Headed To Uconn - 30 Game Cfb Trek - Coming To Syracuse-uconn | The Boneyard

Headed To Uconn - 30 Game Cfb Trek - Coming To Syracuse-uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NOTE: I posted the message below on the UConn Scout Board back on Oct. 28th. I have since been informed via e-mail, from a reader of both forums that the Scout Forum is dead, and I needto post here at The Boneyard. So, I'm just re-pasting the post as-is. But, FYI, I'm in Bridgeport now, not Miami.

Hello Husky (and Orange) fans!! I'm at the 2/3 mark of a 30 game college football road (and air) trip. A quick bit on how I got here... eight weeks ago, I was an engineer on America's Space Shuttle Program in Houston, but we flew our last mission in July and my layoff date happened to be six days before the start of the 2011 college football season.

So obviously, I am doing the wise/prudent thing this fall ;) My itinerary is simple: go to every Thursday game and then on Saturdays, go to a "nearby" game. My wife was cool with this plan so I had no reason not to do it (I saved-up a bit of $$ and I'll start the job-hunt in December/January).

Reaction Score
And so here I am in south Florida (I was at last night's Virginia-Miami game). I'm leaving Ft. Lauderdale in a half-hour or so and I'll head to Jacksonville for Saturday's UGA-Florida game, and then its up to New England for this Thursday's FSU-BC game, then to Connecticut for:

Game #23 - Syracuse at UConn on Saturday, Nov. 5th

Reaction Score
I'd like to really experience the "flavor" and atmosphere of the Connecticut campus and the stadium area and blog about it online with descriptions, videos and photos. My request to you fans is...

-- any folks interested in letting me attend their tailgating party and feature it on my website? (I'll happily pitch-in a few $$)

-- a campus-tour would be a very cool bonus (Friday, if required, is fine)

Well, that's it. If you have any questions for me, want to know more about me, either ask on this thread or e-mail me at CFBtraveler@gmail.com or PM me here.

Thanks for reading!!
JP

Reaction Score
P.S. you can follow me at any of the following online places:
www.ThursdayToSaturday.com
FaceBook: ThursdayToSaturday
Twitter: @thurtosat
YouTube: ThursdayToSaturday
e-mail:
CFBtraveler@gmail.com

P.S. #2 myself and three friends were in attendance in April when the Huskies claimed the National Championship at Reliant Stadium in Houston... a very cool event!

P.S. #3 sorry for breaking up the post so much... there's an 1,800 character limit per reply

Reaction Score
dude,
you're pretty much a rock star so U & your partners are more than welcome to join our tailgate, hopefully somewhere in the blue lot
appreciate you sharing your odessey w/ us here, i'm sure you'll find the UConn faithful to be a most hospitable lot
go FSU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You might not be aware that the stadium is about 25 miles west of campus so a campus tour would probably have to be on Friday. You are welcome at our tailgate, it should be pretty good this week. I'll send you an email tonight.

Reaction Score
socttrojan, bmayuc & Waquoit -- thanks for the kind words and the nice invitations.

Jimmy Serrano -- what should I expect Thursday? I can tell you that my posts on the BC Scout board have been met primarily with snarky and odd replies.

to the folks who e-mailed me -- thank you again, so much, for the generous offers. I look forward to meeting you all. I have replied to the e-mails (or called you back).

I'd like to say that I really appreciate the kind treatment on this board and, in advance, the warm welcome I can tell I will get from UConn fans Friday & Saturday, thank you!

Also, based on a chat last night with a knowledgeable UConn fan, and his suggestion... I would like to ask if anyone out there has an extra Blue Parking Pass??

And also seeking two game-tickets.

I can pay a reasonable amount for these items, not necessarily looking for freebies.

Thanks again,
JP

P.S. I plan to tour the UConn campus on Friday on the drive-back from Boston (to Bridgeport)

Reaction Score
Really? That's not like them.

actually, to clarify/update... as of the last two hours, I've gotten three informative replies over on the BC Scout forum... so its not all goofballs there.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano -- what should I expect Thursday? I can tell you that my posts on the BC Scout board have been met primarily with snarky and odd replies.

It's a pretty miserable tailgate experience. And then it really gets disappointing when you go into the stadium. Atmosphere is not the best. And the fans are some of worst people you'll have the unfortunate experience to meet. I'm generalizing, as I know there are some folks who root for BC that are actually decent people.

I'll send you an email shortly.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not optimal if you are a planner, but I'm sure that you'd be able to get two tickets on the day of the game in the parking lots for a reasonable price. Also, reasonable off-site parking (still quite close to the stadium) on Silver Lane. Just giving you some options!

Welcome to Rentschler and enjoy!

Reaction Score
I hope that you'll take the time to give a summary of your experience with a full weekend of New England college football when it's over.

Welcome to CT, and Rentschler. Never mind the war zone appearance to the greater Hartford area, Mother Nature decided that every tree not strong enough to hold over a foot of wet snow while still cartying all their leaves - those trees all needed to come down. Survival of the fittest.

Take the time to walk all around the stadium if you can an hour or two before game time, take in the whole scene. The players and coaches will come in and walk through the lots one one side, a few hours before game time, and there are usually all kinds of things going on the other side, and the band will play out there before the game time and march in. Talk to the people tailgating, they'll direct you.

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone!!! I'm headed to Rentschler early (NLT 8:15am) and I'll take it all in. I have some VERY nice offers from a few folks via e-mail. Thanks to all!

I toured the campus today, en route from Boston to Bridgeport. Impressive on all accounts and some lovely autumn colors to boot!

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...10854890.68717.247322175300247&type=1&theater

UConn.jpg

Reaction Score
Dear UConn fans,

With all honesty, I can say that after having been to 23 games and tailgated 23 times this season (in one form or another) that the treatment, kindness, generosity and hospitality that I received Saturday in East Hartford, was exceeded by no other place around the country. And to be clear, this is by no means an attempt to compare or rank my treatment along the trip to the many other fine folks who treated me so well at many other schools... just wanted to clearly state my observations and say thank you to everyone!!

Also, Saturday had the finest “football weather” of the entire journey so far. Thanks for that too ;) Does anyone know the average starting field position for UConn? I'm guessing its the 36 yardline!

Saturday was perhaps a Top Twenty day in my entire life: New England autumn foliage, blue skies, 43 degrees, light breeze, great tailgating (thanks all), delicious food and good drinks, 50 yard-line seats for college football (thanks Tim), and my wife at my side. Not to mention what happened that evening in Danbury (see below).

During the game, we were introduced to a cafe/bar owner from Danbury, a huge UConn fan who had also read my post here on The-BoneYard and he had been to my website. When he learned we were looking for a place to watch the LSU-bama game, he insisted we come to his place and sit in front of one of the big screen HD TVs and be his special guest. His place was full of UConn fans, the atmosphere was excellent and his chicken wings (which come in 37 "flavors") were outstanding. For thoe who don't know, consider checking out TK's American Café (255 White St., Danbury, 203-730-1776 - www.tksamericancafe.com ). And in case you missed it, my Tigers won in an epic defensive battle!!

Thanks everyone,

JP

P.S. I am certain I will return to UConn for another football (or basketball) game in 2012 or 2013.

P.S. #2 I'm sending this from 36,000 feet above the Gulf of Mexico on a Southwest Boeing 737 equipped with wi-fi... isn't technology amazing? (by the way, I'm over the Gulf because the Providence to Houston flight, SWA-1576, stopped in Orlando)

Reaction Score
JP, on behalf of all our folks at Husky HQ, thanks for sharing your experience with our Alumni, player parents, and fans at our tailgate. I wish I had gotten more time to talk, but it was a crazy turnout, kept me busy. Hope you made it over to the Doctor for one of his famous FLU SHOTS! I have some good pics I will forward soon. I have a great picture of your wife posing with Jonathan our Mascot. Please come back and visit us next year, we would love to have you guys stop in to our tailgate. I always thought our fans were the best! Thanks for the kudos. Good luck with your future travel, and job hunting. How about you make a second career out of this? JP Rates the Tailgates or something along those lines.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Dear UConn fans,

With all honesty, I can say that after having been to 23 games and tailgated 23 times this season (in one form or another) that the treatment, kindness, generosity and hospitality that I received Saturday in East Hartford, was exceeded by no other place around the country. And to be clear, this is by no means an attempt to compare or rank my treatment along the trip to the many other fine folks who treated me so well at many other schools... just wanted to clearly state my observations and say thank you to everyone!!

Also, Saturday had the finest “football weather” of the entire journey so far. Thanks for that too ;) Does anyone know the average starting field position for UConn? I'm guessing its the 36 yardline!

Saturday was perhaps a Top Twenty day in my entire life: New England autumn foliage, blue skies, 43 degrees, light breeze, great tailgating (thanks all), delicious food and good drinks, 50 yard-line seats for college football (thanks Tim), and my wife at my side. Not to mention what happened that evening in Danbury (see below).

During the game, we were introduced to a cafe/bar owner from Danbury, a huge UConn fan who had also read my post here on The-BoneYard and he had been to my website. When he learned we were looking for a place to watch the LSU-bama game, he insisted we come to his place and sit in front of one of the big screen HD TVs and be his special guest. His place was full of UConn fans, the atmosphere was excellent and his chicken wings (which come in 37 "flavors") were outstanding. For thoe who don't know, consider checking out TK's American Café (255 White St., Danbury, 203-730-1776 - www.tksamericancafe.com ). And in case you missed it, my Tigers won in an epic defensive battle!!

Thanks everyone,
JP

P.S. I am certain I will return to UConn for another football (or basketball) game in 2012 or 2013.

P.S. #2 I'm sending this from 36,000 feet above the Gulf of Mexico on a Southwest Boeing 737 equipped with wi-fi... isn't technology amazing? (by the way, I'm over the Gulf because the Providence to Houston flight, SWA-1576, stopped in Orlando)

You met TK? He's one of my favorite's. I was sad to hear they closed the New Haven location a few years back. Ate many a $.15 Tuesday night wing in there. The Tigers pulled off a great one (I am an LSU fan and native Baton Rougian myself). Good to hear that you had such a good time.

ETA: My brother and I watched the Bluegrass Miracle from that very bar in Danbury. I sure do miss their Spicy Maui wings.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear you enjoyed the game and your visit to Connecticut.

The Rent has a fantastic tailgating atmosphere. I have been to many college football games, across the country, and UCONN competes with all of them as far as tailgating goes. In game experience/traditions we are sorely lacking, but leading up to the game, a good time is had by all.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I just got around to reading this post...how incredibly cool.

I would love to do something like this in my life. Glad you enjoyed The Rent man, and safe travels.

Reaction Score
I just got around to reading this post...how incredibly cool.

I would love to do something like this in my life. Glad you enjoyed The Rent man, and safe travels.
+1

Anyone send a copy to Swofford?

Reaction Score
JP - It was a pleasure meeting you at the Husky HQ tailgate on Saturday. I've got some pix I took there that I'll send you when I get a chance. Happy for you that LSU won, but no O TDs, but then again I guess it's true (at least in this case), D wins games! Also thanks for sharing your adventures and good luck on the rest of your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom