OT: - Help with a dog behavior issue | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Help with a dog behavior issue

Reaction Score
So Carmel, or as we like to call her Carmy, has also had 3 surgeries in the past 18 months for cancer and she was attacked by another dog. So with all the RX and OTC on and off we don’t want to give her anymore drugs. I really want to build her a storm shelter in my daughter’s room. That’s her mommy. That’s my goal.

Reaction Score
We have a 75 lb shepherd lab mix. She’s that gorgeous red brown color mix. She was a rescue we got from a no kill shelter. She was raised by horders and abused. She’s got lots of issues and I wanted to ask you all about one. Storms scare the hell out of her I mean complete panic. Between 10 pm and 7 am I was up half the time with her because she can’t settle down. She will dig up the carpet, move furniture get stuck underneath the bed, accidentally break things, etc. Drugs don’t help. She will burrow into a corner to try and stay safe. She’s 75 lbs and too strong to hold down and cuddle with. I need ideas for her own in-door shelter in the corner of a room. Normal blankets pillows dog toys are useless in theSe circumstances. Any ideas?
Why would you ask people in the Boneyard?!! Talk to your vet, who could recommend a behaviorist in your vicinity.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Whew, I thought this was another thread about how Geno has lost control of his Huskies... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
We have currently 2 border collies-- 3yearcless and 7 months. Border Collies are sound/noise sensitive, so any alarming sound is issues for them. But also moving objects: cars, bicycles and running children are challenges. Like other things in life here, one is required(?, or at least the majority do ) to take a puppy training course of a couple of weeks. Partly, due to insurance requirements, and because you learn a lot. I'm not sure about how things are in the States. but our insurance would pay for a session or two with a behaviorist. Having said that I will say that medication is only used here in the severest of instances, as it cannot 'cure' the problem at hand. There are non-invasive/additive herbs that you should be able to get from your local Vet.
I would rec seeking out a few sessions with any of the many professional dog behavioral trainers out there. Americans excel in this area- especially the police and military ex-people. Or, seek out a reputable source from the Internet. Of course putting the dog in a bigger and stronger iron cage will save your carpet, but it won't solve the dog's problem (perhaps re-enforced it). Glad to hear of people like you and your family who goes to the Pound to offer a better life to an animal that others may have (unwittingly) abused. Good Luck.

Reaction Score
Why would you ask people in the Boneyard?!! Talk to your vet, who could recommend a behaviorist in your vicinity.
Been there and done that. I guess you didn’t read all of the posts? I also knew there would be some fog owners on here and maybe they had a similar circumstance. Have you?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom