Help! Need Advice on TV Provider | The Boneyard

Help! Need Advice on TV Provider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reside in central Ct. and have been enslaved to Comcast forever. Now they are dropping YES ( I know that before season starts it could change). No AXS TV for game this week. My question is for Dish and DirecTv users. Number one, does the service cutout often? My in laws in Florida had problems with that. Number 2: is the internet slow compared to Comcast? Frontier offers phone, Internet, and then gives you Dish. Comcast raised me to $229 including HBO, Show, Max and the sports package. I am on the no call list but still get 5 calls a day on my land line (my wife doesn't want to give it up). I have Amazon Prime. When I called the satellite providers they offer a low come on that changes in 3 months, then you have them for 2 years but it still is maybe $50 less than Comcast. Is it worth even switching? I feel like these companies have us by the balls because if I cut out phone there is still no savings because of the "package" Comcast savings triple play. I know this has been discussed but any feed back is appreciated. SNY is not on some networks?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Honestly I don't understand anyone who is a big sports fan and doesn't have DirecTV. I read all the complaining about not getting AXS (or nbcsn or cbssn or SNY) and shake my head. I doubt many have over the air only so why have a crappy cable company? I've had DTV for at least 20 years and I think in that time, there have been about 3 games that weren't broadcast. There is the possibility of rain fade but it has to be raining really hard. I live in socal and we do get some big storms and it never goes out for more than 5 minutes or so and that may be twice a year. I have no idea if it is any worse with snow - the New England guys would have to help you with that.

I can't speak to the cost vs. other services because I never bothered to compare. The value DTV delivers is well worth whatever it is costing me and there has never been a thought in my mind about changing.

Keep Comcast for Internet/phone and use DTV for your broadcast feeds. Double play on DTV is about the best thing ever for sports fans if you don't want to see commercials and two games are on at the same time. I don't have any experience with Genie, but if you have multiple TVs, it seems like a great solution (though you lose double play at least at the remote locations). They have added a ton of on demand programming so with a fast cable Internet connection, you can binge watch GOT, Banshee, Walking Dead, etc. to your hearts content.

As a final note, JD Powers consistently ranks DTV at the top of the satisfaction ratings.

Reaction Score
I am in the same boat as jibsey in Madison. I am paying over $200/mo without Showtime, Max and sports package, with 5/25 internet. I do have couple of Tivos with cable cards. Of the $200, 57 and change for internet. I have no Frontier TV where I am.

Reaction Score
I read all the complaining about not getting AXS (or nbcsn or cbssn or SNY) and shake my head.

We have had people complain about games being on ESPN2 even, at least in previous seasons.

Reaction Score
Honestly I don't understand anyone who is a big sports fan and doesn't have DirecTV. I read all the complaining about not getting AXS (or nbcsn or cbssn or SNY) and shake my head. I doubt many have over the air only so why have a crappy cable company? I've had DTV for at least 20 years and I think in that time, there have been about 3 games that weren't broadcast. There is the possibility of rain fade but it has to be raining really hard. I live in socal and we do get some big storms and it never goes out for more than 5 minutes or so and that may be twice a year. I have no idea if it is any worse with snow - the New England guys would have to help you with that.

I can't speak to the cost vs. other services because I never bothered to compare. The value DTV delivers is well worth whatever it is costing me and there has never been a thought in my mind about changing.

Keep Comcast for Internet/phone and use DTV for your broadcast feeds. Double play on DTV is about the best thing ever for sports fans if you don't want to see commercials and two games are on at the same time. I don't have any experience with Genie, but if you have multiple TVs, it seems like a great solution (though you lose double play at least at the remote locations). They have added a ton of on demand programming so with a fast cable Internet connection, you can binge watch GOT, Banshee, Walking Dead, etc. to your hearts content.

As a final note, JD Powers consistently ranks DTV at the top of the satisfaction ratings.
Thanks. Gonna call Comcast for the phone internet combo but I know they will screw me.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
warbler13 said:
I am in the same boat as jibsey in Madison. I am paying over $200/mo without Showtime, Max and sports package, with 5/25 internet. I do have couple of Tivos with cable cards. Of the $200, 57 and change for internet. I have no Frontier TV where I am.

Are you in contract? Because if you are out of contract you can negotiate contract with Comcast through retention department . It can be aggravating but if you are persistent you will get there. I had a terrible deal kept holding off ( dish not an option I live in woods) and for 170 a month I get 12/100 Internet , phone EVERY pay channel.

Reaction Score
I live in socal and we do get some big storms...

Sorry, man, you lost credibility with that statement. Unless, of course, by “socal” you were referring to southern Calcutta (now known as Kolkata), where they actually do get some big storms.

Here in southern California morning dew is considered a major meteorological event.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Sorry, man, you lost credibility with that statement. Unless, of course, by “socal” you were referring to southern Calcutta (now known as Kolkata), where they actually do get some big storms.

Here in southern California morning dew is considered a major meteorological event.
I live in Reno and Tahoe and we virtually never lose signal. On the rare occasion we do, I go outside and clear the snow off the dish and ere good to go.

Reaction Score
DirecTv being installed Tues morning, hello AXS! Also got Vonage for $9.99
Am keeping Comcast Internet for $39.99. I will now get premium channels on all of my Tvs unlike the Comcast mini boxes.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

I live in the foothills - not uncommon to get 6 inches of rain in 24 hours or have it come down at an inch or more an hour for 30 minutes. We also get hail once or twice a year. Obviously 340 days a year it's a bit nicer than that, but we do get some big storms and this year will be pretty wet.

Reaction Score
You made a very strong case for going with DirectTV’s service—which jibsey is apparently following (probably wisely; my experience with the provider many years ago was also quite positive)—but I had to call you out on the one detail of your argument that didn’t stand. Weather in southern California, even in the foothills, is simply not an issue.

Had you mentioned how well DirectTV performs in the event of rampant brush fires, however…

Reaction Score
Also, if you are diligent with calling DirecTV when your promos expire they always have some new ones that they will offer you to keep your monthly bill about the same…

I live in Woodbridge & the service can be a little spotty during rain storms (especially lightning) or heavy snow… If it does go out it comes back fairly quickly but the signal degradation can be a pain at times…

I had Dish & dumped them when they started taking sport channels away (SNY, MSG, etc). DirecTV gives you access to just about any channel you want. I'm sure you'll like it.

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You made a very strong case for going with DirectTV’s service—which jibsey is apparently following (probably wisely; my experience with the provider many years ago was also quite positive)—but I had to call you out on the one detail of your argument that didn’t stand. Weather in southern California, even in the foothills, is simply not an issue.

Had you mentioned how well DirectTV performs in the event of rampant brush fires, however…
On the bright side, DirecTV is immune to earthquakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom