Hawkins, Jackson potentially returning Friday | The Boneyard

Hawkins, Jackson potentially returning Friday

Reaction Score
My guess is Diarra and Alleyne move to the bench. Off chance Karaban and Andre plays the 4.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
My guess is Diarra and Alleyne move to the bench. Off chance Karaban and Andre plays the 4.
This team will keep going at opponents in waves. No let up or drop off in the rotation with guys of that caliber coming off the bench + Clingan it’s unreal. A lot of future nba/high level pro talent. Hoping Samson has a speedy recovery. Hurley’s deepest team yet was no hyperbole.

Newton’s incredible performance tonight and the role he played within the system should be exciting for the Castle fam.

I imagine Stephon will be keeping a close eye on how the staff utilizes both Newton and Jackson this season.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Not sure we have time to ease them back in…just a few games to get cohesion before PKI, cant see them not starting.

Reaction Score
So excited about the almost hockey line change we can do
Starting:
Newton/Hawkins/Jackson/Karaban/Sanogo
2nd Line:
Diarra/Calcaterra/Alleyne/Jackson/Clingan
Foul Trouble Hail Mary
Springs/Romouglou

I think Jackson ends up playing 35 MPG to bridge that size gap between the bench and the starters and he makes an ideal 4 with that lineup of shooters off the bench.

Reaction Score
Starting:
2nd Line:
Foul Trouble Hail Mary
Springs/Romouglou

I think Jackson ends up playing 35 MPG to bridge that size gap between the bench and the starters and he makes an ideal 4 with that lineup of shooters off the bench.

Ideally, we have no one playing more than 30 MPG. RJ last year played 33 MPG and we had NO other decent option at the 1. We have 2-3 guys that can play Andre's position.

Reaction Score
It’s scary because we’ve shot the ball pretty poorly and still dominated in every game we’ve played while missing 3 of our starters. We’ll see how our defense holds up in conference play, but I expect our offense is going to get much better as the season progresses. I’m starting to think we look more like a top 10 team than a fringe top 25 team, but PKI will tell us a lot more. Seems like we have 2-3 guys who can be “go to” guys when we need a critical bucket. Last year we really only had Cole in that role who could create for himself. Getting these guys in tight end of game situations will tell us more, but you can already tell that guys like Karaban and Diarra have those intangibles that they’re just going to make hustle plays in critical situations. Let’s get healthy and start steam rolling everyone!

Reaction Score
Ideally, we have no one playing more than 30 MPG. RJ last year played 33 MPG and we had NO other decent option at the 1. We have 2-3 guys that can play Andre's position.
Agreed, but if Samson is truly out long-term then AJ becomes the default 4 since Springs isn't being given a lot of run and Sanogo+Clingan isnt happening

Reaction Score
Agreed, but if Samson is truly out long-term then AJ becomes the default 4 since Springs isn't being given a lot of run and Sanogo+Clingan isnt happening

Sure. And Karaban at the 4 commanding 29 MPG right now. I think playing Jackson 15 MPG at the 4 and 15 MPG at the 3 is probably reasonable considering we have Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins, Diarra and possible Calcaterra all getting minutes split up on the other perimeter positions. Karaban can play some 3 as well if we ever do put Springs in the game for a few minutes here or there.

Reaction Score
It’s scary because we’ve shot the ball pretty poorly and still dominated in every game we’ve played while missing 3 of our starters. We’ll see how our defense holds up in conference play, but I expect our offense is going to get much better as the season progresses. I’m starting to think we look more like a top 10 team than a fringe top 25 team, but PKI will tell us a lot more. Seems like we have 2-3 guys who can be “go to” guys when we need a critical bucket. Last year we really only had Cole in that role who could create for himself. Getting these guys in tight end of game situations will tell us more, but you can already tell that guys like Karaban and Diarra have those intangibles that they’re just going to make hustle plays in critical situations. Let’s get healthy and start steam rolling everyone!
I agree and when I see us play I think we can be a top 10 caliber team when fully healthy. But then you switch channels and see Duke/KU and I think the talent on the floor is eye opening and seemingly significantly higher than ours. It could be I’m underselling our talent, but some of the plays and finishes made by freshman in that game were really good.

Reaction Score
Here's how I see the general rotation (matchups and hot hand will change it up) with Hawkins+Jackson back but no Johnson...

Starters (stay in at 1st media)2nd media timeout (12:00)3rd media timeout (08:00)4th media timeout (04:00)2nd Half starters 1st media timeout (16:00)2nd media timeout
(12:00)
3rd media timeout (08:00)4th media timeout (04:00)
NewtonDiarraDiarraNewtonNewtonDiarraDiarraNewtonNewton
HawkinsAlleyneCalcaterraHawkinsHawkinsAlleyneCalcaterraAlleyneHawkins
JacksonHawkinsAlleyneAlleyneJacksonHawkinsAlleyneHawkinsJackson
KarabanJacksonKarabanJacksonKarabanJacksonKarabanJacksonKaraban
SanogoSanogoClinganSanogoSanogoClinganClinganSanogoSanogo

Newton - 24 min
Hawkins - 32 min
Jackson - 32 min
Karaban - 24 min
Sanogo - 28 min*
--
Diarra - 16 min
Alleyne - 24 min
Clingan - 12 min*
Calcaterra - 8 min

*Might do 5 min increments for Clingan/Sanogo to get them to 25/15 instead of 28/12.

Reaction Score
The shooting numbers should go up as the team gets more comfortable and develops some chemistry. This has been somewhat delayed because of injuries. The silver lining is DH really got a chance to see what the new guys bring to the table.

Reaction Score
Newton - 25 mpg
Hawkins - 25 mpg
Jackson - 28 mpg
Karaban - 25 mpg
Sanogo - 28 mpg

Diarra - 18 mpg
Alleyne - 22 mpg
Calcaterra - 12 mpg
Clingan - 12 mpg
Springs - 5 mpg

I think you'll see something like this until Samson gets back (not necessarily exactly what you'll see Friday, but eventually). Once Samson is back, Springs won't play and he'll split the 4 with Karaban depending on game flow. Would love Donovan to get more than 12 minutes, and he will some games, but we aren't really set up to play him and Sanogo together at this point.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Starting:
2nd Line:
Foul Trouble Hail Mary
Springs/Romouglou

I like it.

BTW, Romouglou from only seeing him in a couple possessions seems like he should be getting minutes next season ?

Reaction Score
I agree and when I see us play I think we can be a top 10 caliber team when fully healthy. But then you switch channels and see Duke/KU and I think the talent on the floor is eye opening and seemingly significantly higher than ours. It could be I’m underselling our talent, but some of the plays and finishes made by freshman in that game were really good.
I think you're underselling us, I thought Kansas and Duke looked fairly unimpressive.

Reaction Score
I like it.

BTW, Romouglou from only seeing him in a couple possessions seems like he should be getting minutes next season ?
Agreed. Who knows what the roster will look like next season...we have 5 freshman coming up but at the same time only have 1 of 13 scholarship players this year who doesn't have any eligibility left. But agreed; definitely a guy I could see contributing in the future.

Reaction Score
When we're missing 2 of our 3 best players there's definitely a talent gap there

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
IMO, subbing often when it isn't needed ruins chemistry and keeps players off the floor who should be on as much as possible. We shouldn't sub just to sub. Play the best players in the best lineups based on the flow of the game.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Off subject but can someone tell a website that includes +/- in college bball box scores? Thanks

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Sure. And Karaban at the 4 commanding 29 MPG right now. I think playing Jackson 15 MPG at the 4 and 15 MPG at the 3 is probably reasonable considering we have Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins, Diarra and possible Calcaterra all getting minutes split up on the other perimeter positions. Karaban can play some 3 as well if we ever do put Springs in the game for a few minutes here or there.
If we're playing 4 out, does it really matter who we call a 3 and who we call a 4?

Reaction Score
If we're playing 4 out, does it really matter who we call a 3 and who we call a 4?

IMO, yes. They have different roles offense. Karaban playing the 4 does a lot of screening and verh little ballhandling. It is a different role in our offensive system, despite all 4 playing "out."

I would always prefer Jackson in a ballhandling role. Which is why Karaban's development is close to a necessity on this team with Johnson out.

Defensively Jackson is so switchable it doesn't really matter versus most teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom