Here Is a Preseason Bone to Gnaw | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Here Is a Preseason Bone to Gnaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Something to think about. For much of last season ND's two freshmen looked better than UCONN's Napheesa and Lou offensively. However, during the NCAA Tournament Napheesa and Lou looked very well prepared and played like it while ND's freshmen looked lost, scared, and nervous as did Baylor's number one player. It was obvious who had the better coaching for being prepared for the tournament. I believe they will be prepared again this year.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
images

Reaction Score
Also I'm not sold on Walz as a championship coach. He's great at recruiting guards, but where's "The Woman" at 3, 4 or 5? With their bigs Baylor can play a plodding inside, outside game and beat a defensively mediocre OSU or Louisville. 1) SC 2) Baylor 3) ND.

My take on WALZ---a nice guy, mostly, recruits pretty good, but he has not been able to make it all the way. It's not talent lacking. His biggest accomplishment was his first--he got Angel to play a bit more team ball and stop being a hot head.
I believe we are in agreement of Louisville. --if the stars align themselves correctly--it could be ND,UC, Baylor, SC, Depending on how many losses UC has, as April begins.

Maybe you haven't looked at what Walz has accomplished. Last season, after a dismal start, he finished 23-3 losing to N.D. by 5, Syracuse by 5 and DePaul by 1. He also coached his team to two N.C. games(2009, 2013)... but ran into UCONN both times. I believe he definitely has the ability to get this team to .F. And he seems to have the players to do it.

Reaction Score
Maybe you haven't looked at what Walz has accomplished. Last season, after a dismal start, he finished 23-3 losing to N.D. by 5, Syracuse by 5 and DePaul by 1. He also coached his team to two N.C. games(2009, 2013)... but ran into UCONN both times. I believe he definitely has the ability to get this team to .F. And he seems to have the players to do it.

You just defined what is missing in Walz coaching---He lost to ND by 5, Syracuse by 5, depaul by 1----he beat Baylor by Mauling Griner--
When Walz wins those games he lost by 5,5, 1 --maybe he'll be as good as you think. He's been up there knocking and lots have even expressed him as Geno's replacement--I don't think anyone thinks that any more. But this is an Opinion and you are entitled to YOUR's

Reaction Score
I'm so psyched for this year. The past 3 years at least, it's been more or less watching Geno on the bench watching his players just do their thing. Occasionally, he'd get up and yell, just to stay in shape. This year, we're going to see the old-new Geno: the old Geno who now again has to work really hard during the game (he always works hard in practice), but the new Geno because he's older (and wiser? he'll/we'll find that out) who may be able to bring a lot of other insights and experience to the challenges. And let's not forget the same is true of his staff; esp. his "aging with him" CD. What new tricks have they learned to pull this team together and keep them focused during the ups and downs of that incredibly brutal December schedule?

Bags--I liked your posting--It has been said, and I'm not sure how true this is, that Geno is first and foremost a teacher. It's true he loves to teach his kids the fundamentals (his way) and how to read defenses and how to play unforgiving defense--all that is true. But my opinion ONLY--he loves coaching kids who are eager to be coached--especially those with talent. His worst years, for him, wasn't losing (he hates to lose) it was the kids who showed up to practice every day, day after day, and learned or retained nothing!!
I seriously doubt he'll have any "low retainers" this season--I believe Molly and Crystal will be up front and sucking up every thing Geno throws at them--Kayla--knows this ritual inside and out--now it's the Gospel by Geno. Everyone else Geno knows what to expect from them. Do you want to see a very young Geno or Christine?? Give them a new group of learners!! That keeps them YOUNG..
Let's get it on""""!!!!

Reaction Score
Something to think about. For much of last season ND's two freshmen looked better than UCONN's Napheesa and Lou offensively. However, during the NCAA Tournament Napheesa and Lou looked very well prepared and played like it while ND's freshmen looked lost, scared, and nervous as did Baylor's number one player. It was obvious who had the better coaching for being prepared for the tournament. I believe they will be prepared again this year.

I didn't see much of Muffets frosh--she usually gives them exposure early --while Geno tries to bring his Frosh along more slowly--
Along with that --look who they played along side of the golden 3--even with that Collier , Gabby and Katie Lou shined brightly..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I seem to remember a year when SC was "the team to beat" and number 1 all year until a certain team (ranked #2) had their way with them and made all the ranking officials look stupid for trying to get another team to hold the #1 spot for a change. That super team will remain nameless...
:eek:
SC was never ranked #1 all year.
UCONN started the preseason #1 for the 2014-15 season. In week 1 of the Season UCONN was beaten by Stanford. In the Coaches Poll Stanford went to #1, ND was #2 and SC was #3, UCONN #4. In week five of the Season UCONN beat #1 ND putting SC at #1 in week 6 of the season. In week 13 of the season UCONN beat #1 SC. In summary SC was #1 for 6 weeks of the 2014-15 season which was 22 weeks in duration.

Reaction Score
You just defined what is missing in Walz coaching---He lost to ND by 5, Syracuse by 5, depaul by 1----he beat Baylor by Mauling Griner--
When Walz wins those games he lost by 5,5, 1 --maybe he'll be as good as you think. He's been up there knocking and lots have even expressed him as Geno's replacement--I don't think anyone thinks that any more. But this is an Opinion and you are entitled to YOUR's
I really don't understand why you are denying he has had success coaching Louisville. You seem to be implying that anything short of a National Championship and a coach hasn't been successful. Well, I guess that is your opinion.... sorry.... YOUR opinion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm just not convinced that you can take a bunch of talented role players and turn them into champs.

Um, those are some pretty accomplished "role players." Click on their names for more info:

2016-17 UConn Woman's Basketball Roster

10 Molly Bent 5-9 Guard FR/FR
51 Natalie Butler 6-5 Center SR/JR
32 Batouly Camara 6-2 Forward SO/SO
12 Saniya Chong 5-8 Guard SR/SR
24 Napheesa Collier 6-1 Forward SO/SO
5 Crystal Dangerfield 5-5 Guard FR/FR
25 Kyla Irwin 6-2 Forward FR/FR
20 Tierney Lawlor 5-7 Guard SR/SR
11 Kia Nurse 6-0 Guard JR/JR
33 Katie Lou Samuelson 6-3 Guard/Forward SO/SO
23 Azurá Stevens 6-6 Forward/Guard JR/JR *
15 Gabby Williams 5-11 Guard JR/JR
spacer.gif

Reaction Score
Louisville lost by 5,5,and 1,but if he had Maya Moore instead of Mariya Moore,or his player from N.Y.was Brianna Stewart instead of Bria Smith those deficits would have been 15-20 point victories.Waltz had Monique (Reid),Uconn had players who were unique,one of a kind for their time,and they were extremely talented and just refused to lose and Geno's gaudy won-loss record for the last 20 years is a reflection of great coaching ability and great players who carried out his agenda.Waltz is one of the few coaches in wcbb that i think could have come close to Geno's record with the same players.Jeff would have maybe 6-7 national championships by now.I don't think anyone but Geno could have won with Uconn's players in 2003 and 2004.Geno and Diana were special in those two years.Louisville is begining to pick up some players these days that are a little more talented so i would expect some pretty good results in the ensuing years.

Reaction Score
Also I'm not sold on Walz as a championship coach. He's great at recruiting guards, but where's "The Woman" at 3, 4 or 5? With their bigs Baylor can play a plodding inside, outside game and beat a defensively mediocre OSU or Louisville. 1) SC 2) Baylor 3) ND.

JordyG- - - Walz was the first Asst. coach under Ms. lockeroom Brenda Frese 2006 when MD won it's NC!
He was the main talker in timeout huddles and was considered by many as "the brains of the outfit"!
He left after for the L'ville job and has had them highly competitive since.
Whether he can reach the brass ring only time will tell!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I seem to remember that when Sue Bird, et alia, the other greats left, there was Diana Taurasi and some other fine players. I think that they won 2 championships in a row.

I would say this coming season is more akin to the '05 season, after D graduated -- a lot of very good players but not necessarily one that is the best player in the country.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

Hmmm, from an outsider, I would say they played early but didn't learn to play defense and did not have a positive assist to turnover ratio, their early play didn't pay off when it was needed in the tournament. Madison Cable was huge for ND on both ends and one of the best 3 shooters in the nation and will be royally missed. Michaela Mabrey was solid with the best range to keep the D honest, knew NDs offense and had a good assist to turnover ratio, Huffman was their smart, scrappy defensive hustler. 3 ingredients that are hard to replace, and none was able to do that last year.

Reaction Score
If you were watching closely, Lou surpassed Napheesa by a mile. She not only started hitting 3s at a much better rate, she was driving to the basket, stopping and pulling up for a 2, passing the ball as well as anybody on the team, and playing much stronger on D. Throw in her rebounding, and a stronger Lou will average 18-20 a game. Did I mention she can shoot free throws. Also, I trust Gabby more than Napheesa. Gabby started the championship game, not Napheesa. Napheesa will be great, but you overlooked other players who deserve the recognition.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If you were watching closely, Lou surpassed Napheesa by a mile. She not only started hitting 3s at a much better rate, she was driving to the basket, stopping and pulling up for a 2, passing the ball as well as anybody on the team, and playing much stronger on D. Throw in her rebounding, and a stronger Lou will average 18-20 a game. Did I mention she can shoot free throws. Also, I trust Gabby more than Napheesa. Gabby started the championship game, not Napheesa. Napheesa will be great, but you overlooked other players who deserve the recognition.
To what post are you replying?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was watching very closely, close enough to know that Napheesa out rebounded KLS by a ton last year and shot the ball from the free throw line best of any Husky. Gabby should be more trusted that Napheesa -Gabby is a year ahead. KLS improved her defense drastically during the season but from start to finish no returning Husky played better defense that Napheesa and Gabby. All three will be required to do more this year and they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom