Health update. Mine, not our injured guys. | The Boneyard

Health update. Mine, not our injured guys.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
In case you missed my 'game thoughts' this week, I couldn't bring myself to sit through either game again to make notes. I had too good a week otherwise to let two really disappointing performances plus more bad news on the walking wounded front bring me down any further than they did watching them the first time through.

On a personal note, I finished with radiation in mid-January. I had been warned that the 10 to 14 days after radiation would be the worst, but pain was never much of an issue through the whole process, and other than losing my voice for an hour or two several times a day post treatment, then finally losing it for the better part of two weeks starting the beginning of February, I never had any of the issues with pain, hair loss, etc., that I'd been warned about.

The radiation oncologist scoped my larynx a few weeks back and said everything looked as expected. The ENT doc scoped it this past Monday, and said my larynx and vocal cords are pristine, and that there is absolutely no sign that there was ever a tumor there, nor of any damage from the radiation. My voice has returned almost to normal, but I think my career singing bass is probably over. Or it would be if I had one. I'll have regular screenings for it the rest of my life, but for now, I'm cancer free!

Today, I shaved my neck for the first time since Thanksgiving. My wife likes it better than the ragged mountain man look I'd been cultivating.

Thanks to all you guys for your prayers, support and encouragement through this. You can't imagine how much it was appreciated.

Reaction Score
as a cancer survivor myself keep up the good fight! The 2010-2011 Uconn season for sure helped to keep my spirits up. my chemo started in mid november 2010 when uconn beat msu and kentucky, on past march and all that magic, all the way until early august. glad to hear you beat it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In case you missed my 'game thoughts' this week, I couldn't bring myself to sit through either game again to make notes. I had too good a week otherwise to let two really disappointing performances plus more bad news on the walking wounded front bring me down any further than they did watching them the first time through.

On a personal note, I finished with radiation in mid-January. I had been warned that the 10 to 14 days after radiation would be the worst, but pain was never much of an issue through the whole process, and other than losing my voice for an hour or two several times a day post treatment, then finally losing it for the better part of two weeks starting the beginning of February, I never had any of the issues with pain, hair loss, etc., that I'd been warned about.

The radiation oncologist scoped my larynx a few weeks back and said everything looked as expected. The ENT doc scoped it this past Monday, and said my larynx and vocal cords are pristine, and that there is absolutely no sign that there was ever a tumor there, nor of any damage from the radiation. My voice has returned almost to normal, but I think my career singing bass is probably over. Or it would be if I had one. I'll have regular screenings for it the rest of my life, but for now, I'm cancer free!

Today, I shaved my neck for the first time since Thanksgiving. My wife likes it better than the ragged mountain man look I'd been cultivating.

Thanks to all you guys for your prayers, support and encouragement through this. You can't imagine how much it was appreciated.
Great news!!!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
as a cancer survivor myself keep up the good fight! The 2010-2011 Uconn season for sure helped to keep my spirits up. my chemo started in mid november 2010 when uconn beat msu and kentucky, on past march and all that magic, all the way until early august. glad to hear you beat it.

With neither radiation nor chemo, I tend to play down my own cancer survival, but I got a Facebook reminder that 6 years ago today I learned that my first follow-up blood test showed I was cancer-related, which has remained. I too was extra-buoyed by the 2010-2011 season. Winning.

C

Chief00

Best wishes; continue progressing!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Great news Rich be well

pj

Reaction Score
Great news Rich, congrats! Thanks for lifting our spirits!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That is FANTASTIC news Rich
My best to you and continued great health
At times/issues like that - who cares about a silly game with a round ball and 2 peach baskets

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
great to hear Rich, continued health to you!!!

Perspective huh?
That is FANTASTIC news Rich
My best to you and continued great health
At times/issues like that - who cares about a silly game with a round ball and 2 peach baskets
I bet most of us agree about this. And yet if we lose to Cinci dot dot dot.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I bet most of us agree about this. And yet if we lose to Cinci dot dot dot.
Well the predictable set of events took place and the predictable comments as well. Bringing this thread to the top just for perspective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom