Help from Old Yankee Conf fans..... | The Boneyard

Help from Old Yankee Conf fans.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My son had a HS tourney in Amherst at Curry Hicks, The Cage, yesterday and today, and I had not been there since my dad took me I believe early 70's..........there was a real nice guard back in those days for UMass and his name escapes me......McCrocklin or something??

By the way the place is still a beautiful old field house in great shape, small seating (maybe 3-4K max) but the floor is immaculate. Not as big around the floor as the old Field House at Storrs but a track around it and very similar..........

Reaction Score
My son had a HS tourney in Amherst at Curry Hicks, The Cage, yesterday and today, and I had not been there since my dad took me I believe early 70's..........there was a real nice guard back in those days for UMass and his name escapes me......McCrocklin or something??

By the way the place is still a beautiful old field house in great shape, small seating (maybe 3-4K max) but the floor is immaculate. Not as big around the floor as the old Field House at Storrs but a track around it and very similar..........
Curry Hicks Cage, now there is an old Yankee Conference venue from the Uconn Fieldhouse days with its green rubber floor and leaky roof. Curry Hicks Cage and the Hart Center at Holy Cross were among the best gyms in New England.Umass, URI, Holy Cross and BC were our rivals in those days. Providence was a few notches above Uconn and we rarely played them.Umass had some good players under Kraft and we had some real battles.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My last trip to Cage was just brutal. About 3-4 seconds left, UConn up two taking the ball out at half court. Ball goes into Earl Kelley, UMass not contesting at all. Kelley starts walking, literally. Didn't even bother to dribble. He was too busy making sure his jock strap was visible, I guess. He gets called for travelling. UMass takes over and just heaves it from midcourt and it goes in. They end up losing in OT. I had that game had pretty much buried from my memory until now. Thanks, mau.

Reaction Score
My last trip to Cage was just brutal. About 3-4 seconds left, UConn up two taking the ball out at half court. Ball goes into Earl Kelley, UMass not contesting at all. Kelley starts walking, literally. Didn't even bother to dribble. He was too busy making sure his jock strap was visible, I guess. He gets called for travelling. UMass takes over and just heaves it from midcourt and it goes in. They end up losing in OT. I had that game had pretty much buried from my memory until now. Thanks, mau.

Sorry Waq didn't mean to bring back such painful memories..........Earl was a player though as whacked as he was!! I always said if he was a few years older and could've played with Corny, McKay and Chuck they would have been something.......

Reaction Score
I thought this thread was going to be about coping strategies for following a team in an irrelevant conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought this thread was going to be about coping strategies for following a team in an irrelevant conference.

It is. In a dropping can on your toe to relieve your headache sort of way.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I remember that jock strap riding above his shorts in the back all the time. I guess he was a one-man trend setter.

Reaction Score

http://www.sacredheartpioneers.com/sports/m-baskbl/2012-13/bios/kelley_evan_riky

Reaction Score
Curry Hicks Cage, now there is an old Yankee Conference venue from the Uconn Fieldhouse days with its green rubber floor and leaky roof. Curry Hicks Cage and the Hart Center at Holy Cross were among the best gyms in New England.Umass, URI, Holy Cross and BU* were our rivals in those days. Providence was a few notches above Uconn and we rarely played them.Umass had some good players under Kraft and we had some real battles.

Reaction Score
Pretty ironic this young man wants to pursue a career in law enforcement huh?..........Mom is his hero, thank God I guess!!
Central Park Five is an interesting documentary with mixed reviews. Maybe you would enjoy it. If Evan can learn to treat people with dignity, respect and most important impartiality he can be a good cop. If he wants to affect positive change in a community there is no better job.

I have to admit though there are some horrible cops out there. Find 1 with a grudge against humanity and you have a serious problem. Similar to Adam Lanza being off of his Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors.

Reaction Score
Curry Hicks Cage, now there is an old Yankee Conference venue from the Uconn Fieldhouse days with its green rubber floor and leaky roof. Curry Hicks Cage and the Hart Center at Holy Cross were among the best gyms in New England.Umass, URI, Holy Cross and BC were our rivals in those days. Providence was a few notches above Uconn and we rarely played them.Umass had some good players under Kraft and we had some real battles.

Mike Pyatt and Jim Town were always tough

Reaction Score
Yeah good memories of guys my age (little older), late 70's good players. Town was a tough guy right, rebounder pretty good scorer? Pyatt could score..........had some big games

Reaction Score
Yeah good memories of guys my age (little older), late 70's good players. Town was a tough guy right, rebounder pretty good scorer? Pyatt could score..........had some big games
Right on both, Town was a double-double guy. Other guys from the area were,
Rob Carrington from BC, Vicens, Potter and Doran from Holy Cross, We played Manhattan abit if I remember, they had a guy named George Bucci in the 70's who was pretty good.

Reaction Score
Mid - Late 70's Ronnie Perry at HC, Ernie Cobb at BC, Sly Williams at URI with the kid from Hall High (Nelson?), PC had Eason and Soup from CT we had Carr, Whelton, Abro, JThomas and Lavigne.....really fun days in the ECAC.....really good ole days!!

Reaction Score
Mid - Late 70's Ronnie Perry at HC, Ernie Cobb at BC, Sly Williams at URI with the kid from Hall High (Nelson?), PC had Eason and Soup from CT we had Carr, Whelton, Abro, JThomas and Lavigne.....really fun days in the ECAC.....really good ole days!!
I think Jiggy Williamson played on some of Sly's teams. Wright played on those teams, URI was good. Thanks , they were good days, lots of good players around. Cant forget Rutgers!

Reaction Score
Bobby Lloyd played for Rutgers in the late 60s I believe and he was tough. Rutgers also had Phil Sellers in the mid-70s and he played in a memorable game at the Field House. UConn won and the place was a mad house. A lot of old YankCon names pop into my head. Dr. J and Sonar Hassett. BU had an average guy named Lou Graham but whenever he scored at home the announcer would scream "that's two for Lou." I never missed an in semester game at the Field House in the 4 years I was at UConn. Great times.

Reaction Score
Bobby Lloyd played for Rutgers in the late 60s I believe and he was tough. Rutgers also had Phil Sellers in the mid-70s and he played in a memorable game at the Field House. UConn won and the place was a mad house. A lot of old YankCon names pop into my head. Dr. J and Sonar Hassett. BU had an average guy named Lou Graham but whenever he scored at home the announcer would scream "that's two for Lou." I never missed an in semester game at the Field House in the 4 years I was at UConn. Great times.

Wasn't it Joey "Radar" Hassett? No matter like Idaho and others say, many good players many of them from CT, were around New England and even NYC back in those days........

The RU team had 4 pretty good pro's in Sellers, Dabney, Jordan and James Bailey (I thkn Bailey utah Jazz etc ).........Hollis Copeland was a nice player too......

Reaction Score
Warren Prehmus, shooting guard from UVM, saw him at the fieldhouse a couple of times, he was good. Assumption was good basketball.. Use to watch PC on WJAR 10 in Providence. Jimmy Laranega, Nehru King, Ernie D, Marvin Barnes. Bailey used to beat the crap out of Al Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom