Here is a good goal for Kentan Facey if he can put on some weight | The Boneyard

Here is a good goal for Kentan Facey if he can put on some weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There's no doubt Facey can jump out the gym. He has the physical tools to be a good player, just needs refinement in his game. I hope the staff doesn't stash him just because we have Enoch.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Faceys rebounding can be a great help for this team this season, now a little offence can go along ways. I think facey surprises this year and sees the floor more then one would think with miller on board now.

Reaction Score
I'm still a Facey fan and choose to remember the first 15 games as opposed to the last 15. In those early games he showed he was our best rebounder and finisher around the hoop. He did have 14-9 against Duke, 10-8 against WVU, was playing major minutes and was arguably our best big. There were many clamoring here for him to get way more post-up ops and opportunities on the offensive end.

He doesn't have to totally revamp his body, just add some strength and perhaps most importantly just continue to develop the mental side of his game. His defensive lapses fueled confidence issues that essentially rendered him more or less useless by the end of the year. But he can play and will be a factor this season.

Reaction Score
His defense killed him. Not a good hedger, never knew when to switch and rarely was in the right spot. He was really bad on help defense, sometimes caught with his back to the play opposite side where he was the guy who should have stepped in. For Kentan, much like Amida, improvement comes from being better at knowing where to be and when. More mental than physical from what I saw.

Reaction Score
If you want to see how 40 pounds of muscle can be overrated, look at Nolan.

That said, I'm hoping that Nolan plays like he is used to that body this year.

Reaction Score
He's a junior and he certainly knows what it takes to win a Championship. With that said the improvement is all on him. We as fans can hope and speculate, but he controls his fate. All we can do is cheer him on, whatever happens. Ollie has brought in a 'security blanket' at his position, not for lack of confidence but knowing the team's need. Facey can prove to Coach that the move was overkill by making the leap. I also have to imagine that Freeman is whispering good things in his ears.

The bottom line is glowing practice reports are meaningless at his stage, he either has it or he doesn't. The one thing that can't be argued is that he has the potential and is a Div 1 player.

Now he just has to get it done.

We will see.

Reaction Score
I actually like this comparison a lot. Defensively if Facey can be half the player that Atkins is/was that would be huge for us. Atkins was exclusively a low post scorer, whereas Facey has a much better shot so he has the ability to extend his offense and be more productive than Atkins. It took Atkins all 4 years to get there and I expect it will take the same time for Facey

UVA is really going to miss Atkins this year unless Gill continues to play well on both ends. We'll probably be near the top of the league again, but only since it will be a down year for most of the ACC

Reaction Score
It's funny because the video of him nailing 20 3's indicates that he was enough of a shooter to step out for 17 footers and closer easily, but he didn't show it. Maybe he is nervous in game situations as some players can be but unless he produces his PT is very threatened based on what Miller is supposed to be able to do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I'm hoping that he is healthy and thus more effective this year. He literally could not elevate at all last year.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Always remember that he shot 100% from behind the 3pt line for the season last year!

Reaction Score
His defense killed him. Not a good hedger, never knew when to switch and rarely was in the right spot. He was really bad on help defense, sometimes caught with his back to the play opposite side where he was the guy who should have stepped in. For Kentan, much like Amida, improvement comes from being better at knowing where to be and when. More mental than physical from what I saw.
That's the biggest problem with raw talent kids that haven't played very long... it takes a LOT of actual playing to understand who/what/when/where/and how out there. Hoping the staff can work a few miracles. Nothing would do more to make me smile like another NC.

Reaction Score
That's the biggest problem with raw talent kids that haven't played very long... it takes a LOT of actual playing to understand who/what/when/where/and how out there. Hoping the staff can work a few miracles. Nothing would do more to make me smile like another NC.

Look for Shonn "Big Lanky Einstein" Miller to orchestrate and create a Picasso on the back line with his communication skillz. This will carry over to Kentan/AB as they will absorb this vast knowledge like 2 ready, willing and able sponges. Mau is gonna be shocked like the world was when UConn beat Duke in 1999 as 9 pt dogs.

Miller the Maesto will help create the sweet team defensive music UConn fans crave. Our team IQ needed an upgrade. Mr. "Big Lanky" Miller is the answer. Kentan the pupil takes the next step with the professor and then takes off in his senior year to greatness. :)

Reaction Score
He's got 30 pounds on Facey. No idea what weight he came in to college with, but it would be extremely abnormal for a kid who is done growing to just throw on 30 pounds and keep that physique in a matter of a couple years.

You're also not considering genetics and response to training. These kinds of prospective comparisons when it comes to bodies and building muscle are always pointless. As is saying "if he gains weight" like it's something that anyone can and should do. Professional bodybuilders on all types of , doing nothing but specific weight training designed for gaining muscle mass, don't put on weight like some of you guys evidently think these kids can.

Reaction Score

Phil put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and 25-30 pounds of fat.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Rail thin young men can put on muscle, but it takes work and good eating habits (I saw many examples of this among Marines during our recent 7 month deployment). If KF works hard, he certainly can put on 15 lbs. of muscle and be much more effective.

Reaction Score
So KF isn't working hard if he doesn't put on 15lbs of muscle a year.

Just wow.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
That is not what I wrote.
But if he is no stronger and has not added muscle by October, then at that point, he did not put in the work.

Reaction Score
That is not what I wrote.
But if he is no stronger and has not added muscle by October, then at that point, he did not put in the work.
Actually now you're backpedalling because first you specified 15 pounds of muscle, which, realistically speaking, would be at least 40 total pounds when we're talking about the time frame we're discussing.

Reaction Score
James Webb III and Facey have pretty much the same height and weight. J. Webb III will be the most underrated player in college basketball this year with off the charts upside. If Facey can just tap into some of the James Webb III upside it will be huge for UConn.

Reaction Score
What were you looking at? dude's not fat. You can hate him but calling him "fat" is ignorant.
What are you reading? Dude didn't say he was "fat;" that he gained X amount of fat, which is a given to happen when you put on muscle.

Reaction Score
I just saw Facey in South dining hall yesterday and his arms definitely looked a lot bigger. He also looks taller than 6'9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom