Heather Macy out at ECU

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
IMG_20180903_124424.jpg

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Saying she misunderstood practice rules.

Please.

She had three Assistant Coaches, a Director of Basketball Operations, and an Assistant Director of Basketball Operations.

The rules can`t be so complicated that six people in the business would be befuddled by them.

For 2018-2019 season and for recruiting, timing could not be worse.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Saying she misunderstood practice rules.

Please.

She had three Assistant Coaches, a Director of Basketball Operations, and an Assistant Director of Basketball Operations.

The rules can`t be so complicated that six people in the business would be befuddled by them.
Current assistant coach Chad Killinger has accepted the role as interim head coach

So an assistant coach who obviously didn't understand the rules either is going to take over???

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Current assistant coach Chad Killinger has accepted the role as interim head coach

So an assistant coach who obviously didn't understand the rules either is going to take over???
Interesting point. There may be more to this. I was struck by the fact that Macy’s contract was set to expire in mid-December. You would think that if ECU wanted to keep the winningest WBB coach in the school’s history, they would have signed her to a contract extension right after the end of last season.

Not having a contract extension undermines any coach’s ability to recruit and tells me that this departure was brewing for some time.

Reaction Score

I havent seen a report on the violation, so I dont know if the assistants knew or not.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I havent seen a report on the violation, so I dont know if the assistants knew or not.
The article indicates there was a misunderstanding about “practice rules”. I would tend to believe the assistants were all involved in practice?

Reaction Score
The article indicates there was a misunderstanding about “practice rules”. I would tend to believe the assistants were all involved in practice?

So in other words, you don't know what happened.
Nor do I.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So in other words, you don't know what happened.
Nor do I.
No. I’m quoting Heather Macy, as quoted in the article you originally posted. Every coaching staff I’ve ever known develops practice schedules together as a staff, and then coach the team together as a staff. It’s not believable that assistants would not know about violations of practice rules.

Now if you’re suggesting that I don’t know what happened because Heather Macy’s departure from ECU has nothing to do with a violation of practice rules, I may well be in agreement.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

How is it "obvious" that Assistant Coach Chad Killinger did not understand the rules?

Perhaps he explained the rules to Heather Macy, and she ignored them. Perhaps he was the one who reported her to the administration or the school's compliance office.

With all due respect @meyers7 , with the limited information that has been made publicly available, there is insufficient evidence to make a sweeping conclusion that the assistant coach "obviously" did not understand the rules.

Interesting point. There may be more to this. I was struck by the fact that Macy’s contract was set to expire in mid-December. You would think that if ECU wanted to keep the winningest WBB coach in the school’s history, they would have signed her to a contract extension right after the end of last season.

Not having a contract extension undermines any coach’s ability to recruit and tells me that this departure was brewing for some time.

Heather Macy's record at ECU while the Pirates were in Conference USA (four years):
Overall: 72–53 (.576)
Conference: 35–29 (.547)

Heather Macy's record at ECU while the Pirates were in the AAC (four years):
Overall: 62-64 (.492)
Conference: 26-42 (.382)

Coach Macy may have been the winningest coach in ECU history, but the program was trending downward since joining the AAC. The team ranked last in the AAC in 2017-18 in three-point percentage (26%), second-to-last in field goal percentage (37%), and did not have a player averaging double-figures in scoring. The program has missed the postseason altogether (not just the NCAAT, but also the WNIT) for the past three years.

With improvements at both UCF and Houston, plus South Florida being a consistent contender for #2 in the AAC, perhaps the ECU administration thought that the current issues (which the compliance office investigated) were sufficient, when coupled with her overall performance and recent trend, to warrant dismissal (or removing her from the HC position and letting her contract expire in December).

Yes, the contract expiring in December is odd, to be certain.

Reaction Score
It’s not believable that assistants would not know about violations of practice rules.

How do you know?

How do you know she didn't do some individual coaching on the side?

Or how do you know that the assistants need to know these particular rules? Maybe during the month of October you're only allowed to have 30 minute practices on Tuesdays (it is the NCAA after all ...). There are a bunch of things my boss knows that I don't because I don't have the authority to make those decisions in the first place.

You have no idea what happened. And yet presumably the story will come out in time.

Reaction Score
How is it "obvious" that Assistant Coach Chad Killinger did not understand the rules?

Perhaps he explained the rules to Heather Macy, and she ignored them. Perhaps he was the one who reported her to the administration or the school's compliance office.

With all due respect @meyers7 , with the limited information that has been made publicly available, there is insufficient evidence to make a sweeping conclusion that the assistant coach "obviously" did not understand the rules.

Bam.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How do you know?

Or how do you know that the assistants need to know these particular rules? Maybe during the month of October you're only allowed to have 30 minute practices on Tuesdays (it is the NCAA after all ...). There are a bunch of things my boss knows that I don't because I don't have the authority to make those decisions in the first place.

You have no idea what happened. And yet presumably the story will come out in time.
You’re right I don’t for sure. What I do know is that college coaching staffs spend a tremendous amount of time working together. I also know that all D1 programs have compliance administrators who’s job it is to insure that all coaches understand NCAA regulations in regards to recruiting, permissible benefits and practice; specifically when you can have formal practices, how long they can last and who can be involved.

Coaches know this stuff. I say again that it’s not believable that Macy’s top assistant did not know about practice rule violations, which is why I tend to believe that ECU wanted Macy out for some other reason.

The fact that she was hanging around without a new contract after December tells me that the administration had made it clear they wanted her out. The practice rules violation was just a convenient excuse by ECU.

Reaction Score
How do you know?

It is possible, but if the coaches didn't know they must have been a fairly lazy bunch. All of the practice rules are readily available in the NCAA bylaws, and any assistant who is worth anything should have read them multiple times. They aren't very complicated.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This kind of crap ... is crap allowed? ... well, it brings the finest out in us, does it not?
Angry bear.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Her contract was set to run through April 30, 2020.

Macy resigns amid internal review - Daily Reflector
I stand corrected on her contract. I also note that Ast Coach Kiplinger was involved in reviewing the preliminary report from the compliance committee with HC Macy, referencing “we” and commenting that the violations were “minor”.

I suspect Macy cut a deal that included a buyout from ECU. I doubt that she would walk away from the last 2 years of her contract without one.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Partially right. I was giving the assistant the benefit of the doubt.

So either he didn't know OR he did know and didn't advocate his position well enough to keep his HC out of hot water, and then went behind her back to report her. Either way, not really a person I'd want heading my basketball program. Either ignorant or a conniving little weasel. However, not my program, not my monkeys. (referring to circus, not anything to do with race, creed, religion, gender, sexual preference, political party, age, or weight :rolleyes:)

Bam.
Ehhh, not quite.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Facts:
Macy has resigned. There was an internal review. Said she regrets her misunderstanding about practice rules. Asst. Chad Killinger is now interm head coach.

Speculation:
Everything else.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Partially right. I was giving the assistant the benefit of the doubt.

So either he didn't know OR he did know and didn't advocate his position well enough to keep his HC out of hot water, and then went behind her back to report her. Either way, not really a person I'd want heading my basketball program. Either ignorant or a conniving little weasel. However, not my program, not my monkeys. (referring to circus, not anything to do with race, creed, religion, gender, sexual preference, political party, age, or weight :rolleyes:)

Ehhh, not quite.

Meyers, the article below says that the assistant coach cried when he heard the news. Surely a conniving weasel would not resort to tears to conceal his betrayal! :rolleyes:

Coach Macy to resign immediately

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom