Herbst Elected Chairman Of American Board of Directors | The Boneyard

Herbst Elected Chairman Of American Board of Directors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

"UConn president will serve a two-year term in this important role.
May 29, 2015 MIAMI - University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst was elected Chairman of the Board of Directors of the American Athletic Conference as the league concluded its annual meetings on Friday.

Herbst succeeds SMU President Dr. Gerald Turner in the position while Tulsa President Dr. Steadman Upham was elected Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors. Herbst and Upham will each serve a two-year term through the end of the 2016-17 academic year."

Seems like a good thing, but I'm a bit ambivalent about this.
We're in the AAC for at least 2 more years...

Reaction Score
this and aac tourney in Hartford seems like they are trying to keep us from walking away

Reaction Score
Good info from Skiblets at the Spring Game. Hopefully he doesn't have a penny stock newsletter. That must be ugly.

Reaction Score
And replace him with who? Id be interested to know who people think could do a better job. And, "anyone", is not a legitimate answer. I'd really like to know who people think would have provided the conference with a more preferable outcome.
How about anyone who wouldn't have added Tulane?

The guy was dealt the worst hand in the deck, which made him almost immune from criticism. But he is simply that bad at his job.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
How about anyone who wouldn't have added Tulane?

The guy was dealt the worst hand in the deck, which made him almost immune from criticism. But he is simply that bad at his job.
Again, who would you suggest that would be better? He was one of the top sports programming professionals in the country and we were a league who needed a ton of help with our TV contract. I think we all agree he had virtually nothing to work with in the first round of negotiations and, in my opinion, can't be fairly judged until the next round of negotiations. If he can't provide something demonstratively better next time, then it will be fare to skewer him.

Reaction Score
this and aac tourney in Hartford seems like they are trying to keep us from walking away
They can't keep us from walking away once we actually get an invite. But maybe they are rewarding us for being a good soldier and shutting our mouths over the past year or so unlike Cincy who bragged about bringing in someone who would get them the hell out of the AAC

Reaction Score

When I was younger I was fooled by getting a nice sounding title at work with a insignificant raise. Learned quickly I'd rather have the dollars.

Reaction Score
Good info from Skiblets at the Spring Game. Hopefully he doesn't have a penny stock newsletter. That must be ugly.

Let me tell you who presided over the BE in 2003-2004: BC.

Let me tell you who presided over the BE in 2010-2012: Pitt.

Now, I'm not sure who presided in 2013 when Louisville left. Probably Georgetown, if I recall correctly. But one thing is for sure, usually, the head of the board is making side deals (which leads to lawsuits).

Reaction Score

"UConn president will serve a two-year term in this important role.
May 29, 2015 MIAMI - University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst was elected Chairman of the Board of Directors of the American Athletic Conference as the league concluded its annual meetings on Friday.

Herbst succeeds SMU President Dr. Gerald Turner in the position while Tulsa President Dr. Steadman Upham was elected Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors. Herbst and Upham will each serve a two-year term through the end of the 2016-17 academic year."

Seems like a good thing, but I'm a bit ambivalent about this.
If it's only two years that will be a miracle.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
And replace him with who? Id be interested to know who people think could do a better job. And, "anyone", is not a legitimate answer. I'd really like to know who people think would have provided the conference with a more preferable outcome.

Aresco is an "industry" guy - he sold out the conference to make sure he can still work in TV later. This guy got all of UConn sports what our T3 women's deal used to get. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge this is missing the point.

Moreover,and let this sink in, in the year UCONN won two national championships Aresco made as much TV money as UConn.

Reaction Score
WestHartHusk said:
Aresco is an "industry" guy - he sold out the conference to make sure he can still work in TV later. This guy got all of UConn sports what our T3 women's deal used to get. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge this is missing the point. Moreover,and let this sink in, in the year UCONN won two national championships Aresco made as much TV money as UConn.

That's disturbing but I'm not sure there were options. He had to shake down NBC for big money and he was selling Tulane and Tulsa. It may be more of an issue that UConn couldn't/didn't negotiate a better deal for itself like Boise did in the MWC. We aren't being paid equitably and if we stay here, we need to get paid what we are worth in relation to the other schools. Winning football games will really strengthen our position within the AAC. We are the alpha dog financially but we need to bring eyeballs to football broadcasts to really display our huge total value. We also dropped the ball on fighting for more revenue within the conference distribution formula because our eyes were on the exit fee pot at that point. With that about to run out, we'll need to get tougher on distribution if we have the clout to do so. Susan really needs to dig into our value within a media deal in her chair role.

Reaction Score
What would you have done differently?

Realistically, I would have focused on getting brand name programs that would have been more appealing to viewers, rather than going after larger markets, but I can't be sure that his approach isn't better in the long-term.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Realistically, I would have focused on getting brand name programs that would have been more appealing to viewers, rather than going after larger markets, but I can't be sure that his approach isn't better in the long-term.

After Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, West Virginia, Rutgers, Providence, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Notre Dame, St. John's, DePaul, Seton Hall, TCU, Boise State, Brigham Young, San Diego State and Air Force left or refused an invitation, your options would have been fairly limited as to "brand name programs" who would have been willing to commit to the AAC.

Which ones did you have your eye on?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
What would you have done differently?

Not advocated for Tulane and Tulsa to join the conference and not put T3 rights into the package.

Reaction Score
I would have probably taken La Tech instead of Tulane, and I would have taken Marshall. Basketball sucks, but Marshall football is a nationally-recognized brand.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I've seen comments similar to this on each of the threads about Herbst chairing the conference and I'm a bit confused:

Are there people here who truly believed that the upcoming football/basketball/baseball season was to be our last in this conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom