Head clearing thoughts about the team | The Boneyard

Head clearing thoughts about the team

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I have a bunch of probably worthless takes after reading all the articles posted on the board.

1. Lou is a two-time All American playing less than 100% healthy a majority of the time. The thought of her being healthy and fully embracing the leadership role is not good news for the opponents. She might average 25 a game.

2. Geno, like most coaches, tends to exaggerate his teams' deficiencies. However, he may have a legitimate concern about the defense after losing Kia and Gabby. I wonder if they play more zone. I wonder if we see a spike in Touly's minutes if he she proves to be a willing rebounder and low post defender.

3. Some think that Geno was surprised that Z left early. I am sure he was disappointed especially if she promised him two years. However, she is 22, has her degree, is healthy and a top ten WNBA pick. Her status would not have improved that if she stayed another year. If she stayed, she might have been the third player picked off this year's team.

4. I won't be shocked if MW makes a big jump this year. She was the consensus number 1 player of the year in 2017. This kid has tons of ability. I have no idea why her playing time was so inconsistent. I am glad that she maintained her patience and stuck with the program especially in this day and age where players transfer at an alarming rate.

5. Imagine the impact if Mikayla returned and could provide ten to fifteen minutes of backup point guard play. She doesn't have to score. Defending and getting the ball to the right people would be a huge boost.

6. I bet that we hear safer responses in future CW interviews. Chris Dailey teaches those kids to be careful when dealing with the media. CW will be no different.

7. I wonder if ONO adds 10 or 15 pounds of muscle, the impact that will have on her leaping ability. I don't care if she dunks or not, I just don't want her to miss.

8. I laugh when I read that the team is working harder and trying to improve team chemistry. They are 72-2 with both losses coming on last second overtime jumpers. The team is the measuring stick for every other team in America. Including ND (even though MM is really good). I don't think lack of effort or less than optimal chemistry played a part in either loss.

9. I am still curious about the coaching dynamics with Moseley gone, Shea having a baby and Jas on the staff. I wonder how much, if any, adjustments will have to be made because of the changes.

10. Game 1 starting five: Lou, Phee, CD, MW and the Legend.

Reaction Score
Good takes on a potpourri of issues here. Regarding number nine, I'm also a little worried about the assistant coaching situation. Hopefully Geno and CD can pick up the slack, if needed. Alternatively, I would love to see Geno bring Jamelle Elliott back in, perhaps on a temporary basis to cover for Shea while she's on maternity leave.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I have a few probably worthless responses :)

2. Was thinking about this yesterday. A lineup of Dangerfield-Walker-Williams-Samuelson-Collier is scary athletic and could make for a terrifying zone defense. And I think they could rebound well enough.

4. I would be shocked if she didn't make a big jump.

7. As long as she doesn't skip leg day, I would expect no adverse effects to her leaping ability.

8. Every team is working harder than ever and has great chemistry in the summer. Just like how every year during football and baseball training camps you hear about a bunch of guys who are in the best shape of their lives, having lost 15 pounds in the offseason.

10. The Legend? So that's what we're going with? :eek:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I have a bunch of probably worthless takes after reading all the articles posted on the board.

1. Lou is a two-time All American playing less than 100% healthy a majority of the time. The thought of her being healthy and fully embracing the leadership role is not good news for the opponents. She might average 25 a game.

2. Geno, like most coaches, tends to exaggerate his teams' deficiencies. However, he may have a legitimate concern about the defense after losing Kia and Gabby. I wonder if they play more zone. I wonder if we see a spike in Touly's minutes if he she proves to be a willing rebounder and low post defender.

3. Some think that Geno was surprised that Z left early. I am sure he was disappointed especially if she promised him two years. However, she is 22, has her degree, is healthy and a top ten WNBA pick. Her status would not have improved that if she stayed another year. If she stayed, she might have been the third player picked off this year's team.

4. I won't be shocked if MW makes a big jump this year. She was the consensus number 1 player of the year in 2017. This kid has tons of ability. I have no idea why her playing time was so inconsistent. I am glad that she maintained her patience and stuck with the program especially in this day and age where players transfer at an alarming rate.

5. Imagine the impact if Mikayla returned and could provide ten to fifteen minutes of backup point guard play. She doesn't have to score. Defending and getting the ball to the right people would be a huge boost.

6. I bet that we hear safer responses in future CW interviews. Chris Dailey teaches those kids to be careful when dealing with the media. CW will be no different.

7. I wonder if ONO adds 10 or 15 pounds of muscle, the impact that will have on her leaping ability. I don't care if she dunks or not, I just don't want her to miss.

8. I laugh when I read that the team is working harder and trying to improve team chemistry. They are 72-2 with both losses coming on last second overtime jumpers. The team is the measuring stick for every other team in America. Including ND (even though MM is really good). I don't think lack of effort or less than optimal chemistry played a part in either loss.

9. I am still curious about the coaching dynamics with Moseley gone, Shea having a baby and Jas on the staff. I wonder how much, if any, adjustments will have to be made because of the changes.

10. Game 1 starting five: Lou, Phee, CD, MW and the Legend.
Worthless? Hardly.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have also been contemplating the possibility of more zone defense this coming season. Even with Gabby & Kia, UConn played as much zone this past season as I can remember, employing both a 1-3-1 and a 1-2-2 at various times during the season.

Zone defense typically allows for better rebounding, eliminates mismatches on switches, limits fouling and allows more opportunities to trap the ball and poach passing lanes. The shortcoming of a zone is that against a good shooting team that moves the ball well, you can give up a lot of open shots.

Last season at Houston, UConn employed a 1-2-2 zone for almost the entire game, forcing 28 TO’s while holding the Cougars to 35 pts on 20% shooting.

The very next game at TX, the Huskies came out in the same zone defense. The Longhorns experienced guards moved the ball well. TX got a bunch of open looks, knocked down a number of shots and jumped out to a 1st qtr lead. UConn went back to a man defense to start the 2nd qtr for the remainder of the game.

The best argument to play more zone is ND, who won a championship using only 6 players, a number of whom were not particularly strong individual defenders. But as a team that played a substantial amount of zone, ND was very effective.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I have commented (somewhat regularly) on #9 as well.
I continue to not see the value of Geno and CD taking on a massive amount of
additional responsibilities, given their age and experience (s).

Yet, obviously this is a Geno decision...one that he may rue in the future.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have commented (somewhat regularly) on #9 as well.
I continue to not see the value of Geno and CD taking on a massive amount of
additional responsibilities, given their age and experience (s).

Yet, obviously this is a Geno decision...one that he may rue in the future.
Four full time coaches plus one graduate assistant coach is a luxury and not a necessity. Frankly, I'm not sure just what exactly they all do during practice with a team of only 12 players. Years ago, basketball teams had one HC and one Assistant. Outside of "Big Time" D1 basketball, that's still the case throughout college basketball.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Lots of good points. I am also excited about seeing the "small" lineup as well.

Agree that we could see more zone from them, but I don't necessarily think it is easier to rebound out of a zone. With man to man you should be between your opponent and the basket when the shot goes up, not always easy to do that in a zone.

There are always going to be concerns. If the status of our assistant coaching staff is near the top of that list, we are fortunate!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Zone defense typically allows for better rebounding, eliminates mismatches on switches, limits fouling and allows more opportunities to trap the ball and poach passing lanes.

Zone defenses actually cause major issues with defensive rebounding. That's one big reason few teams use them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Zone defenses actually cause major issues with defensive rebounding. That's one big reason few teams use them.
That's true, if you don't know what you're doing in a zone. If you play zone correctly, you always have a weak side rebounder, which is typically where missed shots come off the rim. ND, for example, does a great job rebounding out of their zone. They give up very few offensive rebounds.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lots of good points. I am also excited about seeing the "small" lineup as well.

Agree that we could see more zone from them, but I don't necessarily think it is easier to rebound out of a zone. With man to man you should be between your opponent and the basket when the shot goes up, not always easy to do that in a zone.

There are always going to be concerns. If the status of our assistant coaching staff is near the top of that list, we are fortunate!

The status of the coaching staff is a dynamic that Geno will take care of. This should not be a distraction for the players. If Shea is not ready to come back in the fall, other arrangements can be made to bring the coaching staff up to full strength. Adjustments should easily be made by all four classes on the team. The seniors already know Jas from their freshman year. The freshmen only knew Mosley via correspondence and home/campus visits, they'll adjust quickly to Jas, as will the sophs and juniors. I really don't see a problem here.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Do not go to sleep on what a healthy Batouly brings to the table. strong defense rebounds. Perhaps a 10-10 players

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom