Heather Buck Confirms She'll Play Next Season | The Boneyard

Heather Buck Confirms She'll Play Next Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The link in the post to the Courant? Seems like a source to me?
I believe that John A. reported this, also. There was an earlier thread.

Reaction Score
Crap, really???:eek::mad::(... I love heather's enthusiams and will to play in a prolific college program , dont get me wrong, but she has a spot on that team that can go to someone that won't start for Uconn, but when you put ehr there, will contribute a lot more in one season, than heather ever did in her Uconn career.. I'm actually very surprised she wants to stay. Her face expressions, at least on tv, portrays that of a player that can't wait to leave her college program because it is overwhelming her. Kind of Charde Houston, except Charde played very good for Geno, even under her circumstances.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Crap, really???:eek::mad::(... I love heather's enthusiams and will to play in a prolific college program , dont get me wrong, but she has a spot on that team that can go to someone that won't start for Uconn, but when you put ehr there, will contribute a lot more in one season, than heather ever did in her Uconn career.. I'm actually very surprised she wants to stay. Her face expressions, at least on tv, portrays that of a player that can't wait to leave her college program because it is overwhelming her. Kind of Charde Houston, except Charde played very good for Geno, even under her circumstances.
You got all that from some random facial expressions? Wow.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

I could hardly disagree more. This year, Heather is either the 8th or 9th player in the rotation; defensively, she's solid. There's a whole lotta kids out there who could never crack the top 10 in the UConn rotation, and, you allude to the fact that even the top programs need players who can accept a "supporting actress" role, and do it well. Heather is doing that with some grace. And, her comments belie your perception that she "can't wait to leave". She wants to participate more; that facial expression is one of concern, not disdain. If anything, she wants to succeed so much that it leads her to second-guess herself, rather than let the game come to her, and accept its' ebbs and flows. And, I don't think the Charde comparison works. Charde, for whatever reason, wasn't able to fully buy in to Geno and how he wanted things down. Heather wants to buy in.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Baloney, I say.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
With Heather and Caroline returning there will only be 13 on scholarship next year which costs no one else an opportunity to play for UConn if Geno wanted them since 15 scholarships are available.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
With Heather and Caroline returning there will only be 13 on scholarship next year which costs no one else an opportunity to play for UConn if Geno wanted them since 15 scholarships are available.
The very point I was going to make/ there's no opportunity cost.

And Heather is delighted, I'm sure, to continue playing for UConn. She is a nursing student, so she needs the fifth year for academic reasons. Having that year paid for is reason enough to keep playing.

Additionally, I think her contributions this year have been energetic and effective, particularly defensively. Although she didn't get in the Stanford game, I have a feeling we will see her in competitive games going forward this season.

Reaction Score

I disagree! I think that Heather has always wanted to be part of her college program. If she didn't she would have transferred or quit by now. She has shown something this year that we have not previously seen from Heather. If she continues to improve she will play meaningful minutes next year.

Reaction Score
Crap, really???:eek::mad::(... I love heather's enthusiams and will to play in a prolific college program , dont get me wrong, but she has a spot on that team that can go to someone that won't start for Uconn, but when you put her there, will contribute a lot more in one season, than Heather ever did in her Uconn career.. I'm actually very surprised she wants to stay. Her face expressions, at least on tv, portrays that of a player that can't wait to leave her college program because it is overwhelming her. Kind of Charde Houston, except Charde played very good for Geno, even under her circumstances.

And her spot will go to whom? Geno has given no indication that he is going to fill the roster to its max. In fact, he doesn't like to have that many players. So someone like Heather, who has been on a slow, shallow learning curve, and appears to be improving, albeit slowly, can be valuable. I have to say that I have never been a Heather Buck fan, but these last three games, I've been focusing on the new, improved Heather and have been impressed. By doing what she can, not what she cannot, she is much more aggressive defensively. I liked the lineup where she played power forward with Stef at center. Gave UConn a very different look and on occasion, Heather showed she can get a basket or two.

Is she going to be a star? No. Could she make a difference in some games this year? Absolutely, especially if she continues to improve as she has been doing. And she may be good enough to provide a few quality fill-in minutes against top-notch opponents. Not 20 minutes a game, but maybe 10.

You know, I've just reread what I've written and I have to say that I never, ever thought I would be a defender of Heather's game, but there you have it.

Reaction Score
Well, she probably would not be returning if Geno did not want her to return. So there must be some acceptance on his part. She must feel she has unfinished business and has experienced a change in her mental approach to the game. I presume she will contine her education as a graduate student. Furthermore I presume UCONN will pick up the tab for another year of education. If such is the case, then only doof would pass on the opportunity. Go for it, Kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No quit in this kid!!!!!

Reaction Score
If you click on the link it in fact takes you to John A's article which was published 7:52 PM 11/27. About 14 hours before my post. The post your are referring to is "Heather taking her 5th year?." It is full of speculation and hearsay but no confirmation.
I believe that John A. reported this, also. There was an earlier thread.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If you click on the link it in fact takes you to John A's article which was published 7:52 PM 11/27. About 14 hours before my post. The post your are referring to is "Heather taking her 5th year?." It is full of speculation and hearsay but no confirmation.
He's talking about this one....

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score

Bears don't engage in hearsay. They engage in hearseal.

080513boklores.jpg

Reaction Score
There is so much that could be said re this post! How about that I start with she will be a 5th year SR We are not recruiting anyone else for 2012.She will not have any impact on 2013 recruiting! I have a much longer list of comments. to be continued
How about if Geno,CDsr were not in total agreement with this it would not be happening:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom