Heads-up: KML/Bria on TV Saturday at.... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Heads-up: KML/Bria on TV Saturday at....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The step-through move the way executed in international ball, generally, requires the extra Euro step and IS called traveling under US rules.

In US ball once a pivot foot is established it must remain in place until the ball is released in Europe traveling is not called until the pivot foot touches the ground again after losing contact.

This allows a player to gain another 3' past a defender as one maneuvers a defender to one side pivots past them and then releases the pivot moving through and past to release the shot before the former pivot touches down again.

Like the Euro step on a drive in the lane it is about how one interprets when steps start and end.

Reaction Score
Recorded the game and watched it this morning (after church). I was really impressed with the play of Bria, Kaleena and Sims. They certainly appeared to be the best players on the USA team and they were the "rocks" on whom Sherri Coale depended in the clutch. ( And losing a 15 point lead gave us a potentially new definition of "clutch." ) Plaisance and Bradford were solid. Massengale was a disappointment. Marianna Tolo on the Australian team is a tough physical player. ( It would have been fun to see Stef take her on. ) But that "step through" move would certainly be a travel in the NCAA and presumably in the WNBA. Frankly, I like it, but it would require using the wider international lane. I do like the "continuation" rule in international play - it adds excitement to the game. Based on the way Bria and Kaleena are playing, the coming season could be a hoot!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Tolo, #14 for the Aussies, has played pro ball the past two years. Last season she played in France(she has already resigned for next year) and averaged 14ppg, and the previous year in Australia averaging 13ppg.
I looked at the Russian roster and 10 of the 12 players have played pro ball in Russia, most have two years experience. Some will be on the team that Nneka Ogwumike just signed with in Russia, so we are talking about an elite level league.
The USA might be the only "True" student team in the entire games.
Lets kick there butts.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In the 2011 WUG, Team USA didn't play Russia which finished 5th overall. Team USA - led by EDD, the O sisters, Diggins, etc. -- soundly beat Taiwan for the gold after a tough semi-final game against Australia (79-67).

In the 2011 WUG, Team USA defeated Russia 83-64 for the gold and was led in that game by Tina Charles' 28 pts and 18 rebounds. The 2011 team included an injured Maya (who didn't play at all), Danielle McCray, Tiffany Hayes, J.Lavender, J. Pohlen, Danielle Robinson, K.Pedersen, etc.

Reaction Score
The thing is that this team is far from the best that could have been put together if all jr and seniors would have been available. Think how much better and way more balanced this team will look with Dolson, E. Williams, Thomas (MD) and O (Stanford) to name few.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if the step through move someone commented on above is specifically banned in the NCAA, or is simply considered travelling. And I think there is some debate whether or not it is or isn't technically traveling. There are players in the W that do step-throughs.

By prohibited, I meant (like Icebear said) that it would be called traveling.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Just noticed:

Behind the AUS basket is a solid bank of dark red seats, all empty.

Behind the US basket is an active area with a walkway and large floor area at parquet level, generally white in color, with cheerleaders moving around and jumping etc (not at floor level but up one level in the arena). All this makes for a *very* busy background, lots of 'noise' and movement in line of sight when you're trying to shoot from outside.

I'm hoping the USA gets hot at the other basket in the 2nd half. Looks much easier from a shooters' standpoint. You don't often see KML draw air.
VAMike- that was some game. I just watched my recording of the game. If that Ausie post doesn't get in foul trouble and have to sit for so long- I don't think we win that game. Not sure of spelling, but Messingale from Tenn, and Arenberg from Oklahoma seamed to hurt us. Our posts were dominated at times. your observations about shooting at each hoop seamed to hit the mark. Sims is a great player. Hartley is also a terrific player and those two with KML seamed to be the anchors. That girl from Central Michigan looks kind of like Cheney Oguimake. There doesn't seam to be alot of great team chemestry, which is probably impossible in the time they have..
Also- I must have seen at least 5 travels on Austrailia-- I mean changing pivots in the low post and taking extra steps in traffic - that weren't called. And some really cheap fouls.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
The thing is that this team is far from the best that could have been put together if all jr and seniors would have been available. Think how much better and way more balanced this team will look with Dolson, E. Williams, Thomas (MD) and O (Stanford) to name few.
That is true about this not being our best.But is Austrailia diluted by other players that they could have fielded going to the other venues that our other players are going to? Or is this their absolute best??? They really ate us up at times. If their starting post doesn't sit because of fouls for so long we lose that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom