Hayes vs. Alcindor | The Boneyard

Hayes vs. Alcindor

Reaction Score
For the elder 'yarders out there, an Edey vs. Clingan rematch reminds me of the classic battle between Elvin Hayes and Lew Alcindor (Kareem) on January 20, 1968. This game was the start of putting college basketball at the forefront of televised sports. I remember watching the game on my family's 19 inch black and white television. Very grainy but exciting nonetheless!

Reaction Score
Lol I hope Clingan and Edey end up as hall of famers and this can be the game of the 21st century. But I doubt it.

Reaction Score
I remember much of the game. Watched on a Saturday night. Dick Enberg I think. Something like 71 69 Houston. Pretty sure Alcindor had an eye injury. I believe it was on pretty late.

Reaction Score
For the elder 'yarders out there, an Edey vs. Clingan rematch reminds me of the classic battle between Elvin Hayes and Lew Alcindor (Kareem) on January 20, 1968. This game was the start of putting college basketball at the forefront of televised sports. I remember watching the game on my family's 19 inch black and white television. Very grainy but exciting nonetheless!

I watched thst game , my daughter was born the next week , and your right it was huge . Houston eked out a win stopping a long UCLA streak . I believe it was played in a football stadium unheard of at the time 52,000 people in The Astro-Dome.
UCLA destroyed them in the much anticipated rematch in the NCAA tourney .

Reaction Score
I remember the game. In context, that game featured the end of an unbelievable, and probably never to be repeated, college BB winning streak.

Wooden arguably the top coach ever, based on record and number of championships, but legacy tainted a bit by a booster named Sam Gilbert.

If you want to compare this year's potential game to that game, the common denominator would be the match up of the two dominant bigs of this particular year.

Skill wise and based on their NBA tenures, it would be a stretch now to equate Edey and Clingan to Hayes and Kareem.

If time proves otherwise, happy for these current fine college basketball players.

More below on Sam Gilbert:

Reaction Score
I remember the game. In context, that game featured the end of an unbelievable, and probably never to be repeated, college BB winning streak.

Wooden arguably the top coach ever, based on record and number of championships, but legacy tainted a bit by a booster named Sam Gilbert.

If you want to compare this year's potential game to that game, the common denominator would be the match up of the two dominant bigs of this particular year.

Skill wise and based on their NBA tenures, it would be a stretch now to equate Edey and Clingan to Hayes and Kareem.

If time proves otherwise, happy for these current fine college basketball players.

More below on Sam Gilbert:

OK Coach Wooden, the great grandfather of NIL! Nothing has changed except the delivery is transparentish, and more folks are playing!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom