Herbst Blasts Proposal To Turn UConn Into "Entrepreneurship University" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Herbst Blasts Proposal To Turn UConn Into "Entrepreneurship University"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was a guest lecturer at an entrepreneurial college seminar. Start ups fail at high rate in part because people assume that what they do now will scale up. It might but you need to think about that. They often lack an understanding about choice of entity and the impact that that will have on them. Operating Agreements are often non-existent or at best pro forma. That's a huge problem. All of that is information that they should get from their attorneys and accountants, but often do not. It makes a big difference in the success or failure of a start up. UConn could have a series addressing this in its business school.

That said, if CT needs a votech program, UConn probably not the place for it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Seems silly to even ask this question given your Paterno thread, but have you spent any time in State College?

While State College is a joke to the us urban sophisticates in Pittsburgh and probably Philly, for being in the middle of nowhere, there are some pretty solid bars, restaurants and other businesses with a downtown area that's a hella more developed than anything surrounding UConn's campus.

Culturally, everyone in Centre County knows they owe whatever living they have to PSU. PSU gets what it wants, even post-Sandusky, and everyone gets out of their way as PSU development = the only good jobs and prosperity in Central PA.

Thinking about this, UConn should've build it's football palace on a hill close to campus so everyone in the surrounding area could be reminded daily of who's the boss in that part of the state. You can't drive down I-99 without seeing how imposing Beaver Stadium is.
Well that’s for sure, and great if you want football to be the main attractions definitely dominates the landscape. Hey, you can almost see the Rent from I 84.
UConn has a great campus and is attracting students from all over the country. It’s a half hour from Hartford, usually less time than it takes to drive from East LA to Westwood and UCLA. While Mansfield Is hardly urban, it’s not like it was when I was there, a legally dry town.

The location per se is not an issue in attracting students. But the resistance of Mansfield towniex to UConn related private development has been an issue for years. Development closer to i84 is a good idea and would enhance tge schools reputation as a research center I’d want to know a lot more about that legislation. If it has the real impact of making UConn essentially a tech school,it will certainly affect who would want to go or teach there. One of the better state tech type universities, VTech, is okay in some non-tech disciplines. And Blacksburg is absolutely in the middle of nowhere. I think the student body might be larger than UVA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall
Top Bottom