Heading to Tree House Brewery | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Heading to Tree House Brewery

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have 2 bottles. Will only partake when I have nothing to do but sip. Were you at the Release "Party?"

Reaction Score
I think you’re spot on with this list - I’d go with TH over Trillium but that’s really splitting hairs at this point. I like Fox Farm a lot. Need to include Other Half from Brooklyn for IPAs and Foam up in Burlington is off the charts as well.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

This guy knows of what he speaks.
I'm not as "down" on TH as him, but i do find the combination of palate-crushing and lack of variety a little annoying.

I still put KF Buddy Sprinkles on my Mt Rushmore.

Reaction Score
I was talking to someone while in line at TH once and they recommended Fox Farm. That will be my next pick-up.
Damn. I was in line at Hill Farmstead this Thursday ( got some Abner) and was chatting with head brewer for Feathered Friend brewery ( concord NH opening up next yr) and HE mentioned Fox Farm too!! Guess we all need to head over to Fox Farm. Btw I like Tree House too but agree they are over priced

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
For breweries closer than TH, and in CT, it would be difficult to find a mediocre beer at:

Kent Falls
Fox Farm
New Park (and they deliver statewide!)

A slight step down, but very solid, with the occasional blockbuster:

Counterweight
NEBCO
Fat Orange Cat

Reaction Score
Overpriced and overrated.
If he only gets one of those which one is better, Overpriced or Overrated? :)

As someone who has been to Trillium and Treehouse many times I would say yeah, they're both a little overpriced. But they're both great and I don't mind paying a little more for great beer. It's not like I'm drinking a case a week so a little extra isn't going to hurt. I think Treehouse is a little more consistent in making great beer. Everything they make is great, whether it's a double IPA, IPA, APA, stout, brown ale, lager, etc. Trillium makes great stuff too but just not as consistently great as Treehouse.

I've had a few of Fox Farm beers on tap at a couple places in CT and Armsby Abbey in Worcester. They were very good. But I wouldn't say their best stuff is as good as Treehouse's best stuff. But again, I've only had a few.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed their JJJuiceee Project, they had some custom Teku Glasses with the juice project logo on them when I was there before turkey day. Probably my favorite beer glass now.

But all their double IPA's are insanely smooth, an 8.5% IIPA will drink like it's 5%.
Just had some delivered to me to VA.

Did not like JJJuiceee Project

Thumbs up in order enjoyment:
Doubleganger
Vrry Green
Vrry Hazy
Mega Treat
King Julius

Reaction Score
They started to go downhill recently. Also the 2 drink minimum thing is a joke, and scaling the pour size by ABV is annoying as hell.

$65 min for buying cans also pisses me off. God this post worked me up. There are breweries in CT that produce better beer and aren’t pompous clowns.
Two beer limit? Casual TH beer fan. Rip the paper wrist band off. Go outside. Get another wristband. Problem solved

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If he only gets one of those which one is better, Overpriced or Overrated? :)

As someone who has been to Trillium and Treehouse many times I would say yeah, they're both a little overpriced. But they're both great and I don't mind paying a little more for great beer. It's not like I'm drinking a case a week so a little extra isn't going to hurt. I think Treehouse is a little more consistent in making great beer. Everything they make is great, whether it's a double IPA, IPA, APA, stout, brown ale, lager, etc. Trillium makes great stuff too but just not as consistently great as Treehouse.

I've had a few of Fox Farm beers on tap at a couple places in CT and Armsby Abbey in Worcester. They were very good. But I wouldn't say their best stuff is as good as Treehouse's best stuff. But again, I've only had a few.

Just got a mixed case myself, a friend picked it up on Thursday. I don't think Treehouse is overpriced at all. $15 for a 4 pack is less than most in the local liquor store. It's not bargain priced, but it is fair. Trillium is expensive, but then they have a lot more expensive real estate. Both charge too much for on premise pours.

As for variety, Treehouse is good at what they do, Bear is the best brown ale I've ever had. Everything is good and the IPAs are as good as any brewery, and much better than most. Trillium is better at farmhouse/saison/sour, but I don't much care for those. They are more creative with IPAs, but the result of that is a lot more misses. Fort Point is spectacular though, as good as Pale Ale gets. Trillium makes great barrel aged stouts, but I downgrade the 750ml format. I'll never buy another. They just sit in my fridge.

For German/classic styles it's hard to beat Jack's Abby, and they are very much not overpriced. Lawson's is another great brewery with very fair pricing.

We live in a golden age of great beer. Small breweries making all sorts of great beer. On the IPA side, Tilted Barn, Vitamin Sea and Long Live make great stuff. Abandoned Building was also impressive.

Reaction Score
$65 min for buying cans also pisses me off. God this post worked me up. There are breweries in CT that produce better beer and aren’t pompous clowns.
Agree with you 100% on the minimum issue. Drove home from the Cape this summer and thought to stop by their new Charlton location to grab a 4-pack or 2. Naturally I got turned away because it was online orders only and a $65 minimum...

I get that TH has been among the most popular breweries in the world for a while, but I can't fathom a brewery that actually makes it this difficult to put their beer in your hands. Pompous is a good word. Meanwhile, in NYC/CT, I can get Other Half (arguably similar quality to TH) at a reasonable price anywhere I go.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
With 12% Beer Project just 2 towns away
Have either of you picked up, and opened, their "Twelve Days of Christmas" beer giftboxes? I purchased three to give as gifts and am curious what's inside, and whether each is the same.

Reaction Score
Have either of you picked up, and opened, their "Twelve Days of Christmas" beer giftboxes? I purchased three to give as gifts and am curious what's inside, and whether each is the same.
I got the 12 days of Christmas Box this year and last - great purchase for 39 bucks! The boxes vary box to box and are a good assortment of styles. This year I got 3 stouts, 4 IPAs, 2 pales, 2 lagers and a sour. They also toss in a $5 credit/coupon to use at the taproom

Reaction Score
If you think Treehouse beers are expensive, try buying a 4 pack from Equilibrium. They're between $22 and $28 at the liquor stores around here. Now that's outrageous.

Reaction Score
Fair point on pricing. What I meant, but didn't really imply, is that I'm willing to pay a premium to have it accessible in my area in nominal amounts, versus hiking up to Charlton/Sandwich, MA and going through the difficulty/expense of buying a case-plus at TH. That's more my point - TH should be "easier" to deal with onsite if that's going to be the only place to purchase their beer, otherwise I'll gladly pay the "convenience fee" of getting similar quality beer (IMO) from OH elsewhere.

Reaction Score
If you think Treehouse beers are expensive, try buying a 4 pack from Equilibrium. They're between $22 and $28 at the liquor stores around here. Now that's outrageous.
Completely agree 1000%, and I don't even think their lineup or quality is as good as most others do. My girlfriend got me a 4-pack of MC^2 this weekend, in NYC no less, as a thank-you for doing her a favor... Can't even imagine what that cost her. Don't even want to know.

Reaction Score
For breweries closer than TH, and in CT, it would be difficult to find a mediocre beer at:

Kent Falls
Fox Farm
New Park (and they deliver statewide!)

A slight step down, but very solid, with the occasional blockbuster:

Counterweight
NEBCO
Fat Orange Cat
Go to 12%, they have Fat Orange Cat which is solid but they had significantly better stuff. Alvarium is a fun place with good brews but my sleeper pick is Coles Road 5 minutes down the street.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
TH is still trading on the reputation they built when they were in Monson. At that time, there was almost nothing comparable for NEIPAs. IMO , they havent repeated the quality in charlton.

Their beer is great. Their taproom/facility is pretty good. But neither is worth fighting through a crowd for. And it’s not like you’re supporting a family business anymore.

I would buy TH regularly if it was properly priced at a local packy. Plenty of other good options that fit that bill. (Also, I maintain a kegerator with a half barrel of Counterweight Headway, works out to be about $1.33/16 oz pour.)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You spent $170 for 2 weeks of beer?

I have not had a lot of TH brews. With 12% Beer Project just 2 towns away I don't need to, either.

I was thinking the same thing. What a Sally. That's like 4 days worth of beer.

Reaction Score
For Treehouse, I'm hearing a lot of mention of "hiking up to Charlton/Sandwich, MA" and crowds. Did you guys know that there's a branch in Deerfield, MA? It's a straight-shot up 91 and it's basically right off the highway. Very easy to get to. Plus, when I went about a month ago, there was zero crowd, just one other person picking up their order.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom