Heather Macy out at ECU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Heather Macy out at ECU

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Maybe not, which would make him as clueless about the rules as her. Hmmmm?
He is new to the school and the program. He has an excellent record at his previous schools. And she has been trending down lately. Perhaps his hiring was prelude to the unfortunate rules breach, and conveniently set up her departure, tears and all? More of a fox than a weasel? Was the AD implicated in any rules violations, or did he just happen to stumble upon them? As they say, the plot thickens! :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is possible, but if the coaches didn't know they must have been a fairly lazy bunch. All of the practice rules are readily available in the NCAA bylaws, and any assistant who is worth anything should have read them multiple times. They aren't very complicated.
The complicate staff (separate from the coaching staff) should also have been the first to be aware of "practice violations." In my experience the compliance staff are the ones that monitor things like when practices must be over, numbers of consecutive days of practice, and that assistant coaches cannot participate in certain drills like pickup games or shell drills etc.

Reaction Score
Maybe not, which would make him as clueless about the rules as her. Hmmmm?

Considering you have NO IDEA which rules were violated, you seem awfully confident that he should have known them.

I will also note that it is Ms Macy who said the violations were due to "practice rules." The school has not commented on specifics. For all any of us know, she could have been giving envelopes of cash to players, and is using "practice rules" to get out in front of the story.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Considering you have NO IDEA which rules were violated, you seem awfully confident that he should have known them.

I will also note that it is Ms Macy who said the violations were due to "practice rules." The school has not commented on specifics. For all any of us know, she could have been giving envelopes of cash to players, and is using "practice rules" to get out in front of the story.
You’re coming around to my initial thought, that this has nothing to do with practice rules, or in the sarcastic words of Allen Iverson, “We’re talkin about practice?”

Reaction Score
You’re coming around to my initial thought,

Um, no.
You have no idea what my initial thought was, so _again_ you have no basis to draw such conclusions.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Um, no.
You have no idea what my initial thought was, so _again_ you have no basis to draw such conclusions.
No conclusions. Merely speculation. Which is sort of what you are doing with your “envelopes of cash” suggestion.

Relax. I’m just busting your stones. ;)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
No conclusions. Merely speculation. Which is sort of what you are doing with your “envelopes of cash” suggestion.

Relax. I’m just busting your stones. ;)
Tread lightly here, some people's stones are more sensitive than other's. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I do have an idea. Practice rules. And yea, I'm pretty confident he (and she) should have known about NCAA practice rules. It's part of their job to know that stuff.....so they don't get themselves and the school in trouble.

Now, who's speculating? At least I'm going on what's been reported.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
After reading everything that is presented here, (what was reported by the media, and the comments by BY brethren), my opinion for what it's worth is simply that Macy got caught with her hand in the cookie jar. I think she knew exactly what she was doing. It's possible someone dropped a dime on her, to bring the matter to light. I don't believe she voluntarily turned herself in.

I don't believe Macy to be a stupid or naive with respect to NCAA D-1 protocol or procedures. She's been coaching since 2000, that's 18 years, many of those years at the Division 1 level. Coaches know the NCAA rules regarding policy and protocol as much as they do the rules of the game. Knowing the rules and regs of the NCAA is one of the prerequisites for being hired as a college level coach.

They have to because the buck stops with them. In the end, coaches are ALWAYS held accountable for anything and EVERYTHING that happens within their program (including the actions of their assistants a la Rick Patino). In this case, the investigators and administration view this violation as a rule that she should have known about, whether she did or not.

As other posters have mentioned, she had assistant coaches (and an administrative compliance officer) that should have known the rules and protocols for practice for D1 programs. To say that she mis-understood the practice rules is questionable.

It's coach speak. Rather than challenge the allegations, she chose to resign immediately. People who are innocent of the charges or allegations made against them don't resign. As always, other coaches will learn from this incident. I'm sure Macy will resurface again as head coach in another program in the near future.

1539963573486.png

Last edited by a moderator:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Partially right. I was giving the assistant the benefit of the doubt.

So either he didn't know OR he did know and didn't advocate his position well enough to keep his HC out of hot water, and then went behind her back to report her. Either way, not really a person I'd want heading my basketball program. Either ignorant or a conniving little weasel.

Or, a third option. He advocated his position. He explained the NCAA rules, reminding her of them. And she refused to listen to him. So he reported her to the administration or the school's compliance office.

Assume this hypothetical is true - and that he was the one who contacted the compliance office.
-- Does reporting a violation making someone a weasel?
-- Does going to the compliance office to explain that a coach is violating the rules and not wanting the university to bear the punishment for her doing so make him a weasel?

It is a bit much to refer to an assistant as "going behind [the head coach's] back to report her and that makes him a "conniving little weasel."

What if people had reported misconduct or things they saw that violated the law much earlier in, say, the cases involving Jerry Sandusky, Larry Nasser, etc.? What about people reporting things earlier regarding Rene Portland?

Again, assuming the third option is true (an option you did not consider in your previous post), I do not understand why reporting a violation of law/rules makes someone a "conniving little weasel." I do, however, understand that labeling someone who reports a violation of law/rules as a "conniving little weasel" is part of the reason why various whistleblower retaliation protection laws exist.

Now, who's speculating? At least I'm going on what's been reported.

@vowelguy noted that so much of this is speculation, but, with all due, @meyers7 , you seem, in the first post that I quoted above, to be making a lot of judgment calls without necessarily having all of the facts or considering that there may be additional options in terms of the events that transpired.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
wow... this whole time I thought we were talking about Eastern Connecticut... I wondered why everyone so involved in this post! got it now

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom