Here Is a Preseason Bone to Gnaw | The Boneyard

Here Is a Preseason Bone to Gnaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of those "way too early" rankings. This from Kenny Kallina; Has SC, Ohio, Louisville and Baylor as top four, with UConn at 5 and Notre Dame at 6. States forUConn:

UConn– Losing one of the greatest groups of all time including possibly one of the best college basketball players ever in Breanna Stewart is a set back for any program. For UConn who will the next star be? In 2016 they had a good recruiting class but not star studded with Top 20 talent. Look for a lot to be expected out ofKia Nurse,Napheesa Collier, andKatie Lou Samuelsonand their growth from last year to this year will determine which direction this season goes for the Huskies. Dancing at the Final Four for this group will be one of Geno’s greater accomplishments as a coach.

@KallinaScouting 2Early NCAA Top 25

Check it out. Tear it apart? Laud his sagacity or ...?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Me thinks this is a sensational start to the gnawing!
Louisville has yet to even make the ACC tournament final let alone win the ACC. And now they're the best challenge to UConn? I think Lousiville should be worrying about FSU, Syracuse, and Notre Dame before they turn their sights on UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The gnawing continues.
Great question FF, I'm not at all sold on Kevin McGuff as a coach, but the transfers are all there this season and practicing so I don't see it as much of an issue. Shayla Cooper's transition and incorporation was pretty seemless. The type of young women Mavunga, Calhoun, and Holland appear to be I don't see any problems with them. If Coach McGuff can get his team to commit to the defensive end of the floor I believe they may be able to make some noise. Many people in WCBB are licking their proverbial chops in anticipation of UConn having a down season, what team wouldn't after graduating 3 first-team AA's with 4 consecutive Nattys(yes I believe Morgan will leave after this season, there are only so many games left in her knees) Geno will have a surprise ready for the nation and sourpuss Kim Mulkey, who's perpetually angry at the world for some reason will be sorry she signed that two-year deal.
I don't have high hopes for OSU as long as your best player is ONLY concerned about HER SHOTS and that attitude is reinforced by an assistant coach-HER FATHER!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Interesting that Tennessee is not even in the top-25; probably correct.

I think Kenny's analysis is probably pretty close, though I like Baylor with all their new talent and savvy.

I can't get a handle on UConn, this season...I'm sure they'll be entertaining.
I'm just not convinced that you can take a bunch of talented role players and turn them into champs.
Watch out for the kiddie-corps though...they may turn into something special...all of them

I'm most confident in Kia and Pheesa, less so in the rest...though if KLS turns into a superstar this season, that will go a long way
towards a final-4 berth.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One of those "way too early" rankings. This from Kenny Kallina; Has SC, Ohio, Louisville and Baylor as top four, with UConn at 5 and Notre Dame at 6. States forUConn:

UConn– Losing one of the greatest groups of all time including possibly one of the best college basketball players ever in Breanna Stewart is a set back for any program. For UConn who will the next star be? In 2016 they had a good recruiting class but not star studded with Top 20 talent. Look for a lot to be expected out ofKia Nurse,Napheesa Collier, andKatie Lou Samuelsonand their growth from last year to this year will determine which direction this season goes for the Huskies. Dancing at the Final Four for this group will be one of Geno’s greater accomplishments as a coach.

Why is it way too early?
It's a pre-season ranking

Isn't it the pre-season? :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
From the thread title, I thought that there was going to be some juicy and probably unflattering news or opinions about Kelsey.

Reaction Score
I'm so psyched for this year. The past 3 years at least, it's been more or less watching Geno on the bench watching his players just do their thing. Occasionally, he'd get up and yell, just to stay in shape. This year, we're going to see the old-new Geno: the old Geno who now again has to work really hard during the game (he always works hard in practice), but the new Geno because he's older (and wiser? he'll/we'll find that out) who may be able to bring a lot of other insights and experience to the challenges. And let's not forget the same is true of his staff; esp. his "aging with him" CD. What new tricks have they learned to pull this team together and keep them focused during the ups and downs of that incredibly brutal December schedule?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Although I don't have much love for TN, their omission from top 25 Pre-season is not justified.
Other major inconsistencies DePaul's omission vs. inclusion of Seton Hall. Wake Forest???????
I think this poll has been properly Boneyard trashed before in a different thread.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen much love for South Carolina here on the BY but in my opium they are the team to beat this year. I am hoping that the Huskies can shock every one but we have a lot of work ahead of us. I'll be rooting for our girls and can't wait for the season to get here.

Reaction Score

Some interesting verbiage in the Kallina Scouting --- I don't see ND down at 6 not with the talent they have. Louisville should trade place with Baylor. I liked the slant on UConn --Geno lost three of the very best--losing top stars is a UConn tradition--the question was asked :
Who will step up to be the next star--the Scouting stated who that shall be--Katie Lou, Collier, Kia--add Gabby and Crystal--throw in Kayla, Butler, Bent, Chong --5 at the beginning of the year isn't bad--ONE at the end of the year is better.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen much love for South Carolina here on the BY but in my opium they are the team to beat this year. I am hoping that the Huskies can shock every one but we have a lot of work ahead of us. I'll be rooting for our girls and can't wait for the season to get here.
USC--could be the team to beat--they are loaded---but you could have said that these last 3 years--talent isn't ALWAYS the secret to success. If Dawn learned anything from Geno these past 3 or so years with USA--the number one spot may be right--if Dawn didn't take those assistant job as a learning experience--they may be ranked too high. it all comes down to Dawn..

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The gnawing continues.

I don't have high hopes for OSU as long as your best player is ONLY concerned about HER SHOTS and that attitude is reinforced by an assistant coach-HER FATHER!
Also I'm not sold on Walz as a championship coach. He's great at recruiting guards, but where's "The Woman" at 3, 4 or 5? With their bigs Baylor can play a plodding inside, outside game and beat a defensively mediocre OSU or Louisville. 1) SC 2) Baylor 3) ND.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Some interesting verbiage in the Kallina Scouting --- I don't see ND down at 6 not with the talent they have. Louisville should trade place with Baylor. I liked the slant on UConn --Geno lost three of the very best--losing top stars is a UConn tradition--the question was asked :
Who will step up to be the next star--the Scouting stated who that shall be--Katie Lou, Collier, Kia--add Gabby and Crystal--throw in Kayla, Butler, Bent, Chong --5 at the beginning of the year isn't bad--ONE at the end of the year is better.
Kallina's breakdown of UConn's season is exactly what I've said consistently: That making the FF this year for Geno will be one of his greatest accomplishments as a coach.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember that when Sue Bird, et alia, the other greats left, there was Diana Taurasi and some other fine players. I think that they won 2 championships in a row.

For most of the past 20 or so years Geno has RELOADED after losing great players--sometimes he reloaded with dud's--others were magnums. There isn't dud in the whole Uconn squad this year.

Reaction Score
Also I'm not sold on Walz as a championship coach. He's great at recruiting guards, but where's "The Woman" at 3, 4 or 5? With their bigs Baylor can play a plodding inside, outside game and beat a defensively mediocre OSU or Louisville. 1) SC 2) Baylor 3) ND.
My take on WALZ---a nice guy, mostly, recruits pretty good, but he has not been able to make it all the way. It's not talent lacking. His biggest accomplishment was his first--he got Angel to play a bit more team ball and stop being a hot head.
I believe we are in agreement of Louisville. --if the stars align themselves correctly--it could be ND,UC, Baylor, SC, Depending on how many losses UC has, as April begins.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

We play better without the hype. I hope we're not ranked #1 or #2 to start the season.

Our starting five will be "better" than just about every team we play this season... but SC's overall talent is no better than Baylor, ND, UCONN, Louisville, Ohio State etc..

SC definitely has a championship caliber team this season but a lot has to go right for us. Bianca (or Ty) need to be ready to play at point guard... growing pains are expected but we must get production at PG. Gray needs to prove she's the same player she was at UNC, except be even better because she's now a junior. Davis needs to prove she can play on a team where she's not the only talented player.. we want Davis to score but she needs to know when to set Wilson, Gray, Coates etc up to score as well. Coates needs to show she can do more than putbacks.. show your moves, hit the hook shots and short jumpers. Wilson needs to lead and be Wilson... its her time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Davis needs to prove she can play on a team where she's not the only talented player.. we want Davis to score but she needs to know when to set Wilson, Gray, Coates etc up to score as well. Coates needs to show she can do more than putbacks.. show your moves, hit the hook shots and short jumpers. Wilson needs to lead and be Wilson... its her time.
My prior opinions agree with yours on Coates & Davis-Much luck to Dawn with both she is going to need it.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score

I seem to remember a year when SC was "the team to beat" and number 1 all year until a certain team (ranked #2) had their way with them and made all the ranking officials look stupid for trying to get another team to hold the #1 spot for a change. That super team will remain nameless...
:eek:

Reaction Score
Hmmm...not bad, but I really can't see ND on the outside looking in.
  • USC - If anyone has an "in" on the preseason #1 it is South Carolina with their interior presence and guards, but they have plenty of unknowns with their transfers, as they have to find a way to replace Mitchell, who has been the centerpiece of their offense for the past three seasons. Coates' physical conditioning will be an important factor.
  • Ohio State - Kelsey Mitchell may be the best individual contributor on offense in WBBall, but I cannot call her the best player; I have never seen her shut down another team's top player defensively. The team has yet to show that they can win a game against a top team without Mitchell, which could be a glaring weak spot. Transfers are a big question mark. Because of these, I have to question them being included in the Top 4 (but not the Top 10).
  • Louisville I have as a dark horse for the Final Four (along with Ohio State). Not a preseason Top 4 team. The ACC championship final could be one of the best games of the year, as I expect it will come down to Louisville and ND.
  • Baylor belongs in the preseason Top 4, but not behind Ohio State and Louisville. A lot depends on how quickly Cox can adapt to the College game.
I would go with USC, Baylor, ND as the top three, followed by UConn, Louisville and Ohio State. Louisville has more questions than Ohio State, but they also have Walz, who I consider to be one of the top head coaches in WBBall.

November 17 will either go a long way towards solidifying the Top 5 or smash it to pieces.

Reaction Score
I believe that ND has the enviable combination of the most talented team in the country and the second best coach in the game. This really should be their year, at long last, to win it all. Having said that, however, there is one very big caveat where they're concerned: Because they are challenged in height, they must hope for a heretofore unrealized dream...keeping Turner healthy and on the court for a full season. I do not know what the current status of her fragile shoulder is, or whether or not it is realistic to expect her to be at, and remain at, full strength. I agree with those who anticipate Baylor and SC to round out the top three. Any of those, however, better get it done this year, because 2018 is shaping up to be a return-to-the-winners'-circle year for the program in Storrs.

JordyG

Reaction Score
My take on WALZ---a nice guy, mostly, recruits pretty good, but he has not been able to make it all the way. It's not talent lacking. His biggest accomplishment was his first--he got Angel to play a bit more team ball and stop being a hot head.
I believe we are in agreement of Louisville. --if the stars align themselves correctly--it could be ND,UC, Baylor, SC, Depending on how many losses UC has, as April begins.
My view on Walz is the same as Mulkey. Two of the best recruiters in WCBB, but something happens once The Music begins. Muffet on the other hand strikes me as the #2 coach in WCBB. Bill Walsh used to say "You have coaches and you have gym teachers". Muffet is a coach.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No doubt the hoopla has disregarded UConn for the upcoming season. Storrs has remained unperturbed. But when the season starts:

What a way to "kill" (pun intended) off the hopes and dreams of other teams right at the start!!. I love it. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom