HC Matt | The Boneyard

HC Matt

Reaction Score
He’s a great coach and he has the intensity needed to make people better. However, I’ve given up on hoping to retain coaches. In this day and age, it’s a constant battle for every school to keep coordinators. You really have to hope that they want to stay put for a while because there is always more money available. Even the coordinators at Alabama can get bigger jobs whenever they want. You have to pay them AND hope they like where they are at the moment.

Reaction Score
Great start. Maybe see more body of work than a few games to make judgments like this. My guess is no one thought this after opening day.

Reaction Score
would love to see Matt Brock grow tons in his role at UConn, and ultimately position himself to grab the torch after JM retires (I doubt JM'll leave for another job at this point).
I like this guy, idk why.

I would rather see a head coach from the offensive side of the football. Edsall, Red Pants, Pasqualoni, Mora are all DCs. It's an offensive game. We should reflect that when JM's time is up.

Reaction Score
Brock has been great, wouldn't mind him grabbing the torch from Mora to be HC but would also prefer an offensive guy.

Reaction Score
I would rather see a head coach from the offensive side of the football. Edsall, Red Pants, Pasqualoni, Mora are all DCs. It's an offensive game. We should reflect that when JM's time is up.
No, we should go with the best person available. They should have all the head coaching prerequisites. No one needs training wheels here.

Reaction Score
No, we should go with the best person available. They should have all the head coaching prerequisites. No one needs training wheels here.

You think there will be no good candidates from the offensive side of the football?

Reaction Score
I realize offense is the name of the game today.
But I really like MB - i cant realy explain it, except for the following:

even though the temptation is to chase an offensive guru, I'm a believer that our problem is/has been mostly talent.

if we get some monsters in the locker room, the offense will do its thing. Coaching matters, but no scheme mattered when our athletes simply did not belong on the field. ask Jim Mora off the record.

In the NFL, where everyone is a beast and the talent disparity is almost non-existent, coaching/scheme becomes the differentiator indeed.
In college, i think it just becomes a race to get the talent, and the resulting talent disparity in FBS is the size of the grand canyon. No "scheme" or "offensive mind" can overcome simply getting bullied for 4 quarters - UConn has been that.

Where the power programs would once hoard the talent, NIL has become the great equalizer, I believe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great start. Maybe see more body of work than a few games to make judgments like this. My guess is no one thought this after opening day.
It's a small sample, but man has the defense be night and day difference even from the Maryland game. They're locking up on tackles, getting immense push on the line and LBs are making good blitz's. If the defense keeps this trajectory, he's going to be a hot name for DC positions at bigger schools or HC's at lower P4 to upper G5

Reaction Score
You think there will be no good candidates from the offensive side of the football?
If they are better than the rest, go for it. Head coaching is different than either side of the ball.

Reaction Score
If they are better than the rest, go for it. Head coaching is different than either side of the ball.
You can get a guy with head coaching experience that is from the offense side of the ball. Mora had head coaching experience but he came up on the defensive side.

Reaction Score
It's a small sample, but man has the defense be night and day difference even from the Maryland game. They're locking up on tackles, getting immense push on the line and LBs are making good blitz's. If the defense keeps this trajectory, he's going to be a hot name for DC positions at bigger schools or HC's at lower P4 to upper G5
You do realize he was a P4 DC last year?

Reaction Score
You can get a guy with head coaching experience that is from the offense side of the ball. Mora had head coaching experience but he came up on the defensive side.
1. I fully agree.
2. You are correct about Mora, BUT, the key is his head coaching experience.

Do you want to invest your team in a newly minted head coach? From either side of the ball? I think we need an experienced leader when JM leaves, and I hope that’s a long time away.

Reaction Score
Brock is making about $300k it looks like. We got a steal if that's accurate. He should easily be making 2x that - I hope that doesn't incentivize him to leave after this year. Hopefully they can get Brock and Sammis bigger contracts.

Reaction Score
Brock is making about $300k it looks like. We got a steal if that's accurate. He should easily be making 2x that - I hope that doesn't incentivize him to leave after this year. Hopefully they can get Brock and Sammis bigger contracts.
Maybe we need a mechanism to help UConn invest in their coaches just like they ask for our assistance with NIL????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom