OT: - Hell Froze over, Cincinnati and Ohio State schedule H&H | The Boneyard

OT: Hell Froze over, Cincinnati and Ohio State schedule H&H

Reaction Score
Good. Need more AAC schools to beef up their non conf schedules.....and win those games.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Good. Need more AAC schools to beef up their non conf schedules.....and win those games.
A non-conference home schedule of Ohio State, Xavier and UCLA next year is the best I can remember in a long time. Along with a road game at Mississippi State and a pending Preseason Event (hope to God it's not like the crap we're in this year) and we're set to have a tremendous schedule next year.

Reaction Score
A non-conference home schedule of Ohio State, Xavier and UCLA next year is the best I can remember in a long time. Along with a road game at Mississippi State and a pending Preseason Event (hope to God it's not like the crap we're in this year) and we're set to have a tremendous schedule next year.

Hey @kobe can you give a little background on why OSU had been so against playing this game?

Also, what is the relationship between UC and OSU fans like?

Reaction Score
Hey @kobe can you give a little background on why OSU had been so against playing this game?

OSU makes more money on home games. Unless their is some good TV money for the home and home, they don't do it. My guess is this is some sort of good Ohio citizen game for OSU.

Reaction Score
Some people say it's bitterness from UC beating OSU in back to back national championship games. There's been no games on either campus since then.

kobe

Reaction Score

How long you got?

The short (conspiracy theory version) story....

Ohio State is still pissed that we beat them two straight years for the National Championship (in 1961 and 1962). After those games they refused to schedule us and only agreed one time...which was in Mick Cronin's first year when we had 1 scholarship player and they had Greg Oden and Mike Conley Jr.

Long story....

Ohio State has a delusion that everyone in Ohio should be an Ohio State fan. You can still have your Alma mater to support, but you should also support Ohio State. This is largely the case throughout central and north eastern Ohio (where most MAC schools are). In these parts of Ohio most people are die-hard Ohio State fans so they don't mind occasionally scheduling these teams as it will not create a conflict of rooting interest.

However in southwest Ohio, they don't have the same influence. Sure there are a lot of people that move down here for work that are Ohio State fans but for the most part they don't have a familial backing among the locals. People, particularly in Cincinnati, do not really see themselves as from Ohio. Hell I've lived in Ohio most of my life and have never spent any real time in Cleveland or really anywhere north of Columbus. Here is where scheduling Cincinnati, Xavier and Dayton becomes a conflict. These three are strong programs that don't see Ohio State as the "Big Brother" and have not been indoctrinated to love them. Urban Meyer (who is a Cincinnati alum) has publicly stated that "Cincinnati isn't an Ohio State city" which is why they actually scheduled their Spring Football game at Paul Brown Stadium a few years ago to try and gain traction.

Thankfully their fan base has gotten tired of the charade of not playing schools in Ohio and Chris Holtmann has stepped up to the plate and actually scheduled us.

Reaction Score
How long you got?

Ohio State has a delusion that everyone in Ohio should be an Ohio State fan. You can still have your Alma mater to support, but you should also support Ohio State. This is largely the case throughout central and north eastern Ohio (where most MAC schools are). In these parts of Ohio most people are die-hard Ohio State fans so they don't mind occasionally scheduling these teams as it will not create a conflict of rooting interest.

QUOTE]

Hmm, this is kind of like UConn in CT but actually holds true. I have friends/family that went to other CT schools like Southern/Eastern Connecticut State, Sacred Heart, Fairfield U, U of Bridgeport, U of New Haven etc.. but are UConn fans. Like you said, they support their alma mater but are bigger fans of UConn sports than their own (if they have them).

Reaction Score
How long you got?

The short (conspiracy theory version) story....

Ohio State is still pissed that we beat them two straight years for the National Championship (in 1961 and 1962). After those games they refused to schedule us and only agreed one time...which was in Mick Cronin's first year when we had 1 scholarship player and they had Greg Oden and Mike Conley Jr.

Long story....

However in southwest Ohio, they don't have the same influence. Sure there are a lot of people that move down here for work that are Ohio State fans but for the most part they don't have a familial backing among the locals. People, particularly in Cincinnati, do not really see themselves as from Ohio. Hell I've lived in Ohio most of my life and have never spent any real time in Cleveland or really anywhere north of Columbus. Here is where scheduling Cincinnati, Xavier and Dayton becomes a conflict. These three are strong programs that don't see Ohio State as the "Big Brother" and have not been indoctrinated to love them. Urban Meyer (who is a Cincinnati alum) has publicly stated that "Cincinnati isn't an Ohio State city" which is why they actually scheduled their Spring Football game at Paul Brown Stadium a few years ago to try and gain traction.

Thankfully their fan base has gotten tired of the charade of not playing schools in Ohio and Chris Holtmann has stepped up to the plate and actually scheduled us.

Thanks @kobe

Things like that (institutional and cultural differences spawning rivalries) are part of what makes college sports fun

Reaction Score
It'd be nice to have a real in-state rival.
UConn? Or Cincinnati? The Cincinnati-Xavier rivalry is about as intense a rivalry in college basketball as there is so I'm guessing you meant UConn. Unfortunately there aren't any other big programs in Connecticut. Our state is just too small.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wasn't UConn involved with opening OSU's arena awhile back? I know we opened UCF's arena and the new Big House.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn? Or Cincinnati? The Cincinnati-Xavier rivalry is about as intense a rivalry in college basketball as there is so I'm guessing you meant UConn. Unfortunately there aren't any other big programs in Connecticut. Our state is just too small.

Oh, I meant UConn for sure. We don't even really have a regional rival.

Cincinnati has some great area rivalries for sure. Got a pretty decent one going with UConn too #jalenadams

kobe

Reaction Score

Cincinnati has some great area rivalries for sure. Got a pretty decent one going with UConn too #jalenadams

Never heard of him.

What I do know is we played three games last year for a grand total of 120 minutes of basketball and UConn never led even for a second.

Love you guys.

Reaction Score

Well, I mean...it USED to be cuse and BC (even though we beat them 95% of the time) as far as regional New England rivals went and you can add in pitt, gtown, st. johns, nova and cuse for regional even though they are not New England. Cuse you could still argue is kind of a rival and BC, well, was too one sided to consider a rival still plus they are too scared to ever play uconn in Bball even when Uconn is kind of down.

Cincy I will glady take as a NEW rival, but darn it I at least want to keep cuse and nova as rivals that last forever, haha.

Reaction Score
Well, I mean...it USED to be cuse and BC (even though we beat them 95% of the time) as far as regional New England rivals went and you can add in pitt, gtown, st. johns, nova and cuse for regional even though they are not New England. Cuse you could still argue is kind of a rival and BC, well, was too one sided to consider a rival still plus they are too scared to ever play uconn in Bball even when Uconn is kind of down.

Cincy I will glady take as a NEW rival, but darn it I at least want to keep cuse and nova as rivals that last forever, haha.

I still consider Cuse to be a rival, but they are located in Canada. Not exactly regional, ya know?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Never heard of him.

What I do know is we played three games last year for a grand total of 120 minutes of basketball and UConn never led even for a second.

Love you guys.

wasn't that the last time cinci sniffed a national championship game? 1962?

Reaction Score
Damn, sounds like that will be a fun game to go to.

It'd be nice to have a real in-state rival.
We have trouble in this state even filling seats for one team, two would be scary

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom