Heather Buck | The Boneyard

Heather Buck

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I haven't seen nearly as much basketball as most of you the last couple years, but Heather Buck is the only player I've seen the last two seasons who has been able to slow down Brittney Griner (and she's done this now twice.) I know she isn't much of an offensive threat, but she seems like a physical defensive workhorse. Does anyone know why she has been in Geno's dog house/on the bench for essentially her whole career?

Reaction Score
I haven't seen nearly as much basketball as most of you the last couple years, but Heather Buck is the only player I've seen the last two seasons who has been able to slow down Brittney Griner (and she's done this now twice.) I know she isn't much of an offensive threat, but she seems like a physical defensive workhorse. Does anyone know why she has been in Geno's dog house/on the bench for essentially her whole career?
She's been reluctant to shoot. Geno doesn't like playing 4 on 5.

Reaction Score
Way too tentative. And no offense.

I think against BG she has less fear because, ironically, there's less pressure -- no one is supposed to be able to stop her, so anything she does is good.

Reaction Score
Those SNY photos of Heather were absolute knockouts! I hope Geno puts her in against Griner fairly early to see what she can do.

Reaction Score
Heather is a big strong young woman. Her problem has
always been a lack of self confidence, particularly on the
offensive end of the floor.

It's really kind of puzzing, because when she does get into
the game there's usually nothing on the line, so you would
think she could shoot with abandon since it wouldn't
matter if she missed.

Reaction Score

She is not in Geno's doghouse. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, she does not have the all around game to compete at this level. This is her fifth year and her only claim to fame is she musceled Brittany Griner successfully for 12 minutes.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
At this point in her career it doesn't make any sense to try to develop her on the court, either. Her minutes need to go to Kiah and Morgan. Tough breaks, but that happens. I'm sure she isn't that upset about it, she's got two NC rings (right? or just one) and a free education.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Those SNY photos of Heather were absolute knockouts! I hope Geno puts her in against Griner fairly early to see what she can do.
I hope he does not. That would mean, Dolson, Stewart, Stokes, possibly Tuck, were not able to handle her and/or were in foul trouble. If Buck is used early, we are in trouble.

Reaction Score
I hope he does not. That would mean, Dolson, Stewart, Stokes, possibly Tuck, were not able to handle her and/or were in foul trouble. If Buck is used early, we are in trouble.
Do you seriously think ANY of the others can handle BG? I don't think HB can either, but I do think she's probably the physically strongest post we have. I have no issues seeing her in early.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Do you seriously think ANY of the others can handle BG? I don't think HB can either, but I do think she's probably the physically strongest post we have. I have no issues seeing her in early.
Well handle her in such a way as we are not getting killed by her/them or we are holding our own against her. Griner gets 20/10 and Dolson gets 12/6 and Stewart gets 10/5 and Stokes gets 2/5, I'm good.

Reaction Score
Do you seriously think ANY of the others can handle BG?

No one can handle BG.
The key is to play strong team defense -- whether it's limiting entry passes or knowing how/when to double or whatever else we throw at her.
And to put pressure on Baylor by scoring on our end. You are not going to beat them 40-39; you've gotta be able to score points.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Link?

Reaction Score
At this point in her career it doesn't make any sense to try to develop her on the court, either. Her minutes need to go to Kiah and Morgan. Tough breaks, but that happens. I'm sure she isn't that upset about it, she's got two NC rings (right? or just one) and a free education.

She could be very useful against Baylor if she can draw a couple of fouls on BG, especially in the first half.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
She could be very useful against Baylor if she can draw a couple of fouls on BG, especially in the first half.

If you mean Heather, there is no way on God's green earth that Heather can draw a foul on Griner, offensively OR defensively.

There is a good possibility that she won't play at all in this game.

Reaction Score
If you mean Heather, there is no way on God's green earth that Heather can draw a foul on Griner, offensively OR defensively.

There is also the possibility that she is only post we have that is strong enough to keep BG from getting the low block position she prefers. She's played against her before, and had a measure of success others didn't. If you play to win games, you use the best choices you have.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, Heather deserves to be given recognition for how well defensively she has performed against Britney Griner. They have been her best minutes in UConn basketball.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I agree. If she does get playing time it would mean that BG has completely dominated the game and Geno is grasping for straws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom