HCTJW | Page 2 | The Boneyard

HCTJW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he deserves a HC job somewhere. But not here. He should get a MAC or CUSA job. See if he can recruit.

I'd agree with that. I like the guy. I'm glad he was able to help get the squad a couple of W's, but I'm not ready to trot him out there as savior of the program because of it. Let's at least wait and see who throws their hat in the ring for the gig.

Reaction Score
Jesus, the guy beat Temple and Rutgers, not Alabama and Auburn.
Exactly which coach out there would take the existing UConn team and lead them to wins over Bama and Auburn?

Reaction Score
TJW and I have the same chance of being the next HC of the University of Connecticut Football Program.

I don't even think he has a chance at the OC slot. Maybe WR.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Short sited and based on emotion says the person who wanted pasqualoni fired after two games

Paul was actually a decent and almost likeable guy, but a horrible head coach for Connecticut football in virtually every respect. Anyone who thinks he got a raw deal here is beyond delusional.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
Short sited and based on emotion says the person who wanted pasqualoni fired after two games

Maybe he was emotional. He was right.

Reaction Score
I figured he was trolling me with that post so I let it go.

Beating Temple and Rutgers is not evidence that someone should be given a job as big as UConn's - but you guys like to make wild emotional decisions so all I can do is pray that the 'Rock Star' is better than that.

Yea, and CC moving the team in the 4th quarter against 3rd stringers from Loiusville and SMU is not evidence that he can do it against 1st stringers from Temple and Rutgers. I am not advocating TJW, but a "job as big as UConn's" is not going to attract the Saben's and Myers of the world.

Reaction Score
Been thinking about it, and this morning I made the decision. Warde needs to make this happen. The guy is a winner. He came from a scrappy Little Engine that Could program and was instrumental in their success. He's turned this train wreck of a program around, or at the very least he's stood on the brakes and brought it relatively under control. The players obviously respond to him. He wears short sleeves in freezer-like conditions. Gotta do it.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha.

No

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
housekeys said:
Yea, and CC moving the team in the 4th quarter against 3rd stringers from Loiusville and SMU is not evidence that he can do it against 1st stringers from Temple and Rutgers. I am not advocating TJW, but a "job as big as UConn's" is not going to attract the Saben's and Myers of the world.

So you aren't 'for TJW', But are arguing there isn't a sweet spot between 'Saben' and 'Myers' and Weist? There aren't coaches lesser than Nick Saban and Urban Meyer but better than TJ Weist?

Reaction Score
So you aren't 'for TJW', But are arguing there isn't a sweet spot between 'Saben' and 'Myers' and Weist? There aren't coaches lesser than Nick Saban and Urban Meyer but better than TJ Weist?
The sweet spot exists, but it is not all that easy to pick a coach out. The risk we get a dud is as real as getting someone better than TJW but less than Saban/Meyer. One advantage TJW has is he can be evaluated "on the job", in real world "$hitty" situations. That is worth something, just as CC performance against 3rd stringers, was worth something. That is my point.

Reaction Score
The sweet spot exists, but it is not all that easy to pick a coach out. The risk we get a dud is as real as getting someone better than TJW but less than Saban/Meyer. One advantage TJW has is he can be evaluated "on the job", in real world "$hitty" situations. That is worth something, just as CC performance against 3rd stringers, was worth something. That is my point.

A valid point.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
housekeys said:

It's very difficult. And you make a valid point.

I give TJW a lot of credit that the whole season didn't implode and I think there is real value in some wins.

I certainly understand there is a chance if he was hired it could turn out great. I just think it's a bad percentage play and it's better to start over and maybe 3-4 years from now it's time for him to come back. Maybe 3-4 years from now he's got a better job.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's very difficult. And you make a valid point.

I give TJW a lot of credit that the whole season didn't implode and I think there is real value in some wins.

I certainly understand there is a chance if he was hired it could turn out great. I just think it's a bad percentage play and it's better to start over and maybe 3-4 years from now it's time for him to come back. Maybe 3-4 years from now he's got a better job.
Exactly. I wouldn't bet the house on TWJ at this point. If he had knocked off Cincy or Louisville or UCF, or better yet, two of those 3, then I'd think about it. Yeah, he stepped into P's flaming bag of poop, so it's maybe unfair to judge him based on this season. But we do have a body of work for all the other candidates out there at HC or assistant level who have had ~3 years to establish a record. But you don't give TJ 2 more years out of a sense of fairness, because that may wind up being unfair to the program and to the young guys in the program right now.

Reaction Score
This board has more drama queens than the East Village.

The choices aren't Urban Meyer and TJ Weist, in case you weren't paying attention. It is a bunch of assistant and mid major coaches and guys who failed somewhere else. With a few exceptions, it is going to be really hard to be "stunned" by the selection, no matter who it is.

Sure does have a bunch. Some queens will actually pick worthless arguments with people they agree with just for fun.

See your first posts in this thread as Exhibit A.

Reaction Score
“@NHRJimFuller: #UConn AD Warde Manuel reflects on second straight win by football team http://Post original url/1ao4Ad7”

From within:

>>"The sooner the better but there is no timeline," Manuel said. "I want to find the best coach for UConn and for our football team moving forward. I am very proud of what T.J. has done but we want to do a national search and we will see where it goes."

Although I don't expect that Manuel will make Weist the head coach, I did ask him how much Weist has helped his cause with these two victories.

"I loved T.J. from the time I put him in and it hasn't changed from the day I appointed him as interim (coach)," Manuel said. "He is a great person, a great coach and he has done a hell of a job leading the team and we will see where it goes from here."<<

Reaction Score
I wouldn't put the won - loss directly on TJW. He did what he could with the talent he had to work with. How many times since the inception of this program has commentators said that UConnhas little room for error.

There were a number of factors that affected the team. At times it looked like the some of kids "gave up" and wanted the season to end. With PP gone, some may have had the concern of their future when a new coach arrives. Their heads weren't in the game 100% of the time........in fact I thought some prominate nationally ranked HS teams could have given them a challenge they played so bad.

And injuries.......it happens to the best of teams. Look at Florida this year, and Maryland the prior two years. Edsall wasn't fired, and neither will Munschamp be fired. Both teams have far greater depth and skill than UConn, but when the injury bug bites you hard, and you're forced to play inexperienced players, or players with a big skill drop off from your starters, chances are you lose. If Florida and Maryland can't survive a rash of injuries, how can UConn, a team with much less depth, still meat expectations.

And you have coaches trying to give the team a better chance to win by employing better techniques, better game plans. Tough for any coach to do in the middle of a season.......with starters and more so with reserves.

Yeah, the results were disappointing, but TJ didn't stand much of a chance to get us to a positive conclusion with a number of factors working against him. He has performed quite well at other locations when the atmosphere was more conducive to positive results.

I'm not too sure the so called "hot" names would really be interested in UConn or the AAC. Money won't do it. If they are as good as their resumes suggest, a bigger program can easily trump whatever UConn offers if they want them.

TJ stuck his neck out to try to help the team. He knew what he was getting into, and probably the chances of success. I don't think any of the other remaining coaches would have done any better under the same circumstances.

I don't know if he'll be back or not. I just believe some of us have been unnecessarily too critical based on his what he had to work with.

I will wish him the best whereever he lands, as I have a feeling he is better than his record shows........more so than some other coaches UConn has experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom