Heads Up: Something to watch for in ND game. | The Boneyard

Heads Up: Something to watch for in ND game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In past years, Geno often switched his defenses depending on the result of the immediately preceding offensive effort.

Something like this: After a made basket, come back and play either MTM or zone. After a miss (or lost possession), play the other defense. He did this for a while vs. Green Bay, which may be an indicator that he has this up his sleeve for use vs. ND.

Years ago, the only zone he applied was 2-3, but in recent years (especially vs. 3-point shooting teams like Creighton or Green Bay), what I see is a 1-2-2, but my ears don't seem to hear the announcers tell me that.

Watch and see. Either a prescient heads up or a dopey false alarm.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Keys to the ND game is that Kaleena cannot be ineffective for most of the game as she was in the Stanford game. Suspect that ND will have Brianna Turner face guard KML similar to how Karlie Samuelson did for Stanford. Both are similar size players.

I'm presuming it will be Moriah, but someone will have to stick with Jewel Loyd like glue and cannot let her get off for a huge game. I look for Jewel to drive to the basket to get Geno's guards into foul trouble. Guards driving to the basket has been the basis for the success that ND has had recently on UConn. If the refs call the game like they did at Stanford, UConn guards will quickly get into foul trouble.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Keys to the ND game is that Kaleena cannot be ineffective for most of the game as she was in the Stanford game. Suspect that ND will have Brianna Turner face guard KML similar to how Karlie Samuelson did for Stanford. Both are similar size players.

I'm presuming it will be Moriah, but someone will have to stick with Jewel Loyd like glue and cannot let her get off for a huge game. I look for Jewel to drive to the basket to get Geno's guards into foul trouble. Guards driving to the basket has been the basis for the success that ND has had recently on UConn. If the refs call the game like they did at Stanford, UConn guards will quickly get into foul trouble.

Nurse.

The "help defense" has to help. Stanford enticed Stewie away from the paint, which negated her shot-blocking opportunities, and Nurse fouled out more due to inexperience tthan anything.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
UConn's guards can't play Matador Defense which gets an already thin Front Court into trouble, its why Tuck fouled out against Stanford. KML has to take whomever is guarding her off the bounce, because she's burned ND from the 3-point line and they're going to run her off of it every time. MoJet has to shoot like she did against GB and Kia Nurse has to shoot more consistently from the outside. The key may be Saniya Chong, she's an assassin with the ball in her hands and offensively she has no fear.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The key may be Saniya Chong, she's an assassin with the ball in her hands and offensively she has no fear.

That game will be an indicator of what her role in big games will be. Personally, I'll be surprised if she plays more than 10 minutes, and even that might be a stretch.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Matador Defense"

During the Stanford game I mentioned to my wife that it appeared that Mosqueda- Lewis had mastered the "tanda." All she needed was a the muleta.

She also made a couple of "passes" in the Green bay game. :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
maybery=jefferson [no threes]

Jefferson will be on Allen. KML is likely to be guarding Mabrey if last year's final is any indication. That probably leaves Nurse to guard Loyd.

Reaction Score
Ok How about we just attack ND guards and get Llyod in foul trouble. I love our chances because we have way more play maker and scorers than they do.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
We will win this game! U r right- we have more options. I think Gabby Williams could see some addl minutes possibly to attempt to defend Lloyd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom