Herbst Blasts Proposal To Turn UConn Into "Entrepreneurship University" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst Blasts Proposal To Turn UConn Into "Entrepreneurship University"

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The campus does not have to moved to Hartford. Just run 384 right into the campus in Storrs. That would provide the same level of of connection.

And every construction company in Connecticut would lobby for it.

Yeah and we are going to expand "suicide 6" while we are at it for a direct road to Providence.

freakin' nimbys. Worst thing about CT.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Agreed, this would give the school much more flexibility in construction projects and area developments.

It's not unprecedented. We all know Mississippi State is located in Starkville, MS.

However, the school and surrounding area is technically located in a town called "Mississippi State University, MS" for this very reason.

Wow I had no idea about Miss St.

Thanks for the new knowledge.

Seems that would be the best solution.

Reaction Score
Wow I had no idea about Miss St.

Thanks for the new knowledge.

Seems that would be the best solution.

I think an administrative divorce between the school and the local village idiots may be in the best interest for everyone involved.

the Q

Reaction Score
I think an administrative divorce between the school and the local village idiots may be in the best interest for everyone involved.

What type of impacts would this have on Mansfield?

Both positive and negative?

Reaction Score
What type of impacts would this have on Mansfield?

Both positive and negative?

Not really sure what impact it would have Mansfield, though I'd guess quite a few people would probably like not having to deal with "UConn things" anymore which I imagine is quite an administrative and time consuming headache for such a small municipality.

However, this is really about what's best for UConn. The success and continued growth of UConn as a university is proportionally much more significant to the state than the feelings of a few hundred locals.

The leadership of the school should have significantly more freedom to build and develop the surrounding area as they see fit without having to get it approved by some latter-day Barney Fifes.

the Q

Reaction Score
Not really sure what impact it would have Mansfield, though I'd guess quite a few people would probably like not having to deal with "UConn things" anymore which I imagine is quite an administrative and time consuming headache for such a small municipality.

However, this is really about what's best for UConn. The success and continued growth of UConn as a university is proportionally much more significant to the state than the feelings of a few hundred locals.

The leadership of the school should have significantly more freedom to build and develop the surrounding area as they see fit without having to get it approved by some latter-day Barney Fifes.

oh i agree.

I guess i was mostly curious if there was going to be any kind of financial hit to the Mansfield where, despite all their whining about UConn, they'd now whine that uconn was trying to pull this.

Reaction Score
oh i agree.

I guess i was mostly curious if there was going to be any kind of financial hit to the Mansfield where, despite all their whining about UConn, they'd now whine that uconn was trying to pull this.

There would definitely be whining.

I'm not really sure about the mechanisms for making this happen, but hopefully it's something that could be done over Mansfield's heads.

Reaction Score
I think there's a halfway point here. It certainly needs to be a bigger area of emphasis. State's can't keep subsidizing these schools if they don't help drive economic gains. There's no point.

Agree with @UConnJim on development as well. Most college towns started as nothing, and became centers for innovation, jobs, entertainment and growth. Mansfield has blunted this, and the state needs to put a stop to it. No, they can't move it to Hartford @August_West , that ship has sailed, and the impact would be negligible. A university can do more to grow a rural/suburban area than it can to impact a decaying urban center. UConn's enrollment would drop by half if you told students they'd be in Hartford.

Do you have any basis for that assertion? UCONN’s rural location seems to work against it in recruiting. Hartford is a much better location ( less ratty) than the home of some other quality schools — Columbia, Penn, Chicago, NYU——. Don’t get me wrong, with the states current bankrupt condition it isn’t going to happen during the lifetime of the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Do you have any basis for that assertion? UCONN’s rural location seems to work against it in recruiting. Hartford is a much better location ( less ratty) than the home of some other quality schools — Columbia, Penn, Chicago, NYU——. Don’t get me wrong, with the states current bankrupt condition it isn’t going to happen during the lifetime of the Boneyard.

I think what he's trying to say is UConn is "artificially" rural. The Mansfield folk have done everything in their power to put the kabosh on any sort of development in the area over the years, thus Storrs hasn't developed in the way that many college towns have developed.

Reaction Score
The town of Mansfield is a joke. I blame @Stainmaster and his NIMBY friends. The town doesn't even know what's best for itself. Storrs center is a great example. They opposed it forever and now they won't move the HS because they like the downtown.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The town of Mansfield is a joke. I blame @Stainmaster and his NIMBY friends. The town doesn't even know what's best for itself. Storrs center is a great example. They opposed it forever and now they won't move the HS because they like the downtown.

Bruh my immediate family fought the NIMBYS for years and was part of the group that made Storrs Center happen. You're welcome.

Reaction Score
Herbst and the Deep State Campus Police shut down the party scene just to piss you off personally
There was a literal conspiracy to shut down spring weekend. It was in a FOIA request.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I'm sorry that you don't like the truth. I wish I could find the article with the .pdf of the requests. UConn's night life died at Susan Herbst's hands.

Ask me how much I care

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
you didn't even go here. #fakefan

Yeah, that explains why there’s a ‘99 national championship ring in my house — because I come from a family of fake fans.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, that explains why there’s a ‘99 national championship ring in my house — because I come from a family of fake fans.
Picture?

Reaction Score
UConn mght stick to teaching basic education. 9/10 start-ups fail, so a large base is required to achieve any meaningful success. Silicaon Valley / Boston have that, along with a lot of hi-end talent. How would UConn / Mansfield fare in this enviro??

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
UConn mght stick to teaching basic education. 9/10 start-ups fail, so a large base is required to achieve any meaningful success. Silicaon Valley / Boston have that, along with a lot of hi-end talent. How would UConn / Mansfield fare in this enviro??

So because startups fail UConn shouldn't invest in it? Yeah, this is silly logic.

Reaction Score
There was a literal conspiracy to shut down spring weekend. It was in a FOIA request.
"literal conspiracy"? Nah, far more of a reasonably justified strategic plan after the alcohol age change to 21 pushed even more of the reasonably out of control 80s and 90s partying off campus. It may have been in Section 2.A-i just before the no tea and crumpets with Susie for Ag students and other non-STEM major whiners category. ;)

the Q

Reaction Score

So because startups fail UConn shouldn't invest in it? Yeah, this is silly logic.

I’m a world where technology is ever evolving and ai and robots will be replacing huge parts of the work force, I think you need to open to helping students see all their options for making a living.

It’s not like they wouldn’t be taking marketing and finance classes anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom