarus. She should be used to it. I believe she also played in some of the FIBA 3x3 competition.

Reaction Score
She passes too much, she’s not aggressive enough, she doesn’t have a pull up jumper, she won’t go inside, she is on her fourth injury blah blah blah. Can she even play basketball? What was Geno thinking. I thought she’d be a Mitchell or Chennedy or Arika type player. We are doomed!

Reaction Score
Typical Boneyard thread. Complaining about people complaining. Of course I'm not complaining!
Come on B. Season hasnt started so we need something. When the season starts we can complain about the rotation, who should start, when subs should come in etc etc etc……BrianUC there is always something to complain about. Lol

Reaction Score
It's hero guard ball out there. There is passing from the guards to the bigs but little amongst the guards. I was more impressed with her defense than anything else, since we were aware of her offense. She is a also a talented and unselfish passer. She picked the right school for college. It's still the best and most vertical pull up I've ever seen in a pre college player.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW, and I posted numerous comments in the individual game threads after watching each game, I saw some great things from Azzi and IMHO things she needs to work on.

Her shooting is exceptional - You expect the ball to go in the hoop literally every single time. One aspect of her shooting is her form - not only is it perfection, but when she gets open and actually receives a pass (this U19 team is NOT pass first), she is literally setting her feet and body before catching, so her shot gets off exceptionally fast.

Everything else she does is very good - from ball handling to passing to court vision (altho she did shank several poor passes in the game vs. Spain), to movement without the ball, to solid defense (arms up, moving her feet, not her body to defend). She is supremely unselfish, which does nothing to pad her scoring stats in on a team like this. As an example, as good as Betts is, she (and the other post players) are mostly black holes. It makes zero difference if they are triple teamed and have zero shot - they take it (the shot) anyway, Azzi simply does not do that.

IMHO the things she needs to work on have to do with physicality and aggression. She is not strong playing physical defense or offense. She avoids contact. And she is not aggressive in looking for her shot. It's a mentality. It's quite possible that she is a little gun shy due to her past injury, but I can't say for sure.

She will need to get tougher. Opponents realized the only way to even slow Paige was to be physical with her, sometimes ridiculously overly physical. I'm certainly not advocating punching out an opponent, but I hope this season, with the tough players on UCONN, if someone is over the top with Paige or Azzi, that they get knocked right on their ass by Nika or Azzi or Evina.

I have zero tolerance for the type of play of ECU or UCF in the American, and Marquette was far to "pinball machine" for my taste this past season. Set a couple of body slamming screens, or knock someone clear off the court in the post, and that will send a message to knock that crap off. Some teams feel the best way to play UCONN (given they have less talent) is to beat the crap out of our players. I detest that.

Anyway I got a little off track. Azzi is mechanically one of the most advanced high school players I've ever seen. But she's also got a fair amount of room to grow. She's a hard worker with a tremendous team first attitude, and aside from getting "tougher", I can see Geno constantly yelling at her to "SHOOT MORE". Other than that, it's just growing like any college player will do under the best coaching there is. Can't wait to see her suit up!

Reaction Score
From what I have seen so far Azzi is doing a very good job of fitting in with the older guards who have one year of college under their belt. Johnson, Clark, and Pao Pao seem to me that they are passing to each other more and occasionally to Azzi. She isn't forcing her shots just to get some shots like others. The older guards won't even pass to the two girls who don't get much time on the floor when they do get in. I consider that a team no no. Azzi will get the ball on UConn and she will score and she will pass to others when she is covered. But Geno won't have to ask her to shoot. She is a shooter and a great one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Azzi is mechanically one of the most advanced high school players I've ever seen.
She’s also incredibly fit. Both of things together tell me that she is very committed to being the best possible player she can be. I suspect her transition to D1 basketball may be relatively smooth.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Azzi looks like a very respectful person, team player, and all around good kid. I give credit to her parents who seemed to bring her up in that manner. I believe she will always be that respectful player until Paige starts to get on her about being too unselfish. The question is who will be on her more, Paige or Geno. I believe it will be Paige based on her experience last year, and of course she will ensure that Azzi gets plenty of opportunities to show what she is capable of. I don't think Geno will have to worry about motivating Azzi with Paige around. Can't wait to see them in action together, its going to be awesome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom