HBO Producing Special:The March To Madness [merged threads] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

HBO Producing Special:The March To Madness [merged threads]

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I dunno....Kim is pretty big!!!
What are you implying?

kim-kardashian-vs-killer-whale-who-wore-it-better.jpg

Reaction Score
HBO press release:

The program, UCONN HUSKIES: THE MARCH TO MADNESS, will begin on March 1, 2017 with an hour-long special and feature half-hour episodes every Wednesday.

HBO says the series will spotlight the players, coaches and support personnel as they deal with the high expectations brought on by their recent success.

The reigning national champions, the UConn Huskies have achieved unprecedented success in women’s college basketball and are on the verge of surpassing the UCLA men’s basketball record of 11 NCAA national championships. Under head coach Geno Auriemma, in his 32nd season with the team, the Huskies have earned berths in 28 consecutive NCAA Tournaments, going to 16 Final Fours and 11 national championships. Last spring, the team captured its fourth consecutive national championship, going undefeated for the sixth time.

“We are always looking for fascinating stories that will appeal to our subscribers, and this project will shine a spotlight on one of the most successful athletic programs in America,” says Rick Bernstein, executive producer, HBO Sports. “Under Coach Auriemma, the University of Connecticut has built a tremendous program that excels year after year. Our goal is to explore why this program is so accomplished and to tell the backstories of the student-athletes who are committed to carving out a remarkable piece of history on the college basketball landscape.”

“The Huskies’ program is the gold standard in college basketball: outstanding leadership, a legacy of dedicated players and the ability to make history time and time again,” says Mike Antinoro, senior vice president, Programming and Production, IMG. “We are excited and honored to share their unique story in partnership with HBO.”

“We are absolutely thrilled to be involved in this project,” says UConn women’s basketball head coach Geno Auriemma. “Knowing the kind of high-quality content that is showcased by HBO, I am already looking forward to watching the first episode. This offers a tremendous opportunity for a lot of people to get an inside look at our university and to see just what goes into building a championship team.”

The show will air on HBO and be available on HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand and affiliate portals.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wait, is there like another Boneyard that I don't know about??
For simplicity sake I have just stopped carving you out as the exception to each and every post I make about the Boneyard - it gets so awkward writing:

'as well as the uncivil and uneducated rants of meyers7'

when speaking of the intelligence and civility others display.

While we all know the bold text to be the bane of our Boneyard existence, like Geno, we hope to disguise our achilles heel from the those who visit. :cool:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
when speaking of the intelligence and civility others display.

Well you had me just before "intelligence". That's for interrupting my pityparty.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
WOW - great! We are so fortunate to be fans of Uconn. Just a little recap:

CPTV - first place on this list - went into uncharted territory on a hope and a prayer, and led the way!

The Horde - Got in early, and has had great staying power even as the newspaper business has struggled with cutbacks.

ESPN - everyone's favorite punching bag, but they got in early and stayed committed, expanding access year after year across the world of WBB. (and provided some needed money.)

SNY - most were sorry to see CPTV lose out, but the new kids upped the ante on quality WCBB programming and expanded the access nationally. (Special thanks to ESPN and SNY for figuring out a way to work together - people don't realize what a disaster was averted when ESPN agreed to granting SNY broadcasting access.)

National Media - SI, NYT, WSJ, BG, etc. - still lagging the boys, but they have continued to expand their coverage nationally with not just the 'It Happened' listings, but actual original reporting on WBB.

New Media - Blogs, Pod-casts, Twitter feeds, etc. - constantly expanding and improving coverage of WBB, and special recognition (given a current thread) to Antonelli and Mowens for being early in the game and showing how it could be done.

HBO - late to the game, but providing another break through for the sport.

Special thanks - Current and former players, coaches, administrators, etc. for their passion, commitment, and outreach, making WBB a going concern and perhaps the most fan friendly sport around.

Special special thanks - The Boneyard - providing access and participation to almost everyone to a civil source for information and discussions about Uconn, WCBB, WBB, and interesting OT subjects. And the GREAT moderators that make it work.

EDIT - and a special place on this for Pat Summitt and Geno, and Uconn and Tennessee - they provided the spark and fed the combustion that got everyone's attention.

That's a really fine analysis, giving tribute to every rung on the support ladder of UConn success. Darn good post!:)

Reaction Score
I do hope this doesn't become a "jump the shark" moment for the season. I'm sure I'll enjoy watching, but the team, especially in this particular year, could certainly do without any unnecessary distractions.
The team has media around constantly. For example, for the past several weeks SNY has been there more than usual filming for their Huskies All-Access show which premiers next month. Not to mention of course the weekly Geno Shows which require them to film various segments with players, coaches, games, and practices, and that goes on for the entire season straight into March. If there's any program than can handle the media demands, it's this one since they've been doing it longer than anyone else.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think the debut date plays a role in this. March 1st is probably after SNY's run of All-Access shows ends, so this won't step on the toes of that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The team has media around constantly. For example, for the past several weeks SNY has been there more than usual filming for their Huskies All-Access show which premiers next month. Not to mention of course the weekly Geno Shows which require them to film various segments with players, coaches, games, and practices, and that goes on for the entire season straight into March. If there's any program than can handle the media demands, it's this one since they've been doing it longer than anyone else.

Exactly right. They are beyond use to the prying camera. However, I wonder if Geno/CD will try to impose a do not view policy on them as the team get's NCAA ready. Probably futile I suspect. Geno will just tuck a few motivators into the late segments.

Reaction Score
I have noticed that there have been more than the usual amount of cameras ands sound men huddling around the UCONN bench on several of the games and just passed it off as some local TV trying for some extra footage of the games. Turns out HBO is chronicling the 2016-2017 season. for an 1 hour special March 1st, followed by half-hour episodes on subsequent Wednesdays.

UConn women’s basketball to be featured on HBO

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have noticed that there have been more than the usual amount of cameras ands sound men huddling around the UCONN bench on several of the games and just passed it off as some local TV trying for some extra footage of the games. Turns out HBO is chronicling the 2016-2017 season. for an 1 hour special March 1st, followed by half-hour episodes on subsequent Wednesdays.

UConn women’s basketball to be featured on HBO
Well hello, Shan. :cool:

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I do hope this doesn't become a "jump the shark" moment for the season. I'm sure I'll enjoy watching, but the team, especially in this particular year, could certainly do without any unnecessary distractions.
This is where "The Hawthorne Effect" might kick in, and those being observed will modify their behavior while being observed. I'd like to think that this would not happen. But after all, look how great the New York Jets were after appearing in "Hard Knocks." In 2010, they had their best season in the past 18 years. They should have kept a knockin' ............................

upload_2016-12-7_9-0-16.png

Reaction Score
This is where "The Hawthorne Effect" might kick in, and those being observed will modify their behavior while being observed. I'd like to think that this would not happen. But after all, look how great the New York Jets were after appearing in "Hard Knocks." In 2010, they had their best season in the past 18 years. They should have kept a knockin' ........

View attachment 17430
Hawthorne effect may have worked for Amazon's 8-hour "Hard Knocks" type documentary of the Arizona Cardinals 2015-16 season. But then they went from 13-3 and NFC championship game to prolly not even making the playoffs this year.

Reaction Score
HBO does an excellent job and always excited for more content on our Huskies. I think it's great for the college fan, great for women's basketball, and obviously, great for UConn! Hard Knocks is great because it blends football with human interest, even girlfriends that aren't into football will watch it. I think this has the chance to be great (per usual, expect a lot of slow motion clips, haha).

Reaction Score
Exactly right. They are beyond use to the prying camera. However, I wonder if Geno/CD will try to impose a do not view policy on them as the team get's NCAA ready. Probably futile I suspect. Geno will just tuck a few motivators into the late segments.

He puts motivators in every statement, post game, All Access, etc... Every word Geno says is calculated to his team, the opponent, the bball universe, etc... Geno plays psychological warfare at the level of the best coaches in pro sports.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Exactly, this is national and be probably like "Hard Knocks" with 1 NFL team a yr. Also, surely HBO is giving UConn a decent sum for this beyond the exposure. As if UConn needed any more help with recruiting, but now they get a documentary reality series by HBO. Fire up the complaining by other schools in 3,2,1..Go!

When our program has won 11 NC's including the last four in a row, we've more than earned the notoriety to have these kinds of shows. Let everybody else complain if they want to.

Reaction Score
When our program has won 11 NC's including the last four in a row, we've more than earned the notoriety to have these kinds of shows. Let everybody else complain if they want to.
I agree. It's especially funny seeing ND fans complain. It's no fair that Geno is the national team coach! It's no fair that UConn gets extra media coverage! Meanwhile ND's entire athletic department exists only because of their special preferential treatment within college sports. So much jealousy over a mid-major school's women's basketball team.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
This is where "The Hawthorne Effect" might kick in..
View attachment 17430
-Another night on the Boneyard….

Instead of starting tonight’s work, figured a little procrastinating on the Boneyard couldn’t hurt me much.

-So,... thanks to you both, gentlemen, for introducing me to this whole Hawthorne Effect thingy. Thanks guys. Thanks. I guess. Yeah, thanks a lot. OMG, why does this keep happening to me…

-So right after reading your linked article, I then spent the next 25 min Googling for every lame Hawthorne joke I could find.

. Yeah, thanks a lot. This whole stupid Hawthorne Theory’s turned out to be anything but productive for me! And you can tell Hawthorne, for me, he can stick that right up his Cognition Y axis, too!!!
upload_2016-12-10_23-7-27.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog