Helmet Facemask Change? | The Boneyard

Helmet Facemask Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
As a lot of us on here noted back when the new unis were unveiled, the Red facemasks just look a little odd... I just saw this photo posted on the BY homepage, from the "Party at the Point" event down in Stamford back on June 22nd. That looks to me like both a red (left) and navy blue (right) facemask on these new lids... Right?

image4-e1435075029915-225x300.jpg

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
They did have both there as I saw them in person. I think the one with the blue face mask is either a) just for promotional work or b) going to be part of the alternate uni.

Reaction Score
I get that the color red isn't a traditional part of UConn's color scheme beyond some minimal trim for contrast.

But it has been scientifically demonstrated that the color red, in competition, significantly increases the wearer's aggression and makes the opponent more submissive.

I think the football team needs every minuscule advantage it can get.

[half-serious]

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Scrap the white wolf helmet for blue. If not, the red mask is ok. Looks cool

Reaction Score
Within a few years Warde and Susan will make us Rutger. I predict red uniforms before too long. I think these are a great improvement over the arena league ones we wore the last few years but I'd prefer the blue helmet I also think we need to be consistent over a long period and establish an identity.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
As a lot of us on here noted back when the new unis were unveiled, the Red facemasks just look a little odd... I just saw this photo posted on the BY homepage, from the "Party at the Point" event down in Stamford back on June 22nd. That looks to me like both a red (left) and navy blue (right) facemask on these new lids... Right?

image4-e1435075029915-225x300.jpg

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I'm glad that the powers that be were willing to at least get that prototype out there, which bodes well for us using them at some point in the future. They look SO MUCH BETTER with the blue facemask! That would make my day to see them come out of the tunnel with those bad boys right there...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Red accents have been a part of the UConn Color scheme for nearly 25 years. Official colors are National Flag Blue and White, which are two of the three colors on the American Flag. I think it is only fitting that red be used in some piping and accents.

I'm not crazy about the red face mask, but the new look football uniforms seem like a cross between the Patriots and Giants schemes and could serve to strengthen a Northeast brand across the nation. There is nothing wrong with being associated with New York (#1 media market in the country), and New England (Consistent winners). The argument over the colors is just white noise. Watch how fast the new Uniforms "grow on people" when UConn starts winning with them.

It's the same argument that occurred in 1998 with changing of the school seal. A few old crotchety alumni claimed they went to the University of Connecticut not the University of Oak. It just doesn't move the needle.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The red face mask is featured on the season ticket marketing I see on the back of local busses. It may have been the only one available when the campaign was put together.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The red face mask is featured on the season ticket marketing I see on the back of local busses. It may have been the only one available when the campaign was put together.

Reaction Score
image-jpg.9966

Looks a lot better with the blue mask - guessing they'll switch back & forth throughout the season.

Really miss the blue helmet look - looked great during the Edsall/Block "C" era. Not sure why they're pushing the white ones so much.

Reaction Score
I was just starting to get used to the red facemasks, too. Can't go wrong with blue, though. Assuming it's legit, I'm sure they'll rotate as alternatives.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Love the solid blue stripe. It's very wide. I don't know of another stripe like that on any helmet except for possibly the Miami Dolphins with a wide aqua stripe.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I spoke with players today who said that the blue facemask will be used as an alternate

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
image-jpg.9966

Looks a lot better with the blue mask - guessing they'll switch back & forth throughout the season.

Really miss the blue helmet look - looked great during the Edsall/Block "C" era. Not sure why they're pushing the white ones so much.
It is a vast improvement. I think the Husky could a bit bigger, but that's nitpicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom