Herbst to give state of university address on Thurs...last yr, no mention of CR | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst to give state of university address on Thurs...last yr, no mention of CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks Rumrunner. That was a comprehensive summary. Good job.

Reaction Score
She might have mentioned JC and Pasqualoni. She talked so fast it was hard to write everything down. I was doing a little jig when she mentioned CR so I might have missed a Calhoun and Pasqualoni reference. It was the last few minutes of her speech.

I will say this, there is no doubt in my mind that she gets the importance of realignment. I really feel UConn hit a grand slam with her hire, that she #bleedsblue, and she is infinitely more qualified and knowledgeable about how to navigate UConn to greater things than us yokels on a message board.

I'm more content to let things play out and to exercise that patience she's asked of us now than at any time since cuse and pitt bolted.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
She might have mentioned JC and Pasqualoni. She talked so fast it was hard to write everything down. I was doing a little jig when she mentioned CR so I might have missed a Calhoun and Pasqualoni reference. It was the last few minutes of her speech.

I will say this, there is no doubt in my mind that she gets the importance of realignment. I really feel UConn hit a grand slam with her hire, that she #bleedsblue, and she is infinitely more qualified and knowledgeable about how to navigate UConn to greater things than us yokels on a message board.

I'm more content to let things play out and to exercise that patience she's asked of us now than at any time since cuse and pitt bolted.

Reaction Score
She mentioned Pasqualoni. I just watched the stream of the speech. Forget Manuel, she's the rock star.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Call it simple feel-good publicity, but never forget that an army marches on its stomach, and right now for UConn fans, the only food available to us is hope.

Nice line.

Reaction Score

to save everyone from reading 24 pages.........

"We also face challenges when it comes to Athletics, as conference re-alignment continues. It won’t be settled for a very long time, so have patience. But at the end of the day, our conference matters less than our student-athletes and our fans. Our students need to do well in the classroom, and win games. But, and maybe I’m one of the last university presidents to believe this deeply, I just really want them to have fun and be good people. I count my blessings daily for our amazing coaches – Geno, Kevin Ollie, Ray Reid, Jim Penders, Paul Pasquoloni – they are such great ambassadors for UConn."

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Count Dracula, ambassador to the nation of smug CT HS football coaches.

Yokel out.

Reaction Score
to save everyone from reading 24 pages.........

"We also face challenges when it comes to Athletics, as conference re-alignment continues. It won’t be settled for a very long time, so have patience. But at the end of the day, our conference matters less than our student-athletes and our fans. Our students need to do well in the classroom, and win games. But, and maybe I’m one of the last university presidents to believe this deeply, I just really want them to have fun and be good people. I count my blessings daily for our amazing coaches – Geno, Kevin Ollie, Ray Reid, Jim Penders, Paul Pasquoloni – they are such great ambassadors for UConn."

Lot of wisdom in that statement. At the end of the day, I'm not sure I like where big-time college athletics is going. And her assessment as to what universities should be most concerned about is pretty much dead on in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Yeah i get this. I just don't know what people expect her to say. Does she come out and say our current conference is unacceptable? That would alienate the current schools in our conference. She is literally in a no win situation here.

There are two things I wish she did different. Hire a mover and shaker as an AD, and not give the impression of passivity when the ACC picked Louisville.

Scooter, your right as president of the school its her job to elevate academics. Not disagreeing there.

"not give the impression of passivity when the ACC picked Louisville. "

I would hope that one of the "lessons-learned" during/after the first raid was that law-suits, name calling, etc. leave bridge trolls like Shalala and whack-jobs like Flipper alienated and unlikely to provide a positive reference. As far as what SH and WM did leading up to the Louisville selection, we'll never know; unless one of the two writes a "tell-all."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom