Herbst didn't beg them to stay | The Boneyard

Herbst didn't beg them to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
An interesting question is: why did ESPN lie about something like that?

I'm not into the conspiracy theories, but that seems like a weird thing to be misinformed about.

Reaction Score
Well, at least we have our pride, I guess. Can we play our pride in a bowl game?

caw

Reaction Score
Well there are three ways to look at this:

ESPN lied because they want to devalue UConn.

Herbst/whoever talked to Duffy lied to protect UConn's rep a bit.

Someone lied to ESPN to boost the Catholics image.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, at least we have our pride, I guess. Can we play our pride in a bowl game?

The CT Pride...that is a team right?

Reaction Score
It likely wasn't ESPN doing the lieing, it was a president/source at one of the bball schools.

Reaction Score
An interesting question is: why did ESPN lie about something like that?

I'm not into the conspiracy theories, but that seems like a weird thing to be misinformed about.

ESPN didn't lie - McMurphy, Katz and Dana O'Neil chose the word for dramatic effect late last night...

41577_361438940298_5956695_n.jpg

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
espn....loves all of u blind fools....

The funny thing is that there are still people adamant that we are crazy about the past activities and present intentions of "the worldwide leader"...:eek:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think we might just win. There were a couple of times this year that our pride just didn't show up.

Reaction Score
Well there are three ways to look at this:

ESPN lied because they want to devalue UConn.

Herbst/whoever talked to Duffy lied to protect UConn's rep a bit.

Someone lied to ESPN to boost the Catholics image.
Well at least this is something. I'm not sure what, but it beats the alternative.

Jeff Jacobs@jacobscourant
UConn: ESPN report that Susan Herbst was pleading with 7 Catholic schools to stay in league is untrue.

Nice. Now I can go back to holding onto comments by random internet personalities named "RULookinatme" and "burdseye" that we might get into the B1G. This is not sarcastic, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
It likely wasn't ESPN doing the lieing, it was a president/source at one of the bball schools.

Makes more sense that it would have been one of the Catholic schools (probably Providence, since they see themselves as the owner of the Big East brand).

caw

Reaction Score
The funny thing is that there are still people adamant that we are crazy about the past activities and present intentions of "the worldwide leader"...:eek:

Their intentions are to make money. Somehow they figure the state university where they are headquartered doesn't bring much to the table. I find that perplexing at the least.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Their intentions are to make money. Somehow they figure the state university where they are headquartered doesn't bring much to the table. I find that perplexing at the least.

Absolutely right on their intentions. But I don't believe that they think we don't bring much to the table. They are simply interested primarily in our basketball.

As for how this benefits ESPN monetarily, they weren't going to get our conference on the cheap during the exclusive negotiation window. But they don't really care about our football anyways. They wanted our basketball, and this is a way to obtain it. Don't be surprised if ESPN is the company that carries the rights to the C-7 after it's all said and done, for a bargain price...

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Absolutely right on their intentions. But I don't believe that they think we don't bring much to the table. They are simply interested primarily in our basketball.

As for how this benefits ESPN monetarily, they weren't going to get our conference on the cheap during the exclusive negotiation window. But they don't really care about our football anyways. They wanted our basketball, and this is a way to obtain it. Don't be surprised if ESPN is the company that carries the rights to the C-7 after it's all said and done, for a bargain price...
Exactly the C7 schools wouldn't split based entirely on the crappy Big East offers they saw. Someone had to present them with a counter offer that would make them think breaking up the Big East was a smart play.

Reaction Score
Exactly the C7 schools wouldn't split based entirely on the crappy Big East offers they saw. Someone had to present them with a counter offer that would make them think breaking up the Big East was a smart play.

Disagree. They see the hand writing on the wall that all of the football schools would leave in a nanosecond and with Louisville and Rutgers leaving, they are in the most powerful position they will ever be in to dissolve the league. Aresco has advised them on the TV money and they will probably get somewhat less than what they would have gotten IF the BE held together, but not enough to make a difference. In addition, no trips to Texas, Florida, Louisiana. Plus, if you are the President of one of the C7, aren't you sick of meeting on BE additions/departures? The break up will finally brings stability to the C7.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Disagree. They see the hand writing on the wall that all of the football schools would leave in a nanosecond and with Louisville and Rutgers leaving, they are in the most powerful position they will ever be in to dissolve the league. Aresco has advised them on the TV money and they will probably get somewhat less than what they would have gotten IF the BE held together, but not enough to make a difference. In addition, no trips to Texas, Florida, Louisiana. Plus, if you are the President of one of the C7, aren't you sick of meeting on BE additions/departures? The break up will finally brings stability to the C7.

They wouldn't do it without having some idea what kind of money they were talking about. These schools aren't going to be leaving for A-10 money. Stability doesn't buy you crap. They got a counter offer. These people are all conservative as hell. Someone showed them a powerpoint with some $$$ in it.

Reaction Score
i'm shocked that a catholic school president/ad would mischaracterize sh's informational phone calls re the future of the conference.

just like some catholic school president/ad said to espn-andy katz, mcmurphy, or oneil, that the catholics were upset about how UConn publically acted after the louisville invite. that lying, uninformed president/ad possessed less knowledge of what uconn did or didn't do publically than us. uconn did nothing publically. but the cretin assumed thru the din of cincy emails, stadium upgrade, coaching search, president ono's comments, that uconn was doing something too. that president/ad is a lying, baldface, uninformed jackazz. espn likewise reported it as truth, so mcmurphy reported falsehoods.

and now they get caught in another lie.

Reaction Score
They wouldn't do it without having some idea what kind of money they were talking about. These schools aren't going to be leaving for A-10 money. Stability doesn't buy you crap. They got a counter offer. These people are all conservative as hell. Someone showed them a powerpoint with some $$$ in it.

Aresco is more than capable of telling the C7 their media worth in the existing format or in a new conference. He has been advising them and met with them last Sunday on this. The range of outcomes for the C7 is not very wide: $1 mill to $3 mill per year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Aresco is more than capable of telling the C7 their media worth in the existing format or in a new conference. He has been advising them and met with them last Sunday on this. The range of outcomes for the C7 is not very wide: $1 mill to $3 mill per year.

Exactly. It is already reported as around $2M+. Which is more than the $1.6 they were looking at. A Big East AD also was quoted as saying that the NCAA unit money was worth more than the league money anyway. So a league with more teams in the tournament, and going deeper in the tournament, will earn them more money. That's why they don't want Tulane, or SMU, or CFU...and would love to be rid of SFU as well.

Reaction Score
Exactly. It is already reported as around $2M+. Which is more than the $1.6 they were looking at. A Big East AD also was quoted as saying that the NCAA unit money was worth more than the league money anyway. So a league with more teams in the tournament, and going deeper in the tournament, will earn them more money. That's why they don't want Tulane, or SMU, or CFU...and would love to be rid of SFU as well.

These jokers have been living off of UConn's credits for eons now.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
They also were told that the Big East contract would be worth a lot of money... now it's not. I doubt they're disolving the league without a serious offer and hard numbers. If they are... then I wouldn't be shocked if the contract they get offered suddenly is a lot less than what Aresco told them. That's not stability either. I'm not giving my boss my resignation without a place to land.

I might tell him that I have another offer though if I want a raise. I still thing there's a chance we're looking at the C7 posturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom