Heartbreaking Endings Getting Old For Huskies | The Boneyard

Heartbreaking Endings Getting Old For Huskies

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I know from the outside us saying that we had a lot of problems is probably not what people think or expect to hear. When it comes down to us and what we think, we had enough problems to not win that last game. That's too many in my opinion. Us needing to figure out how to be at the end of the season is the most important part of each year. The last two years we weren't able to do that so clearly there are things that we need to fix as a group and individually. Each of us needed to figure out what we could have done better during the year. I think a lot of us have done a good job of looking at ourselves in the mirror and understanding what we did and what we could have done better. Personally, I just want to make sure that I'm held accountable at all times."

Heartbreaking endings getting old for UConn Huskies

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That was a great quote by Collier. Almost sounded Geno-esque. The more I hear about this team, the more hopeful I am for a legit run to the championship. I have felt for a while that making the final 4 would exceed my expectations - given what we lost, and what other teams have and are bringing back. It's not that I think there are 4-5 teams better than UCONN, but if we fell short with all we had last season, and lost what we did, I have a hard time predicting a final 4, or NC with confidence.

Then again, maybe I just need to take a page out of C-Will's book! :)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Didn't we hear similar after the loss to Mississippi State?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You know, we UConn fans see the last two years losses as heartbreaking. But what about Vic at Mississippi State? Losing in the final two straight years, the last one on a last second shot, to me is at least as heartbreaking.

Reaction Score
Excellent post-mortem, with many quotes that reflect mature and well-developed thinking on the matter. Here's a mash-up of key points:

Pheesa: "This year was worse than the previous year. We competed a lot harder this year and than we did my sophomore year. That it was such a fight and we gave it our all and still came up short was tough to take."

Lou: "It's a different feeling than from the year before. My sophomore year we played badly and we didn't deserve to win. This time we played as hard as we could. It comes down to making actual changes. It's kind of like we have no choice or we are going to have the same outcome."

Crystal: "For me, last year was frustrating in a lot of different ways and the ending was worse, way worse," There's no reason for what happened to happen. Notre Dame was the better team that night."

Reaction Score
Yes very very tough losses but both games were great games to watch and the outcomes were sensational for WBB.
It’s the truth. Seeing teams beat UConn two years straight still seems like a mirage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am surprised that Pheesa, Lou, and Crystal missed the very simple truth...both games were lost by playing poor defense. If you allow the opponents to score.as many points as you, the game will be a toss up at the end.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You know, we UConn fans see the last two years losses as heartbreaking. But what about Vic at Mississippi State? Losing in the final two straight years, the last one on a last second shot, to me is at least as heartbreaking.

Both teams were cheated this year against ND.

It's a shame that's how it had to happen.

I'm not sure when UConn wins another one.

the Q

Reaction Score
CW knows. ;)

I do appreciate the swag.

But like Stewie...it's worth nothing if you don't back it up.

Reaction Score
Both teams were cheated this year against ND.

It's a shame that's how it had to happen.

I'm not sure when UConn wins another one.

No, they were not! UConn had the ball with a chance to win both the Miss St. and ND games. Unfortunately, Chong and Williams were unable to get it done. This is/was the basis of my biggest critique of Coach Auriemma. I want my best player(Samuelson) to have the ball in her hands when the game is on the line and not option #3 or #4! ND got the ball to their best player in both the Final 4 and NC and they ended up winning.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That was a great quote by Collier. Almost sounded Geno-esque. The more I hear about this team, the more hopeful I am for a legit run to the championship. I have felt for a while that making the final 4 would exceed my expectations - given what we lost, and what other teams have and are bringing back. It's not that I think there are 4-5 teams better than UCONN, but if we fell short with all we had last season, and lost what we did, I have a hard time predicting a final 4, or NC with confidence.

Then again, maybe I just need to take a page out of C-Will's book! :)

In an earlier post this week, I said that it would not surprise me if CW became the leader of this team (as a sophomore) AFTER Collier and Samuelson graduate. She's only a freshman, and has not been on campus 2 months yet, but she's already begun to spread her infectious positive "we're coming back " attitude amongst the team. If you hear something long and often enough, you might begin to believe it. One thing we do know, she and Liv hate losing, which is why they both will blend perfectly in to the fabric and culture of the UConn women's basketball program. Like former NY Giants head coach Jim Fassel, they've already pushed all of their chips to the center of the poker table, they're all in!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I am surprised that (insert antagonists here) missed the very simple truth ..... that 3 of our players had 4 fouls and some very early in the game that should not have been called fouls. If the refs call fake fouls it is very difficult to play your game. Oh and btw we still had a chance to win :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Everything changed the second Stewie walked out the door. Since then we had so many very good players but no go to player. I think there were go to players but we played so un selfish AND we never had practice in real tense end game situations.

KLS with two healthy ankles has the determination and will be that player for us.
I assume we may also play some closer games this year. All that is positive. I would not be shocked if we make a very deep run this year.

the Q

Reaction Score
Everything changed the second Stewie walked out the door. Since then we had so many very good players but no go to player. I think there were go to players but we played so un selfish AND we never had practice in real tense end game situations.

KLS with two healthy ankles has the determination and will be that player for us.
I assume we may also play some closer games this year. All that is positive. I would not be shocked if we make a very deep run this year.

Our go to play was gabby in the high post. Because no one else could really create off the dribble. It worked really well and should’ve been the top playcall against miss st. They couldn’t stop it. But that game I’m convinced was nerves. All missed wide open shots in the paint, that’s mental.

I still have no idea why Chong ever touched the ball against miss st.

Notre dame they got hosed badly in so many ways. But the fact is the d let them down. that those heavy girls out ran them in transition is completely inexcuseable.

Reaction Score
I think rather than just a go-to player, what the Huskies need is a go-to PLAY for these situations. It might involve a certain player, but have a specific play (or two) that you keep in your back pocket and run when you absolutely need a bucket. I feel like this has been missing from Geno in big moments of close and important games. The tendency I see is to focus on motivational coaching, but rely on the players on the floor to figure out what they need to do.​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our go to play was gabby in the high post. Because no one else could really create off the dribble. It worked really well and should’ve been the top playcall against miss st. They couldn’t stop it. But that game I’m convinced was nerves. All missed wide open shots in the paint, that’s mental.

I still have no idea why Chong ever touched the ball against miss st.

Notre dame they got hosed badly in so many ways. But the fact is the d let them down. that those heavy girls out ran them in transition is completely inexcuseable.
I remember one of the reasons MissSt won was their defense and deflected passes from UConns high post that no one else could stop until that game. Miss St was great contesting high post passes

Reaction Score
In an earlier post this week, I said that it would not surprise me if CW became the leader of this team (as a sophomore) AFTER Collier and Samuelson graduate. She's only a freshman, and has not been on campus 2 months yet, but she's already begun to spread her infectious positive "we're coming back " attitude amongst the team. If you hear something long and often enough, you might begin to believe it. One thing we do know, she and Liv hate losing, which is why they both will blend perfectly in to the fabric and culture of the UConn women's basketball program. Like former NY Giants head coach Jim Fassel, they've already pushed all of their chips to the center of the poker table, they're all in!!! :)
Like NY Giants head coach Jim Fassel said “told Feagles to kick it out of bounds”. He lied. DeShaun Jackson returns punt for a touchdown. He did take the Giants to the show.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Like NY Giants head coach Jim Fassel said “told Feagles to kick it out of bounds”. He lied. DeShaun Jackson returns punt for a touchdown. He did take the Giants to the show.

Actually Tom Coughlin was the coach at the time.. And the punter was a rookie from East Carolina. They cut him the next season

Reaction Score
I think rather than just a go-to player, what the Huskies need is a go-to PLAY for these situations. It might involve a certain player, but have a specific play (or two) that you keep in your back pocket and run when you absolutely need a bucket. I feel like this has been missing from Geno in big moments of close and important games. The tendency I see is to focus on motivational coaching, but rely on the players on the floor to figure out what they need to do.​
Maybe the coaching staff mistakenly believed that 4 titles in a row was because of their offensive and defensive systems and not the skills of the individual players. They could just plug good players into those systems and win. Not having Stewie blocking everything in the lane and being the go to player when they needed a basket or two was overlooked.

Reaction Score
I am surprised that Pheesa, Lou, and Crystal missed the very simple truth...both games were lost by playing poor defense. If you allow the opponents to score.as many points as you, the game will be a toss up at the end.
Would add that a shut down guard on UConn could have changed either or both games. Kia hurt two years ago and we couldn't control the ND offense this past year. Conversely, our offense both games could have done better so take your pick.

Reaction Score
was there. One of G'men's worst collapses - up 31-10 with 8 minutes left with a first round bye likely to missing the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Would add that a shut down guard on UConn could have changed either or both games. Kia hurt two years ago and we couldn't control the ND offense this past year. Conversely, our offense both games could have done better so take your pick.
I thought Nurse was a shut down guard. She was great guarding Asia Durr in Feb. Durr was limited mostly to points during garbage time in the 2nd half. It wouldn’t have mattered if Gabby didn’t rush that last shot in regulation. It happened so fast because of a great pass by somebody. Think she was surprised the shot was open for her and how quickly she got the ball. She clanked it. That play was so uncharacteristic of the real Gabby.

Last edited:

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Yes, it is heartbreaking. I believe this year will be different. When you have players with the attitudes of Diana and Maya, look out :). I am looking forward to the season, because I know as a fan of UConn, it's going to be a fun and amazing year w/ a National Championship.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am surprised that (insert antagonists here) missed the very simple truth ..... that 3 of our players had 4 fouls and some very early in the game that should not have been called fouls. If the refs call fake fouls it is very difficult to play your game. Oh and btw we still had a chance to win :rolleyes:

Agreed. Even though a player with 4 fouls is relegated to playing defense with their hands in their pocket. Fouling out is not an option. While you may not br able to do much on defense, you can still help your team on offense. I've been watching basketball for over 60 years. I've never seen a player score a basket from the bench. As long as you are on thr floor, you have a chance to impact the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom